Fury vs Wilder III in Relation to the UFC/MMA Discussion Mega Thread

Fury-Wilder shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Ali-Frazier.

The best MMA trilogies are probably Wandy-Rampage, GSP-Hughes and Chuck-Randy. The funniest is Tito-Ken.

Last edited:
Some notable triologies I can think of:

Chuck vs. Randy
Cain vs. JDS
GSP vs. Hughes
DC vs. Stipe
Dustin vs. Conor
Edgar vs. Maynard
Tito vs. Shamrock
Stout vs. Fisher

No tbh. Lol for even putting Tito v Ken on the list.

Edgar v Gray would have to be number 1 but UFC just hasn't had many good trilogy's.

Not for Ali vs Frazier no. But for Fury vs Wilder, I'd say Edgar vs Maynard is more exciting due to the quality of the second and third fights, whereas Fury vs Wilder was mostly a one sided trilogy if you tally up the rounds.

We need that Jacare vs Camozzi trilogy!

Not really a trilogy, the 3rd fight was just a redo of the 2nd fight and the same guy was dominant every time minus the clash of heads.

to be fair, Big Nog was doing better in the finals of the GP than he did at Shockwave. Shockwave 04, that Fedor, would beat every single fighter that's ever competed in the sport.

DC- Stipe is the closest we got in MMA, followed by Conor- Dustin.

I have a feeling that Ngannou- Gane might be a trilogy in the making.

Max- Volk could be a trilogy and maybe even a quadrology.

Izzy-Whittaker would be an amazing trilogy if Whittaker takes the rematch

Wouldnt Cain/JDS fit that bill more than Fury/Wilder? they were both in their 20s, both had a ton of momentum coming off of dominant wins over top opponents. Whereas Fury went into the Wilder fight having looked terrible against two cans, and was visibly out of shape, only being back for like 6 months after almost 3 years of inactivity where he had had a mental breakdown and ballooned up to around 400lbs. Wilder was coming off of a life and death fight against a 40 year old Ortiz which was his only win at elite level. Cain and JDS were the consensus two best HWs at the time, whereas Fury was randomly promoted to no7 by Ring magazine once the fight was signed, pretty much everywhere had AJ ranked no1 and Wilder no2. Cain and JDS are both largely viewed as top 10 HWs ever, Cain more like top 5. Wilder is probably in the 30-50 range and Fury still has work to do to solidify himself as all time top 10.

In 2018 the fight everybody wanted to see was AJ/Wilder, when Fury/Wilder, a much smaller fight on paper, was signed instead there was as much "wtf?" as excitiement. The consensus was Fury was too ring rusted, out of shape and pillow fisted and would get his head taken off, the knockdown he suffered at the hands of cruiserweight Steve Cunningham was often cited. The final fight in the trilogy was viewed as unnecessary and an obstacle to unification more than anything, again this was like the consolation prize rather than the HW fight people wanted to see.
I initially addressed Cain-JDS in my post, as I do think it's the most relevant MMA trilogy we've seen, but I ultimately deleted that part of my post. So I appreciate you brining it up, and I think you have valid points. But I think Cain-JDS falls short for a couple reasons.

First, it simply wasn't competitive enough and there weren't the major swings in momentum. The first fight was so quick that nothing really happened, aside from the one big punch JDS landed. And in retrospect, it seems pretty obvious that the outcome was a one-off (i.e., it was the literal expression of the "puncher's chance"). And the second and third fights weren't even remotely competitive or dramatic.

Second, Fury-Wilder is simply a much more historically relevant fight. Fury was the undefeated lineal champ, while Wilder came into the trilogy with and an unprecedented undefeated record of 40-0 with 39 KOs. And although what you say about Cain and JDS was true at the moment, that was simply a product of the fact that MMA is a very young sport. I'm a JDS fan, but if we're being honest, both Cain and JDS are already slipping down the HW GOAT ladder. Boxing in its modern form has been around for over a century, with much of that time being spent in the limelight as one of the biggest sports on the planet. With all that history as context, it's historically noteworthy that Fury will most likely go down as a top 10 (or potentially higher) HW GOAT, with Wilder most likely landing comfortably in the top 20. A century from now, I can't imagine that either Cain or JDS will hold such lofty positions in MMA's historical pecking order.

To go old school, Bas Rutten versus Frank Shamrock is undoubtedly one of the GOAT.

