Opinion Former CBS reporter says that journalists have lost their objectivity and become political activists

BearGrounds

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

During an appearance on the Mike Drop podcast with retired Navy SEAL Mike Ritland, Logan admitted that "the media everywhere is mostly liberal, not just the U.S.," adding that it was nearly impossible for viewers to decipher if they were being told the truth at any given time.

"85% of journalists are registered Democrats," Logan said. "How do you know you’re being lied to? How do you know you’re being manipulated? How do you know there’s something not right with the coverage? When they simplify it all [and] there’s no grey. It’s all one way. Well, life isn’t like that. If it doesn’t match real life, it’s probably not. Something’s wrong. For example, all the coverage on Trump all the time is negative. … That’s a distortion of the way things go in real life."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019...TanA6AM1wfdb4zSnmr1SBh_nX-P8j3gpBBmJ0QVCpew9Y

Lara Logan says media standards have led to ‘horses–t’ reporting

https://nypost.com/2019/02/19/lara-logan-says-media-standards-have-led-to-horses-t-reporting/

I think a lot of us are of this opinion nowadays. Props to her for speaking out on it. The MSM news is more about shaping the narrative and creating the story, rather than it is about objectively reporting the events. Trump really started something incredible when he branded CNN "fake news". Many at the time said it was a dangerous statement and those who went along with his assertion were fomenting unjustified distrust in the media, but that has been shown to be anything but true (the Covington debacle being one outstanding example).

Also, obviously wood.

lara_logan_2012_04_28.jpg

It's great when one of the good ones tells the truth.

Fuck MSM! The whole thing is bullshit!

Of course she's right. Of course I would.

I thought I saw titty in that first pic. Nice work on the follow up at the end!

When you have the host with the most watched show on a news channel having the same lawyer as the President and stumping for him at a campaign rally, you know journalists have lost their way. Edward R Murrow is spinning in his fucking grave just thinking about a journalist sharing the same lawyer as the President and said journalist chose to hide it instead of disclosing.

Last edited:
I've noticed that many of the people decrying so called fake news have absolutely no standards in terms of their choice of media consumption (breitbart, infowars, zerohedge) and/or use the term as a master deflector shield against any and all negative reporting about their political tribe.

Generally if someone uses the term 'MSM' as a blanket (pejorative) term they probably aren't critical thinkers. They become perfect targets for collectivist and regressive ideology because what is 'fake news' and what is not, simply comes down to their own tribal feelings so reality is built around their own anxieties and any and all information is used simply to bolster their existing worldview.

I agree there will be problems with how the media narrates goings on, especially where there is a profit motive and an ever present need for more clicks and hits, but let's not forget the largely good and incredibly important job the media does in holding politicians, organisations and industries accountable.

The news media has been destroying itself over the past 20 years, and just like some cancers, we've not detected it until its too late.

An analogy I like to use to describe this country is HVAC.
Back in the day if you needed an AC repairman, they would come over and fix your AC, because that was what they were trained to do.
Now they're trained on how to milk the consumer.

Its the same thing with everything these days. Zero honesty and integrity. Its all about money.

Journalists aren't necessarily taught how to deceive the reader/viewer in school (anybody have any idea how many of our journalists even get degrees in journalism these days?), but very few seem to have any real journalistic integrity these days. Its seems as if their editors have trained them to milk the consumer rather than do the job they are needed to perform.

first time in a while i watched a vid in full screen.

Yellow Journalism has been a thing for a while.

What we see today, however, is entertainment not news.

yeah, but when did they lose it? Looking back they drooled over Obama and never reported anything bad and we're they really as against the fake Bush wars as they seemed? Did they search for the truth there? They didn't really care about any Clinton lies which is what led to Fox News. And of course, at one time no one could really be too critical of the government. The black and white TV days had the biggest population of sheep being told what to think.

Some of the biggest reporting that should've ever been done is all the expermineting/torture the CIA has done to their own citizens, they shipped drugs into the ghettos. This is all on record now but was any of it ever seriosulyt reported on? Most people of all ages till have no clue about some of this truly evil stuff.

It's great when one of the good ones tells the truth.

Fuck MSM! The whole thing is bullshit!

This really shows you the truth of the situation, the majority of the mainstream media might be nominally liberal but their overriding drive of those in controlling positions is to service the economic establishment, to push the interests of the elite behind them.

I'd say the reason why this has become so much more apparent in recent years isn't just the rise of the net but also because politics has fractured. During the 90's and 00's you were in a position were politics covered a very narrow spectrum economically and this made it easier for journalists to appeal somewhat more even handed as really it mattered little who was in power. As this political consensus has started to break down this decade though I think you see most news media for what it really is, propaganda for the establishment.

I would say though for all the negativity aimed at Trump he did at least have some backing in conservative media. Someone like Bernie Sanders on the other had was a virtual pariah to mainstream media the same way Corbyn is in the UK exactly because he's a greater threat to the interests of the masters of most journalists. Indeed I think Trump's greatest crime in the media's eyes wasn't actually any of his policy, it was that he let the mask drop in terms of PR.

Some group like the AP should set standards for news journalism and give some sort of seal of approval for what media can claim to be "news". Maybe that would help separate out the opinions from the facts.

Some group like the AP should set standards for news journalism and give some sort of seal of approval for what media can claim to be "news". Maybe that would help separate out the opinions from the facts.

Ironic, because this is the same viewpoint that triggers people when it comes to Twitter curating their content.

<{Heymansnicker}>

Wait wasn't she the reporter who fabricated some Benghazi story on 60 Minutes. Let's all look to her on Journalism ethics.

Wait wasn't she the reporter who fabricated some Benghazi story on 60 Minutes. Let's all look to her on Journalism ethics.

Hadn't heard of that. Read this article since you mentioned it. Seems more to be an issue with the source than her being intentionally dishonest, or "fabricating" anything.

'We were wrong': CBS's Lara Logan apologizes for Benghazi report
The CBS story first came into question because of an incident report filed by the contractor's employer, the Blue Mountain security company. The incident report, obtained by CNN and first reported in The Washington Post, said the contractor never reached the Benghazi compound.
The incident report also revealed the real name of "Morgan Jones" to be Davies.
CBS initially stood by the story after the incident report came to light. Davies said he never saw the incident report. But he said it matched a false account he gave his Blue Mountain supervisor to cover up that he had disobeyed the supervisor's order not to go to the compound.
https://www.cnn.com/2013/11/08/politics/cbs-benghazi/index.html

That aside, do you disagree with what she's saying in the OP?

Well that ain't exactly wrong.

Media companies have recognized the fact that most people are intellectually lazy - they don't want their views challenged because they'd have no idea what to do if they were. So they identify their base and just tell them exactly what they want to hear, and keep that ad revenue coming in. And it's not even a partisan thing - conservative media obviously does the same thing.

Sad!

That's not the problem, though. If people were really concerned about perceived bias in news, there would be a greater market for non-biased objective journalism. The problem is that people WANT news that conforms to their biases.

It's more than just bias. Most "journalists" are just lefty political activists.

Back