Full camp Volk would have done better

Nous

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong: I from the started said that if Islam finishes Volk early he should get massive credit. And wrote a thread cementing that position in the ongoing storm of people trying to discredit Islam
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/islam-should-get-massive-credit.4311564/

However, the view that Islam should get massive credit is compatible with the view that Full camp Volk would have done better, and they are, indeed, both also true. Here is the analysis of why full camp Volk would have done better:

Volk is not an "intuitive fighter", but rather a "cerebral fighter". You can see Volk in there thinking when he is fighting. Moreover, for the parts of his game where in the cage there is no time to think, he has drilled in good habits and that is what carries him through rather then his good intuitions. This should not only be obvious to anyone who watches Volk, but has also been confirmed by Volk.

One problem for Volk is that he has bad instincts for blocking body and head kicks, this was noted by many clever people before his fight with Yair, and was why the fight was thought to pose such a challenge for Volk. Yet Volk came out with a significantly more solid kicking defence. Volk had managed to drill in good kicking defence during his camp with Yair.

However, on short camp Volk didn't have the time to drill in the same kicking defence. He likely focused these 12 days on drilling some wrestling and getting in shape. This meant that he again operated with his bad instincts for blocking kicks. The upshot here, then, is that in a full camp Volk would likely have drilled in good habits for blocking body and headlocks, and thus he would have preformed better.

Note two things: First, some might say "Volk wouldn't have drilled kicking defence against Islam anyway." But this is mistaken. We know Volk is a high iq fighter, and he would have known that part of Islams game he struggled with in the first fight was the kicking game, and that Islam would likely try to further exploit that. Hence, he would undoubtably have drilled that.

Second, some might say "Volk's habits from the Yair fight should have carried over." But this is false. Because everyone has bad instincts in certain areas of fighting, and it very hard to train away them permanently. Rather what happens is that in a camp you can focus on those areas and secure a good habit for that particular fight. This is even for fighter like Volk who are more cerebral than intuitive.

Last edited:
Yeah, we saw it already in their first fight.

Also:

a9c.png

well of course he would've done better, we've actually seen that fight.

i don't know why sherdoggers are so surprised a guy that wasn't preparing for a fight lost a fight. do you people think these pros go through the grinder for 9 weeks for fun?

Obviously I mean Islam was in training camp and Volk was getting surgery then Bill was on holidays with his family definitely it the right preparation for a title fight against a guy he already fought and just lost to.

With a training camp we saw how good Volk was but to be fair I think Islam is just too big for Volk and after the weight cut he just blows up he’s a massive lightweight.

He would have worked more hence probably wouldn't have been standing in front of Islam landing fuck all and getting kicked at

Nobody gets off the couch and performs at a world class level. Volk needed to be at his absolute peak to compete with a guy like Islam who seems absolutely untouchable right now

C) white belts should not be starting thread.
Nobody gets off the couch and performs at a world class level. Volk needed to be at his absolute peak to compete with a guy like Islam who seems absolutely untouchable right now

Yeah I think no one is touching Islam right now. Like I still think Volk with a full camp is Islams best competition, but just like their other fights I would bet money on Islam.

However, I think fighters which are less cerebral and more intuitive could perform better getting off the couch, see for example Diax vs Mcregor. Obviously they would still not do well versus a legitimate world class fighter such as Islam. The only person I can imagine coming of the couch and doing well vs a world class fighter is the GOAT Jon Jones.

Yea, most likely. Rematches are tricky tho, Islam and his team could have already figured Volk out regardless of a full training camp.

Also, the short rehydration times likely played a factor in the first fight. They make a big deal out of this stuff in boxing, but MMA media doesn’t even really mention it.

Yeah I think no one is touching Islam right now. Like I still think Volk with a full camp is Islams best competition, but just like their other fights I would bet money on Islam.

However, I think fighters which are less cerebral and more intuitive could perform better getting off the couch, see for example Diax vs Mcregor. Obviously they would still not do well versus a legitimate world class fighter such as Islam. The only person I can imagine coming of the couch and doing well vs a world class fighter is the GOAT Jon Jones.

RE: the bones comment he allegedly did get off the couch to win some fights the biggest example being that war with Gus. Again, thats all alleged but still. Lol

Don't get me wrong: I from the started said that if Islam finishes Volk early he should get massive credit. And wrote a thread cementing that position in the ongoing storm of people trying to discredit Islam
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/islam-should-get-massive-credit.4311564/

However, the view that Islam should get massive credit is compatible with the view that Full camp Volk would have done better, and they are, indeed, both also true. Here is the analysis of why full camp Volk would have done better:

Volk is not an "intuitive fighter", but rather a "cerebral fighter". You can see Volk in there thinking when he is fighting. Moreover, for the parts of his game where in the cage there is no time to think, he has drilled in good habits and that is what carries him through rather then his good intuitions. This should not only be obvious to anyone who watches Volk, but has also been confirmed by Volk.

One problem for Volk is that he has bad instincts for blocking body and head kicks, this was noted by many clever people before his fight with Yair, and was why the fight was thought to pose such a challenge for Volk. Yet Volk came out with a significantly more solid kicking defence. Volk had managed to drill in good kicking defence during his camp with Yair.

However, on short camp Volk didn't have the time to drill in the same kicking defence. He likely focused these 12 days on drilling some wrestling and getting in shape. This meant that he again operated with his bad instincts for blocking kicks. The upshot here, then, is that in a full camp Volk would likely have drilled in good habits for blocking body and headlocks, and thus he would have preformed better.

Note two things: First, some might say "Volk wouldn't have drilled kicking defence against Islam anyway." But this is mistaken. We know Volk is a high iq fighter, and he would have known that part of Islams game he struggled with in the first fight was the kicking game, and that Islam would likely try to further exploit that. Hence, he would undoubtably have drilled that.

Second, some might say "Volk's habits from the Yair fight should have carried over." But this is false. Because everyone has bad instincts in certain areas of fighting, and it very hard to train away them permanently. Rather what happens is that in a camp you can focus on those areas and secure a good habit for that particular fight. This is even for fighter like Volk who are more cerebral than intuitive.
didnt-read-haha.gif

RE: the bones comment he allegedly did get off the couch to win some fights the biggest example being that war with Gus. Again, thats all alleged but still. Lol

I mean Bones is just a different level of fighter.

It was funny, I saw some people in a thread saying that Islam and Volk are next-gen fighters, because they can do everything at a really high level.

And I was like... you mean like Jon Jones has been doing for 10years???

Back