Full camp Volk would have done better

On his twitter Sean O'mally actually asked a good question:

Would Volk have finished Islam if Volk had a full camp and Islam came in on 2weeks notice?

There is no evidence he would have done any better with a full camp.

Volk fought a 50% Mak, and Mak still won 4-1, a hydrated Mak would easily beat Volk anytime, anywhere, at any given time.

No just no. He was dominated and beaten easily 4 rounds to 1 in their first fight and knocked unconscious in the first round in their second fight. He is too small. End of story.

Don't get me wrong: I from the started said that if Islam finishes Volk early he should get massive credit. And wrote a thread cementing that position in the ongoing storm of people trying to discredit Islam
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/islam-should-get-massive-credit.4311564/

However, the view that Islam should get massive credit is compatible with the view that Full camp Volk would have done better, and they are, indeed, both also true. Here is the analysis of why full camp Volk would have done better:

Volk is not an "intuitive fighter", but rather a "cerebral fighter". You can see Volk in there thinking when he is fighting. Moreover, for the parts of his game where in the cage there is no time to think, he has drilled in good habits and that is what carries him through rather then his good intuitions. This should not only be obvious to anyone who watches Volk, but has also been confirmed by Volk.

One problem for Volk is that he has bad instincts for blocking body and head kicks, this was noted by many clever people before his fight with Yair, and was why the fight was thought to pose such a challenge for Volk. Yet Volk came out with a significantly more solid kicking defence. Volk had managed to drill in good kicking defence during his camp with Yair.

However, on short camp Volk didn't have the time to drill in the same kicking defence. He likely focused these 12 days on drilling some wrestling and getting in shape. This meant that he again operated with his bad instincts for blocking kicks. The upshot here, then, is that in a full camp Volk would likely have drilled in good habits for blocking body and headlocks, and thus he would have preformed better.

Note two things: First, some might say "Volk wouldn't have drilled kicking defence against Islam anyway." But this is mistaken. We know Volk is a high iq fighter, and he would have known that part of Islams game he struggled with in the first fight was the kicking game, and that Islam would likely try to further exploit that. Hence, he would undoubtably have drilled that.

Second, some might say "Volk's habits from the Yair fight should have carried over." But this is false. Because everyone has bad instincts in certain areas of fighting, and it very hard to train away them permanently. Rather what happens is that in a camp you can focus on those areas and secure a good habit for that particular fight. This is even for fighter like Volk who are more cerebral than intuitive.
Brother please to go outside. To type this is full time job. Find women to do sexual with for make family. I am bricklayer my hand hurt type. You have hands of silk. This is bad insult

I don't think so, he lost by having a defensive issues against taller dudes.. might mouse did a break down before the fight and Islam's team was looking for that.

It really doesn’t matter, Volk made his decision and nobody force him to take the fight, now he will live with the fact Islam beat him twice

Brother please to go outside. To type this is full time job. Find women to do sexual with for make family. I am bricklayer my hand hurt type. You have hands of silk. This is bad insult

I am actually very intelligent, so it only took me 1min and 13sec to post that.

I think first fight islam was not 100%, second fight he was 100 and we saw the result.

Islam is too big for Volk. Weight classes exist for a reason.
Volk can probably beat quite a few LWs, but not the top LWs like Islam.

Probably, but I don’t think it would have matched his performance from the 1st fight. Islam had everything stacked against him in Perth.

There is no evidence he would have done any better with a full camp.
Except we have the first fight as evidence of that. Even Volk now admits he wasn't training like he should have been and it was hubris and "needing to fight" that made him take this one on short notice.

They have training camps for a reason. Islam was on point and sharp as hell. Volk was not. Given the size difference, Volk needed things to be perfect just to keep it close.

A lot of us would have preferred seeing Gamrot fight Islam for this very reason. The UFC had him as backup and simply didnt think he was a big enough name to sell.

No shit. Every short notice fighter on the card would have done better with a full camp.

Volk looked a shell of himself, Usman looked bereft of confidence until he grew into the fight. Don't think Warlley would have done MUCH better but he was a chubby welterweight with no prep time also.

Islam's scary good, you can't be behind on any preparation or he's killing you.

Dan Hooker came in unprepared and looked like a regional fighter against Islam.

He probably would have done better with preparation. But Islam definitely still deserves credit, receiving zero damage and highlight reel KOing Volk under any circumstance is still a big accomplishment. And the way he did it was certainly a product of gameplan and execution rather than exploiting his opponent’s under-preparedness. It is what it is, a big accomplishment but not as big of an accomplishment as it could have been.

Reactions: egk
He probably would have done better with preparation. But Islam definitely still deserves credit, receiving zero damage and highlight reel KOing Volk under any circumstance is still a big accomplishment. And the way he did it was certainly a product of gameplan and execution rather than exploiting his opponent’s under-preparedness. It is what it is, a big accomplishment but not as big of an accomplishment as it could have been.
Islam has gotten a bad rap (like Khabib) of being just a wrestler with bad striking. In fact, I think Islam's striking looked great when he took the title from Charles and he did well in the first fight with Volk as well.
I don't know if it was his gameplan or not because the fight didnt last long enough but it looked to me like he was trying to prove a point with his striking against Volk

Back