Foie gras ban overturned

In certain parts of Asia they hang dogs up from hooks whilst they are still alive and proceed to beat the fuck out of them with sticks or boil them alive because they believe it makes the meat tastier. Presumably you have no problem with this either since from a moral standpoint there is really no difference.
In certain parts of North America and Europe, they set leg traps and conibear for fur bearing animals and the animal is legally injured in the trap for 1-5 days before a hunter will come out to club the animal to unconcsiousness and skin it because shooting the animal would damage the pelt. Presumably it was easier for you to vilify Asians over North Americans or Europeans to make such an example.

Doesn't make much sense to compare delicacies to staples. The treatment of farmed animals is pretty shitty, but necessary to an extent. We don't need to go out of our way to be cruel. The best way to do this from an ethical standpoint is to feed them out just before winter, when they are naturally getting fat for migration.

In certain parts of North America and Europe, they set leg traps and conibear for fur bearing animals and the animal is legally injured in the trap for 1-5 days before a hunter will come out to club the animal to unconcsiousness and skin it because shooting the animal would damage the pelt. Presumably it was easier for you to vilify Asians over North Americans or Europeans to make such an example.

Uh...I think based on the guy's posts you'll find that he doesn't particularly enjoy what you have described either. He just listed dogs because he figured he'd get an emotional response because a lot of people have pet dogs.

Human lives are the only ones that matter to me.

I really don't care about whale and/or dolphin hunting as long as it isn't driving those animals to extinction.

This is how I feel, I really don`t see the problem with Whale/Dolphin meat.

Uh...I think based on the guy's posts you'll find that he doesn't particularly enjoy what you have described either. He just listed dogs because he figured he'd get an emotional response because a lot of people have pet dogs.

In that case we should clarify that they were not placed on "hooks" but hoisted up on a rope from a tree. You'll only find this done in very poor countries or in small scale operations where they are culling the animal for themselves and have no access to proper equipment. Practices like this have been completely banned from entering commercial food sale in developed Asian countries for fear of contamination, disease and inhumane handling for both the animal and person culling it.

In certain parts of Asia they hang dogs up from hooks whilst they are still alive and proceed to beat the fuck out of them with sticks or boil them alive because they believe it makes the meat tastier. Presumably you have no problem with this either since from a moral standpoint there is really no difference.

I have never heard of this, you got a source on this? In general, you never want to toss a live animal in boiling water. That would be dangerous for the human involved.

and bruised meat is generally bad meat...

seriously, how many people would go out of their way to abuse an animal in order to turn it into food? I've slaughtered chicken before, and it's not an easy sight for most people to see, and I definitely dont take my time to do it. The least amount of bloodshed the better.

I imagine with a dog, you'de have an easier time killing it if you whacked it on the head real hard to knock it out. If that's the "beating" you are referring to, that would be the humane thing to do.

Poultry is NOT even mentioned in the Humane Slaughter Act.

I'm talking about the use of electric current.

The fact is that animal rights activists cling to something like foie gras because it's so easy to make look awful. It's an expensive food that requires gavage. People assume that gavage is doing a lot worse to a duck than it truly does. Again, I'll reference the article I posted earlier: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/the-physiology-of-foie-why-foie-gras-is-not-u.html

What about the act of feeding? Surely the duck feels discomfort when a tube is slid down its throat?

Tony Bourdain likes to remind us that we see worse things committed against human beings on late night pay-per-view. And he's right: humans have a gag reflex. But ducks? Not so. I tried hard to find a good video online of a duck eating fish, but they are all too blurry or too annoying to watch. The closest I came is this video of a cormorant, another migratory waterfowl.

Watch closely as it swallows a spiky fish several times wider than its neck.

Incredible, right? And that, folks, is the reason why ducks don't struggle when a feeding tube deposits food in its throat. Its body is built for exactly the same type of stress in the wild.

Humans chew their food in their mouth until it breaks down into pieces small enough to swallow. Ducks, on the other hand, have no teeth in their mouth, and they don't chew. Instead, they swallow their food whole, storing it in the bottom of the eso****us in a stretchy pouch known as the crop. Eventually, the solid food works its way into a stomach and a sac-like organ called the gizzard. Throughout the day, a duck will swallow small rocks and pebbles, which get stored in the gizzard. Once food enters it, the muscular organ uses the pebbles as make-shift teeth, grinding up the food so the duck can digest it.

Because of this, their eso****i are custom-built for stretching. I had Bob send a few of them to the office where I tied off one end and filled it up, water-balloon style in order to see exactly how much a duck can hold in its crop. The four we tested stretched out to a little over a quart of liquid apiece, or around 950 grams

Which is not a requirement or law. I'm saying this is a voluntary practice by the facility because it's more efficient to kill an animal that is not resisting at maximum capacity. The truth is that there is no law "protecting" or dictating the transport or slaughter of poultry in the US as of yet.

