Crime Fired for calling police on shoplifters

I think Lululemon should get the Bud Light treatment from their customers, maybe then they will reconsider their policy.
Folks will just take it a step further and have a shoplifting spree until they remind this dumb position

If I knew a company would do that i would ask for it in a company email to protect my ass and then the first thing I would do is inform all my friends where they can shoplift with no repercussions and with a list of things i want.
Yep.

I will say working Loss Prevention for a major retail Corp was just as much "keep.us from even the possibility of being sued in court" as "keep the losses under our Shrink budget"

Yeah, same over here. In the old days, we used to have fun chasing after shoplifters. I was choking fools out like a Marine on a New York subway;) But head office brought in new rules. No physical confrontation of any kind is allowed. All we're can do now is ask the person to return any stolen goods, record everything on CCTV and then call the police.

Security guards are assigned on the basis of shrink. So if your store doesn't lose more than a certain amount, you don't get any security.

It's corporate rule in America instead of law. Mega Corp doesn't want to get sued by criminals or employees over someone hurt in a robbery so they say just let it happen . Also don't want any headlines about racism

It then creates a culture where criminals know this and feel emboldened to do criminal shit.

Then once in a while some human will break the programming and do the right thing and fights back or calls the cops and Mega Corp steps in and fires them for breaking store policy

Rinse and repeat
It’s been that way for a while. As a youngin working at Sports Authority I was told not to chase or obstruct anyone we catch in the act of theft. It’s not worth the risk. Just report it and let the authorities deal with it. My manager once told me “we don’t make policy to deal with the 2% that steal”. These corps know what their losses are, and it’s built in to pricing and loss management.

that’s the free market baby corporations are people too

i wonder if theres some kind of insurance-related scam in play here? the store sure doesnt seem to take kindly to their employees calling 911 to report a theft.

something is fucky here. they need to look further into it.

i wonder if theres some kind of insurance-related scam in play here? the store sure doesnt seem to take kindly to their employees calling 911 to report a theft.

something is fucky here. they need to look further into it.
I don't think they got fired for calling 911. They engaged the shoplifters and followed them outside. I don't think they will use insurance to cover that type of small theft. It's just built into the cost. The theft is covered by the high markup of the products. The product is probably 5-10 dollars to make and they sell it for over 100 dollars. Lululemon has suppliers all over the world. They don't own the factories but the factories owners employ "slave" labor.

I know of no company that has insurance to cover theft. The cost of that is taken as a loss. It's made up by other cuts and increases.

I’ve written and read a few dozen security SoPs for retailers. I’m 100% certain those ladies are in the right, if their story is true. But I also have a hard time believing that HR approved this termination, unless the HR manager is an idiot or the ladies didn’t tell the full story.

How much time before no brick and mortar stores are left in US cities? Good Christ, liberals are so insanely stupid.

It's corporate rule in America instead of law. Mega Corp doesn't want to get sued by criminals or employees over someone hurt in a robbery so they say just let it happen . Also don't want any headlines about racism

It then creates a culture where criminals know this and feel emboldened to do criminal shit.

Then once in a while some human will break the programming and do the right thing and fights back or calls the cops and Mega Corp steps in and fires them for breaking store policy

Rinse and repeat

Basically, this.

No store employee should ever take theft of store property seriously if it's not their company and if the company forbid it.

I get that people take their jobs seriously, and no doubt for anyone in management there will be some come back on theft and margins, but yeah - company's nowadays say the stock is covered by insurance, so don't interfere. Just record the stock losses.

Phoning the police shouldn't be a massive issue unless, for some reason, there is pressure coming from somewhere to minimise crime logs - which is perfectly possible, but without knowing the details, the employees did the right thing by getting the villains busted.

I actually think it should be illegal for a company to instruct anyone to avoid alerting the police, as it's just kicking the can down the road, and absolutely immoral.

But yeah, don't challenge these assholes - they're desperate, and could be carrying absolutely anything. There is no stock anywhere in the world more valuable than someone's health and wellbeing.

It is a rationale policy not to physically intervene. To fire employees for literally calling the police on shoplifting is hilarious and indefensible. If I worked at LuLemon I’d just call my friends to come steal. After all I can’t stop them nor should I report it.
if these women have a legit case, take it to a lawyer and sue lululemon

If I knew a company would do that i would ask for it in a company email to protect my ass and then the first thing I would do is inform all my friends where they can shoplift with no repercussions and with a list of things i want.
that's criminal conspiracy

Back