Opinion Former CBS reporter says that journalists have lost their objectivity and become political activists

I've noticed that many of the people decrying so called fake news have absolutely no standards in terms of their choice of media consumption (breitbart, infowars, zerohedge) and/or use the term as a master deflector shield against any and all negative reporting about their political tribe.

Generally if someone uses the term 'MSM' as a blanket (pejorative) term they probably aren't critical thinkers. They become perfect targets for collectivist and regressive ideology because what is 'fake news' and what is not, simply comes down to their own tribal feelings so reality is built around their own anxieties and any and all information is used simply to bolster their existing worldview.

I agree there will be problems with how the media narrates goings on, especially where there is a profit motive and an ever present need for more clicks and hits, but let's not forget the largely good and incredibly important job the media does in holding politicians, organizations and industries accountable.
It's only fake news when the MSM does it. When rightwing media does it, it is not fake news. When Trump does it, it isn't fake news. When reporters who were/are part of MSM criticize the MSM for bias, their opinions count, but when MSM reporters criticize the rightwing propaganda machine, their opinions don't count.

That's not the problem, though. If people were really concerned about perceived bias in news, there would be a greater market for non-biased objective journalism. The problem is that people WANT news that conforms to their biases.

I think part of the problem is people don't see or can't tell the difference between news and opinion. Opening eyes to that distinction could prove fruitful.

I'd also eliminate anything that's not news or educational from public airwaves. The outlets for entertainment are abundant.

Is every institution that's supposed to be here to help the people being used against the people?

It's more than just bias. Most "journalists" are just lefty political activists.
If that were true, the MSM would be making a concerted effort to criticize US foreign policy, allies and intervention. Not to mention there would be a lot of pointed criticism of Israeli actions. The MSM has always given Israel a pass, and generally gone soft on US allies like Saudi, Pakistan, UAE, Egypt, Jordan, Indonesia, Qatar, Kuwait , various rightwing regimes in Latin America.

I think part of the problem is people don't see or can't tell the difference between news and opinion. Opening eyes to that distinction could prove fruitful.

I'd also eliminate anything that's not news or educational from public airwaves. The outlets for entertainment are abundant.
There is a tendency for people to dismiss how effective bad actors can be at influencing the intellectually lazy, or how difficult the backfire effect makes it to change people's minds.

Logan has always been on my list of the few people in the business with ANY journalism remaining in them...and she was one of the few to go with troops in Iraq and Afghanistan long after the war lost its appeal to mainstream media and fought to get the actual news out there.

She lost a position a decade ago saying she would rather blow her brains out than watch American media.

From 2008. She just plain dismantles the media the entire interview. Comment and question starts at about 2:40 into it.
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/i2txqn/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-lara-logan

I've noticed that many of the people decrying so called fake news have absolutely no standards in terms of their choice of media consumption (breitbart, infowars, zerohedge) and/or use the term as a master deflector shield against any and all negative reporting about their political tribe.

Generally if someone uses the term 'MSM' as a blanket (pejorative) term they probably aren't critical thinkers. They become perfect targets for collectivist and regressive ideology because what is 'fake news' and what is not, simply comes down to their own tribal feelings so reality is built around their own anxieties and any and all information is used simply to bolster their existing worldview.

I agree there will be problems with how the media narrates goings on, especially where there is a profit motive and an ever present need for more clicks and hits, but let's not forget the largely good and incredibly important job the media does in holding politicians, organisations and industries accountable.

Check out the video I posted above because you are the one that is actually guilty of only wanting to hear what fits your tribe and are lacking in critical thinking. Anyone capable of critical thinking is not going to go to any of the big boys for news, because they will have broken down enough of the false reports, fake news, propaganda, pandering and all the other things that would cause someone to turn that shit off and stop using them as a go to.

There is a tendency for people to dismiss how effective bad actors can be at influencing the intellectually lazy, or how difficult the backfire effect makes it to change people's minds.

People are also susceptible to appeals to authority. "News" needs to regain some prestige. Regardless of whether or not these things cure whatever problem exists (they won't), they're steps in the right direction.

she's absolutely right.

I except the Left to viciously attack her, because they have little to no scruples.

Wait wasn't she the reporter who fabricated some Benghazi story on 60 Minutes. Let's all look to her on Journalism ethics.
As if you didn't just google her name and skim for negatives.

You would be wrong there my friend, but not like you would believe me anyway.
You just have her name committed to memory from a botched news story from 6 years ago?

Check out the video I posted above because you are the one that is actually guilty of only wanting to hear what fits your tribe and are lacking in critical thinking. Anyone capable of critical thinking is not going to go to any of the big boys for news, because they will have broken down enough of the false reports, fake news, propaganda, pandering and all the other things that would cause someone to turn that shit off and stop using them as a go to.

I'm fairly comfortable using multiple outlets, healthy scepticism and primary sources as a reasonable guide for my news consumption. I won't dismiss Fox because it's Fox, if you get what I mean.

I find it a constant frustration that on all manner of topics, strength of opinion and knowledge of field are always negatively correlated. The biggest fake news decriers always have uninformed opinions about the media and current events, as demonstrated by their slavish devotion to obvious propaganda.

The biggest fake news decriers always have uninformed opinions about the media and current events, as demonstrated by their slavish devotion to obvious propaganda.

A major confirmation bias statement if I ever heard one, almost always coming from those that only listen to the mainstream media which propagates it.

You can normally tell who follows mainstream by their use of absolutes when speaking about people because that is the way they are taught to think by that very same media.

If that were true, the MSM would be making a concerted effort to criticize US foreign policy, allies and intervention. Not to mention there would be a lot of pointed criticism of Israeli actions. The MSM has always given Israel a pass, and generally gone soft on US allies like Saudi, Pakistan, UAE, Egypt, Jordan, Indonesia, Qatar, Kuwait , various rightwing regimes in Latin America.

You just described Corporate Leftists to a capital T. Just take Hollywood Jewish Community for instance. Pro leftist but Neoliberal

That's not the problem, though. If people were really concerned about perceived bias in news, there would be a greater market for non-biased objective journalism. The problem is that people WANT news that conforms to their biases.

This all day...

There’s no more politically neutral news because as soon as the viewers watched a report they didn’t like, they would just head back to CNN/Fox to make feel better about themselves.

Viewer demand has created what we’ve got today

She was a good example of why you need men with guns to protect you instead of liberal mic and camera crew guys to stand by and watch you get raped by rabid muslims. She does not have fond memories of the "Arab Spring"...

I saw that last night. She's very sharp and tells it like it is, but I found myself "distracted" throughout.

The bottom long version you can start at 2:16...

You just described Corporate Leftists to a capital T. Just take Hollywood Jewish Community for instance. Pro leftist but Neoliberal
For the most part the well known Jewish Americans and Organizations are only leftist when it comes to advancing progressive ideals in White gentile society, they are very ethnonationalist / rightwing when it comes to Israel.

Back