The fact is that animal rights activists cling to something like foie gras because it's so easy to make look awful. It's an expensive food that requires gavage. People assume that gavage is doing a lot worse to a duck than it truly does. Again, I'll reference the article I posted earlier: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/the-physiology-of-foie-why-foie-gras-is-not-u.html

I agree, these animals are a lot different than humans. A tube down the neck of a bird is a lot different than human. Birds swallow ROCKS ffs, so it grinds up food in their bellies. Younger birds typically overfeed themselves due to lack of restraint. The first time I seen chicks overfeed themselves, I was in shock and though surely they would die with all that feed stuck in their throat. I dont even know if chickens are built the same way as ducks, but they were fine with stuck food!

chicken slaughter is acceptable, but how many people actually see it happen? how many people can say they've done it? it's pretty nasty, but even the PETA junkies have to accept it, because no one can give up their chicken meals!

Which is not a requirement or law. I'm saying this is a voluntary practice by the facility because it's more efficient to kill an animal that is not resisting at maximum capacity. The truth is that there is no law "protecting" or dictating the transport or slaughter of poultry in the US as of yet.

You are missing my entire point of saying that. Similar to people that probably think the process of gavage is suffocating the duck, the poster seemed to think using electrocution was totally inhumane. As mentioned, it's a method that's part of the humane slaughter act. It's supposed to be quick and relatively painless.

Doesn't make much sense to compare delicacies to staples. The treatment of farmed animals is pretty shitty, but necessary to an extent. We don't need to go out of our way to be cruel. The best way to do this from an ethical standpoint is to feed them out just before winter, when they are naturally getting fat for migration.

No, it's not.

highlights25_meatpercap.PNG

Massive factory farms were created to keep up with the overall and per capita consumption of meat. The massive increase in consumption of meat is not only not necessary for human nutrition, it is extremely detrimental to human health and the planet. So again, it's not necessary at all. The planet, and human beings, would be much healthier if we consumed less meat, and healthier meat (small farm raised).

https://woods.stanford.edu/environm...ed-global-meat-consumption-global-environment

Meat production is projected to double by 2020 due to increased per capita global consumption of meat and population growth. Most of this increase in production will come through industrialized animal production systems. These trends will have major consequences on the global environment.

The meat industry also has a significant impact on global warming. Livestock production accounts for 18 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions, including 9 percent of carbon dioxide and 37 percent of methane gas emissions worldwide.

***Disclaimer***
I eat meat.

No, it's not.

Massive factory farms were created to keep up with the overall and per capita consumption of meat. The massive increase in consumption of meat is not only not necessary for human nutrition, it is extremely detrimental to human health and the planet. So again, it's not necessary at all. The planet, and human beings, would be much healthier if we consumed less meat, and healthier meat (small farm raised).

https://woods.stanford.edu/environm...ed-global-meat-consumption-global-environment

***Disclaimer***
I eat meat.

in general, people eat too much. You really dont disagree with his post btw. You cant raise a farm and be totally humane. Only true way of being humane is poisioning an animal in the wild, however it would not be edible. All other forms of livestock would be inhumane on some level.

You are missing my entire point of saying that. Similar to people that probably think the process of gavage is suffocating the duck, the poster seemed to think using electrocution was totally inhumane. As mentioned, it's a method that's part of the humane slaughter act. It's supposed to be quick and relatively painless.
I understand that guy is confused but it doesn't explain why you keep quoting a law that does not exist. It is not part of the Humane Slaughter Act. There is no mention of poultry on that Act.

I understand that guy is confused but it doesn't explain why you keep quoting a law that does not exist. It is not part of the Humane Slaughter Act. There is no mention of poultry on that Act.

I am not talking about poultry - I am talking about the use of electric currents on animals.

in general, people eat too much. You really dont disagree with his post btw. You cant raise a farm and be totally humane. Only true way of being humane is poisioning an animal in the wild, however it would not be edible. All other forms of livestock would be inhumane on some level.

Hopefully you, and others reading my posts are taking away that I don't consider killing an animal 'inhumane'. It's part of the cycle of life. Animals kill and eat each other. Humans are animals, it's no different. But the condition you raise the animals in and the way you treat them is black and white when comparing small farms and factory farms.

Edit - Not all forms of animal life are equal in my eyes. Things of higher intelligence, complexity, and rarity such as whales and dolphins (which have speech, and have actual accents depending on what part of the world the sea critter lives in), should not be killed and eaten period.

Edit 2 - I do disagree with his post, in that he said factory farms (and the inhumane treatment of animals which follows) are necessary. They're not, and I just showed that.

I've seen some one keep a goat as a pet for a week or so and then hang it up alive, slit it's throat, let it bleed out and then proceed to skin and butcher it.

That goat gave us some good meals

Massive factory farms were created to keep up with the overall and per capita consumption of meat.

That is not correct. Factory farms were created to farm animals year round in cold and wet environments. The increase in production per square ft was to offset operating costs as factory farms are very expensive to build and maintain initially.

Back