Floyd Mayweather vs Tenshin Nasukawa - Dec 31st

I feel like Rizin may have just ran with some bullshit and Floyd likes attention so he didn't just say hey wait I'm not fighting that little boy

Mayweather's explanation for all this on instagram kind of reminds me of Ali-Inoki, where Ali's camp supposedly didn't know the rules of the bout until almost immediately before it was scheduled to happen.

From wiki:

"According to Inoki, Ali and his entourage had signed on expecting the fight to be an exhibition rather than a real contest. It was only when they went to see Inoki train six days before the fight, and saw him use a series of brutal drop-kicks and violent grapples on sparring partners, that they sensed it would be a legitimate fight. Inoki alleges he was asked by Ali, "OK, so when do we do the rehearsal?", with Inoki replying: "No, no. This isn't an exhibition. It's a real fight!""

guess we'll never know the outcome of a fight nobody wanted

I wonder who's really behind all this? Floyd said something about Brent Johnson which doesn't sound like a Japanese name. My mentor told me one time that word got out that he was Bruce Lee's best friend on one of his visits to japan, the next thing you know they were trying to get him to fight some female japanese champion. He told me "the Japanese are funny people, they love to instigate things like that". He was Japanese but he was pretty Americanized. Of course he said "what the hell I want to fight a woman for?" and turned it down. As far as the shenanigans of the fight world over there, it's far from clean as far as I know. One of my old trainers told me that the japanese were trying to match Gerard Gordeau with some of our fighters, Gerard had just blinded yuki Nakai in one eye. My trainer says that he refused to put our fighters in with him and the japanese said "the other gyms are going in with him" my trainer said that the only way he'd put our guys in was with the instructions to pummel Gerard no matter if the ref tries to stop the fight. He also claimed that he was responsible for getting Gerard banned from fighting.

as far as ali/inoki, what I heard was that it was supposed to be a work but ali felt bad about conning the public and wanted to make it real so they adjusted the rules so it was real, it was a farce any way you cut it. Inoki layed on his back most of the time and kicked ali's legs, the one time there was a take down (or was it twice?) alis's corner was right there, and rightly so, you don't put a million dollar fighter in with that kind of bullshit, it was stupid and a mistake.

Lol this was so stupid. I have no idea what to think. Actually the Japanese are shady as fuck in the entertainment industry.

“I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions.”

Translated: Please hire me I’m broke. (?)

Mayweather's explanation for all this on instagram kind of reminds me of Ali-Inoki, where Ali's camp supposedly didn't know the rules of the bout until almost immediately before it was scheduled to happen.

From wiki:

"According to Inoki, Ali and his entourage had signed on expecting the fight to be an exhibition rather than a real contest. It was only when they went to see Inoki train six days before the fight, and saw him use a series of brutal drop-kicks and violent grapples on sparring partners, that they sensed it would be a legitimate fight. Inoki alleges he was asked by Ali, "OK, so when do we do the rehearsal?", with Inoki replying: "No, no. This isn't an exhibition. It's a real fight!""
Exactly what I said. Go read a few posts back. Not surprised

I googled a bit and you're right. I don't think that makes him a coward though.
Coward is too strong a word I think BUT he hasn't really challenged himself in any bouts that he's had. To be great I think you have to take fights where you aren't guaranteed to be the winner.

Coward is too strong a word I think BUT he hasn't really challenged himself in any bouts that he's had. To be great I think you have to take fights where you aren't guaranteed to be the winner.

You're saying noone floyd has fought has been a remote challenge to him?

“I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions.”
that was such a pathetic brag.

what the fuck is wrong with this man?

You're saying noone floyd has fought has been a remote challenge to him?
Corrales was the biggest threat to him that I can think of. Certainly in the part of his career after that, no, I can't think of anyone who's been a challenge to him.

Yeah - it was like he was trying to humblebrag but totally fucked it up
there is absolutely no doubt about who wrote that shit - but either even they have some weird inferiority complex, or he tells his PR person to put idiotic shit like that into his posts.

he's going out of his way to appear intelligent and classy, and the effect is the exact opposite. floyd is a genius in the ring and a fucking halfwit outside of it.

he didn't write any of that, some publicist did, that's their job, to lie, to exaggerate. I remember when Camacho got shot, his publicist said he'd be fine and that he was still gonna fight.

To me it read like a little advertisement rather than a brag, like whoever wrote it is putting it out there that Mayweather's available for bookings

Yeah - it was like he was trying to humblebrag but totally fucked it up
it's funny but no fighter admits to being broke, sugar ray robinson never admitted it during his comebacks, ali never admitted it in the 80's. it's understandable, who wants to give personal info like that? but they are public figures so it will be known and floyd will spend whatever he gets, that's what happens when you are trying to show how much money you have. another thing that happens is, people come out the woodwork to be your friend.

To me it read like a little advertisement rather than a brag, like whoever wrote it is putting it out there that Mayweather's available for bookings
i read it plainly as a statement that he doesn't need the money, which probably isn't true, or if it is, he can see that he's leaking bad enough that he will need it. fighters never learn. I remember it being put to Joe Louis "what would you have done if you made what they make today" Joe said he'd spend it all anyway. people don't talk about it much but Ali was broke in the 80's, the entourage, the exes, his own generosity. Had he not been ali, he would have died broke and probably a lot sooner than he did.

Back