Fury vs Wilder III in Relation to the UFC/MMA Discussion Mega Thread

I'm not really into boxing so I probably prefer just about every MMA trilogy except for Arlovski Vs Sylvia.

Fuck that third fight with a tyre iron.

I doubt anything can come close to Ali vs Frazier especially the 1st and the 3rd one. It is a once-in-a-lifetime rivalry. I recently saw the 1st fight in high definition on TV and was blown away by it especially the pace at which Frazier was working Ali's body for that many rounds. The third one was even more crazy.

well Ali-Frazier no but there is no shame in that

few events in sports history come close to that

fury-wilder sure you could maybe argue some

You’re just wrong for bringing your boxing shit into the UFC discussion forum. Why can’t you clowns hang out where you belong?

A trilogy where one guy won a handful out of 30 rounds. Sounds compelling, and competitive as fuck to me?? You’d at least expect a split in the series.

There is a big, BIG gap between Fury/Wilder and Ali/Frazier, or even Holyfield/Bowe or Gatti/Ward. Shit I even preferred the RJJ/Tarver trilogy.

As far as MMA goes, even just sticking to the HWs i'd put Cain/JDS on the same level as Fury/Wilder. The first time round it truly felt like irresistible force vs immovable object. Both guys looked like monsters, the best of so called new generation of HWs. Cain coming off of the destruction of Brock, JDS coming off of a domination of Carwin. The two of them colliding in the main event of a landmark card ie the first Fox show. Then that crazy quick ending, only for Cain to come back and take years off Juniors life in the next two fights.

Conor/Dustin was bigger in scale than Fury/Wilder, the 2nd and 3rd fights anyway. Chuck/Randy has a lot of nostalgia value because they were some of the first UFC fights (and fighters) that felt like they crossed over into the mainstream. GSP/Hughes would have to be up there too especially in retrospect knowing how GSPs career would go after the trilogy.

well Ali-Frazier no but there is no shame in that

few events in sports history come close to that

fury-wilder sure you could maybe argue some
The difference between Ali Frazier and Fury Wilder was that Wilder never won a fight like Joe and the second Fury Wilder fight was not competitive and was a blow out. However, the one thing Fury Wilder has that tops Ali Frazier was the extreme moments of drama, like the "undertaker rising from the grave" knockdown, the two knocks downs in the 4th round of the trilogy fight, 9 knockdowns in the total series, etc. Both fights had a sociopolitical vibe, this one was more race based and Ali vs Frazier was more what it meant to be a good black man vs an "Uncle Tom" and Christian vs Muslim. Both Wilder and Frazier got versions of Ali and Fury that were not fully back in their peak condition and had been off a while, and as a result they did not win the first but then swept the last two of the series.

We will probably live a long time before we have a HW title trilogy like either of those fights. At this rate, it appears they pop up every 60 years or so, so maybe in 2080 we will are lucky.

Some notable triologies I can think of:

Chuck vs. Randy
Cain vs. JDS
GSP vs. Hughes
DC vs. Stipe
Dustin vs. Conor
Edgar vs. Maynard
Tito vs. Shamrock
Stout vs. Fisher

Lol at putting Firy-Wilder in the same sentence as Ali-Frazier

Both top 5 heavyweight trilogies, so of course they go in the same sentence.

Ali Frazier will likely always remain as #1, but they both had high drama, entertainment, high stakes, great style match up, great build ups, and best vs the best.

The 2nd Ali Frazier fight didn't really match the 1st or 3rd. It was more one sided from Ali. Frazier wasn't long off of that Foreman loss. Fans should appreciate both of them

Edgar/Maynard 2 and 3 are good, but the first fight between them nobody remembers because it was a boring fight.

I’d probably pick Spencer Fisher/Sam Stout or DC/Stipe if it has to be title fights.

This is personal preference so there’s really no wrong answers.
hahaha...this is Sherdog. Every answer is a wrong answer.

PS my favourite quadrilogy is Wanderlei Silva vs. Quinton Jackson.

Reactions: Cid
Melendez Thomson is better than almost every MMA trilogy named ITT

No MMA trilogy is on the level of Ali Frazier

Melendez Thomson, Rampage Wand and Frankie Gray are close or about Fury Wilder level but Rampage Wand did have a 4th

If Eddie and Chandler fought again that'd prolly be above Fury Wilder. There have been other boxing trilogies better than Fury Wilder BTW I hope no one is uneducated enough on boxing history to think Fury Wilder is a top 2 trilogy ever

The simple answer is no. Ali-Frazier is in a category by itself -- nothing in any combat sport is even remotely close. But I don't think MMA has had a Fury-Wilder level trilogy yet either. Two all-time greats fighting 3 times in their prime for the title, with huge momentum shifts and high drama, is something we haven't seen in MMA.

MMA as a sport is probably a bit too young for these kinds of comparisons.

Lol
Both top 5 heavyweight trilogies, so of course they go in the same sentence.

Ali Frazier will likely always remain as #1, but they both had high drama, entertainment, high stakes, great style match up, great build ups, and best vs the best.

The 2nd Ali Frazier fight didn't really match the 1st or 3rd. It was more one sided from Ali. Frazier wasn't long off of that Foreman loss. Fans should appreciate both of them
Wilder-Fury was trash. Wilder should have lost the first fight, and the second fight should have ended it. Only got the third fight because of a BS rematch clause

Two all-time greats fighting 3 times in their prime for the title, with huge momentum shifts and high drama, is something we haven't seen in MMA.

Wouldnt Cain/JDS fit that bill more than Fury/Wilder? they were both in their 20s, both had a ton of momentum coming off of dominant wins over top opponents. Whereas Fury went into the Wilder fight having looked terrible against two cans, and was visibly out of shape, only being back for like 6 months after almost 3 years of inactivity where he had had a mental breakdown and ballooned up to around 400lbs. Wilder was coming off of a life and death fight against a 40 year old Ortiz which was his only win at elite level. Cain and JDS were the consensus two best HWs at the time, whereas Fury was randomly promoted to no7 by Ring magazine once the fight was signed, pretty much everywhere had AJ ranked no1 and Wilder no2. Cain and JDS are both largely viewed as top 10 HWs ever, Cain more like top 5. Wilder is probably in the 30-50 range and Fury still has work to do to solidify himself as all time top 10.

In 2018 the fight everybody wanted to see was AJ/Wilder, when Fury/Wilder, a much smaller fight on paper, was signed instead there was as much "wtf?" as excitiement. The consensus was Fury was too ring rusted, out of shape and pillow fisted and would get his head taken off, the knockdown he suffered at the hands of cruiserweight Steve Cunningham was often cited. The final fight in the trilogy was viewed as unnecessary and an obstacle to unification more than anything, again this was like the consolation prize rather than the HW fight people wanted to see.

Fedor vs Nog: Fedor as an underdog dominated Big Nog on the ground in the first and took his belt. The second fight was the final for the HW grand prix and it was a competitive fight until the accidental clash of heads and the NC. The third fight was a standup fight that Fedor dominated that sealed the rivalry

Conor vs Dustin in terms of hype and PPV buys (for the last two fights)
It’s an apples and oranges comparison but that’s a fine choice.

Back