Friends Arena wants Jones/Gus rematch; new UFC crowd record

I hope they'll do it. I don't think they will regret that decision as it's a great investment in a huge fan base in Scandinavia.

It would be just the thing. Alex is getting tons of mainstream coverage after this fight too. I almost shat myself when I saw him appear in Sportspegeln/SVT and not a single question about the risks of braindamage was asked. We have come a long way, indeed. :icon_chee

I think it's a great idea, but I question if Dana would go for it. I think he'd be concerned if they could sell it out, as well as what it would mean for north american PPV buys. Both events held in Sweden in the past were televised, and not PPV.

From the perspective of growing the sport, these are the type of fights they need to hold internationally. They need the country's biggest stars fighting on their own soil.

I'm thinking it can be very close now that they've landed tv-deals in both the UK and Sweden and Garry Cook is killing it on the euro market. The prior events was all Fox whereas now they have at least three tv deals and two internet-tv deals in two countries alone. Plus Fight Pass.

And again they could have it as night event so wouldn't be that much of a hit to ppv sales. If fucking Avicii (spelling?) can sell out the arena two nights in a row then so can a world championship fight.

So they can either go with their existing tv-deals/Fight Pass or put the event on a little later, depending on what suits them better. It's doable.

I think it's a great idea, but I question if Dana would go for it. I think he'd be concerned if they could sell it out, as well as what it would mean for north american PPV buys. Both events held in Sweden in the past were televised, and not PPV.

From the perspective of growing the sport, these are the type of fights they need to hold internationally. They need the country's biggest stars fighting on their own soil.

Yeah I think so too.

would be great for the UFC's international exposure if they do it there and can pull off the sellout

I was in the Skydome for ufc 129 the biggest event so far, but damn that arena looks huge. Will Sweden be able to fill this for a fight?

biggest UFC event...not MMA

Would never happen: Time difference, and Jones wouldn't accept that fight in Sweden.

I'd love to see that happen. I could see it helping big time in expanding the sport in Europe.

Imagining a Jones/Gustafsson 2 poster draped over that arena honestly gives me the chills. It'd be awesome.

I hope Dana can make it happen, it is a new state of the art stadium home of AIK Solna, Im not sure how many people could go in for MMA fight as it might be too far to watch, but in any case, Globe arena was sold out in a few hours, Friends arena sounds like a real good idea....but wait a minute, if Jones will actually beat Glover, he will probably want to rest till next year.
Wasn't he fighting against Alex last? :) , Alex just fought now, Jones will fight in 1.5 months gap, that's if he won't postpone it further.
And if he actually will be able to fight by then, he will probably call somebody else up to fight Alex.
The Master Duck=Jones.

One can dream. You can bet your ass I'd be there, 4 o'clock in the morning or not, don't matter.

I'd drop some cash to fly over and watch that shit live.

Problem will be with the PPV numbers in the US.

UFC probably could sell that out and do a huge gate but PPV numbers might suffer in the US.

Would mean putting that event on at like 4am for the main card.

Imagine if Jones won in Sweden...

instead of PPV, they could have it on FOX in USA, like Cain vs JDS. that way it would be huge in both sides of the atlantic.

970.gif

Yeah I think so too.

They did it repeatedly with GSP, but that wasn't an issue because there's only a few hour time difference from Vegas or LA, etc. When he re-won his title over Serra 5 of his last 10 fights were in Canada counting the Serra fight.

GSP had a lot to do with making MMA in Canada huge, but there was no risk involved to the UFC due to timeshift.

If they put a major event on in Sweden like this, they need to either try and sell out a stadium in the middle of the night so the PPV time in North America doesn't change, or they start the show at the normal 6pm-7pm local time in Sweden, and the event airs at some weird time in North America.

Obviously more risk involved in that situation, but they were able to get some pretty huge gate numbers by having GSP fighting in home soil. Not only were events selling out, but tickets weren't cheap.

PPV revenue > Gate revenue

That's why every big fight happen in US.

I think this could happen... if Glover beats Jones. I would definitely go either way, as im in Sweden every 2nd weekend.

Back