BlondReliableArabianoryx-size_restricted.gif

AcclaimedCrazyAuklet-size_restricted.gif

GrandioseUnripeDartfrog-max-1mb.gif

AbleOblongBluebreastedkookaburra-max-1mb.gif

BlueIllinformedEthiopianwolf-max-1mb.gif

Sc5hzG.gif

6OQRTmb_MlIMYI3CM1CtodjguHST7fcupM36J38dH-abaw_-Yzc8k3gwvJ93Gr8HCKLiSwB_gKmKhPEXhA6jv-d2rSXA56TiQQkQxH0x

It matters not, what is being discussed is the revenue split.

We know from court discovery the UFC is paying an average of 18% to fighters the last decade. That includes every single penny attributed to fighters - every bonus, PPV share, the insurance plan, even the performance institute. They are getting pennies on the dollar.

If you have 5 events or 500, the % split between the promoter and the fighters are the only thing that matters. The UFC is keeping damn near ALL the money generated by fighters. Over 80% of it. We know from financial filings they have record profits. No way in the world that can be justified or considered fair.

I think 18% was just in money paid to talent. All the perks weren't rolled into that number. The perks come out of the 80% along with all the other costs. Revenue and Profit are two different things.

The % split isn't the only thing that matters. Strikeforce had a 97% split with it's fighters, they then went out of business.

https://www.totalsportal.com/boxing/tyson-fury-vs-deontay-wilder-3-purse-payouts/

Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder 3 Purse Payouts:
Wilder vs Fury (First Fight): Back in December 2018 in their first fight which was a split draw decision Deontay Wilder was the A side and earned around $9m to $12m . While Tyson Fury had to be content with 40/60 share of the purse and cleared around $6.75m to $8.75m.

Fury vs Wilder II (Second Fight): Their second fight was billed as one of the biggest heavyweight showdowns in recent history and it did well with PPV buys (generating around 850,000 ppv sales only in the US and another 400,000 in the UK). Both Fury and Wilder shared the purse and PPV revenue on 50/50 basis clearing minimum of $25 million each.

Fury vs Wilder III (Third Fight): However for the third fight both fighters will be a taking a pay cut so to speak considering the hype around the fight is not as much as the first rematch. That is largely down to the fact that many believe Fury have been so dominant in the first two fights that third fight is not actually needed. For many experts wilder has realistically won only 2 of the 19 round between the two rest were either dominated by Fury or could have gone either way. So promoters are not expecting same PPV numbers as their second fight resulting in less revenue and ultimately less purse for both.

However it will still be bigger purse than the first bout and if third fight can generate around 500,000 ppv buys in the US and another 300,000 in the UK both fighters will earn around $12 to 15 million easily. Thing to be noted here is that Fury is the A side heading into the third fight and will take home 60/40 split in his favor.

FIGHTERS
PURSE DETAILS
T.FURY $10 million guaranteed plus share of PPV revenue depending on PPV buys numbers. Set to clear between $12 to 15 million.
D. WILDER $8 million guaranteed plus share of PPV revenue. Might clear btween $10 to $12 million.

I think 18% was just in money paid to talent. All the perks weren't rolled into that number. The perks come out of the 80% along with all the other costs.

You would be categorically incorrect.

It includes every single penny attributed to line items under fighter pay - every PPV bonus, every discretionary bonus, the cost of the insurance plan and more recently the performance institute. This is public record and not up for debate, its a fact and widely published. Please look this up yourself, don't take my word for it.

The % split isn't the only thing that matters. Strikeforce had a 97% split with it's fighters, they then went out of business.

We also know from financial filings that the UFC is having, literally, record profits.

This is after earn outs in the tens of millions and a 50mm/year management fee going to Endeavor.

There is plenty of money, the UFC is just keeping all of it. UFC fighters are getting pennies on the dollar.

You guys keep acting like Tyson got paid for the fighting, we bought tickets to watch his after fight singing

Lol

Wilder-Fury was trash. Wilder should have lost the first fight, and the second fight should have ended it. Only got the third fight because of a BS rematch clause

Just because somebody "should have lost" or it "should have ended" because of one decisive win doesn't make it trash or any less of a trilogy. Regardless of how the fights got made or who won, they all had great stories to them. You can pretty much downplay any fight if you really want to.

These aren't valid reasons for a "trash" trilogy. Hence why the vast majority believe it to be an all time great trilogy.

Because they don't want to get ktfo and think they have a better chance at a sport lol.

Also most people aren't fighters at heart either.

Exactly -- the actual athletic HW size guys in other sports don't think it'd be nearly as easy to win a boxing HW championship (and the tens of millions that comes with it) as fans think. That is, those athletic guys think the HW division is anything but terrible.

Back