Foie gras ban overturned

Someone asked what dog meat tastes like, and well it tastes like dog. It has a delicious flavor all of its own. Dog liver is vile though.

This thread isn't about vegetarianism or animal rights or dog meat however, it's about foie gras and how delicious force-fed duck liver is. It's like a little gift from the gods.

There is a reason fois gras is worshiped in gastronomy.

There is a reason world renowned chefs now down to it. Because it is food good enough for the gods.

A lot of organic small batch farmers would never synthetics because it destroys the soil and everything that grows from it.

I would imagine a lot of small farmers make their own fertilizer or purchase it from another organic grower who specializes in non poison fertilizers.
You can buy 100% organic fertilizer commercially. Most do. Making it yourself is not necessarily "better". And the voume you would need for just 1 acre...it would be work intensive.

Someone asked what dog meat tastes like, and well it tastes like dog. It has a delicious flavor all of its own. Dog liver is vile though.

This thread isn't about vegetarianism or animal rights or dog meat however, it's about foie gras and how delicious force-fed duck liver is. It's like a little gift from the gods.

I heard it stinks and tastes like goat.

The important question though is, did it increase your virility in hot lethargic summer weather ?

You can buy 100% organic fertilizer commercially. Most do. Making it yourself is not necessarily "better". And the voume you would need for just 1 acre...it would be work intensive.

Well say store bought fertilizer is made with products that were grown with more toxic fertizers to begin with.

A lot of it is decaying stuff and even decaying stuff can originate from crap or generous beginnings.

I would say most small farmers would only use the best of everything. Especially soil and animal feed.

Has anyone ever watched THE MIND OF A CHEF.

season 2 has some absolutely fantastic episodes and includes a lot of info on local farmers and how hard they work and how much love they show in what they grow. It's actually amazing to see how much love some people show their animals and plants.

Well say store bought fertilizer is made with products that were grown with more toxic fertizers to begin with.

A lot of it is decaying stuff and even decaying stuff can originate from crap or generous beginnings.

I would say most small farmers would only use the best of everything. Especially soil and animal feed.

There is nothing wrong with commercial fertilizer. You need to stop assuming everything purchased is evil. It's rendered and a lot safer than breaking it down yourself.

You can buy the best 100% organic fertilizer. All this artisian nonsense....I am willing to bet watermelon man buys his fertilizer and sells you a story about how he grows everything with fertilizer he composted himself. No offense.

There is nothing wrong with commercial fertilizer. You need to stop assuming everything purchased is evil. It's rendered and a lot safer than breaking it down yourself.

Yeah not everything in the stores is bad. Just most stuff is. Lol.

It's like anything else in life. How can red peppers they sell at Walmart be as good as the ones you pick from a farm.

They're not. And u can actualy taste the difference.

What I'm saying is some people take such pride in their work that nothing they use has come from a bad source. Fertilizer included.

That the point I was making. Hell I have to buy regular stuff alt as well. That's life.

PDF of INRA study;

Is there avoidance of the force feeding procedure in ducks and geese?
Author: Jean-Michel Faure, Daniel Gumene, G

Mark Caro author of Foie Gras Wars

Q. What are the basics of the argument over foie gras, and why did it capture your interest?

A. One side says we should be more mindful of how we treat animals: When a liver balloons to 10 times its normal size, you have to question it. The other side says, look, we produce 9 billion chickens and very few foie gras ducks. The foie gras duck is free range for weeks, then undergoes a period of force feeding. It lives twice as long as a duck you'd find in Chinatown. The foie gras people felt they were being picked on because their product is French and expensive. What got me was that as I was listening to the sides of the argument, both in their own way made perfect sense. As someone who tries to navigate some sort of ethical path while continuing to eat meat, it challenged the way I thought.

Q. You spoke with animal expert Temple Grandin, who said the clearest way to measure cruelty was to see whether the ducks actively avoided their feeders. After going to farms and exploring the research, do you think foie gras is cruel to animals?

A. It's tricky. Some studies say the birds don't register stress. Others say the science just isn't there yet, and with an organ 10 times its usual size you're going to be uncomfortable. Avoidance is hard to measure. Ducks do not like being grabbed. When the feeder goes into the pen, the ducks do move away. It's not the fabled thing some people say, where they run to the tube and open their beaks. They're not trying desperately to get away either. It's hard to interpret. People love ducks, and when you put a tube down their throats, people anthropomorphize. They imagine themselves gagging even though ducks don't have gag reflexes. You're told not to project human interpretations onto waterfowl, but you process as a human. You can't flip the switch.

[YT]8xC9xG1uX34[/YT]
[YT]cHdf3XV2QS8[/YT]

Feed contaminated with common aflatoxin fungi and liver disease in poultry, specifically detrimental to ducks and turkeys.

Mycotoxins are toxic secondary metabolites produced by fungi growing on crops in the field, during handling and in storage. They enter the animal production system via feed (concentrate, silage or forage) or via bedding. Mycotoxins negatively affect animal performance, animal health and product quality. Thus mycotoxin control is crucial for production economics, animal welfare, product quality and food safety reasons.

Aflatoxin-producing members of Aspergillus are common and widespread in nature. They can colonize and contaminate grain before harvest or during storage. Host crops, which include maize, sorghum and groundnuts, are particularly susceptible to infection by Aspergillus following prolonged exposure to a high-humidity environment, or damage from stressful conditions such as drought, a condition that lowers the barrier to entry.

The aflatoxins are toxic and carcinogenic metabolites of Aspergillus flavus, A parasiticus, and others. Aflatoxicosis in poultry primarily affects the liver but can involve immunologic, digestive, and hematopoietic functions. Aflatoxin can adversely affect weight gain, feed intake, feed conversion efficiency, pigmentation, processing yield, egg production, male and female fertility, and hatchability. Some effects are directly attributable to toxins, whereas others are indirect, such as reduced feed intake. Susceptibility to aflatoxins varies, but in general, ducklings, turkeys, and pheasants are susceptible, while chickens, Japanese quail, and guinea fowl are relatively resistant.

Clinical signs vary from general unthriftiness to high morbidity and mortality. At necropsy the lesions are found mainly in the liver, which can be reddened due to necrosis and congestion or yellow due to lipid accumulation. Hemorrhages may occur in liver and other tissues. In chronic aflatoxicosis, the liver becomes yellow to gray and atrophied. The aflatoxins are carcinogenic, but tumor formation is rare with the natural disease, probably because the birds do not live long enough for this to occur.

Aflatoxins in Poultry

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/AS/AS-615-W.pdf

http://www.knowmycotoxins.com/npoultry.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6414136

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/48/6/1559.full.pdf

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/mycotoxicoses/overview_of_mycotoxicoses_in_poultry.html

Are these photos disturbing too?

gde-aigrette-feed-young-tg.jpg

bird611_std.jpg

No.

Are you trying to draw some kind of parallel?

Didn't have the chance to read all of this thread yet. Hope to get to it soon. Just wanted to say that veal is a magical meat and froie gras is like ice cream in meat form. And yes animal cruelty sucks, but thankfully I don't think about it while enjoying my food.

Back