Fedor: Ronda misses a lot of punches, which leads to painful reception

Why especially for women? Most of them have no KO power, so it matters even less than for men.

I think he dislikes the idea of women getting punched in the face. The irony being, he's claiming displeasure at Ronda missing punches.

It's not just WMMA, you see very little KO power in male bantamweight or fly weight. It's simply a function of mass.

The ridiculous thing is with her single shot KO of Bethe, Rousey now probably has more legit 1-shot KO's than half of the male bantamweights and most of the male fly weight division.

I'm not sure whether I should be more impressed by Rousey, or laughing harder at the male Bantams and Flys....

Not the same. The lighter male fighters still have enough power so that they need to have good technique in order to not get KOed. They can't afford to get into the same sloppy brawls the women do, otherwise they would be KOed right away.

And I love Fedor, so I won't get too into the fact that he was never exactly Mr. Floyd eMaylienko when it came to strike evasion himself.

Seems this might have been lost in translation. This is what I was thinking when I read it though.

It's not just WMMA, you see very little KO power in male bantamweight or fly weight. It's simply a function of mass.

The ridiculous thing is with her single shot KO of Bethe, Rousey now probably has more legit 1-shot KO's than half of the male bantamweights and most of the male fly weight division.

I'm not sure whether I should be more impressed by Rousey, or laughing harder at the male Bantams and Flys....

Bethe was terrible tho...

Hasn't she only been training MMA for the last four or five years? She's an accountant lol And she had trouble with 35 year old Baszler who was cut...

Bethe was terrible tho...

Hasn't she only been training MMA for the last four or five years? She's an accountant lol And she had trouble with 35 year old Baszler who was cut...

Rousey hasn't been training striking much longer so it makes sense that technically they wouldn't be that far apart.

Still, Rousey clearly hits like a truck for her division.

As for the whole "they have to play defense when they're striking" argument, it feels awful fishy for the male Bantams/Flys. Maybe it's me, but I don't see lots of "elite" striking defense in Male Bantam/Flys outside of the upper rank fighters either.

Rousey hasn't been training striking much longer so it makes sense that technically they wouldn't be that far apart.

Still, Rousey clearly hits like a truck for her division.

As for the whole "they have to play defense when they're striking" argument, it feels awful fishy for the male Bantams/Flys. Maybe it's me, but I don't see lots of "elite" striking defense in Male Bantam/Flys outside of the upper rank fighters either.

Pretty sure it's you. The striking at male Bantam/Fly isn't even comparable to the striking in the female divisions.

He is right everyone praises her as being amazing but she looks so sloppy

It is a completely different feeling than when GSP or Anderson or Fedor were dominating, they were so good at what they did against very high level competition

Ronda is good at Judo with very sloppy striking and nobody worth mentioning as competition, she will never be among the all time greats to me

Rousey vs Fedor

SLpM 4.35 3.18
Str. Acc. 63% 51%

Rousey strikes more frequently and more accurately than Fedor over their respective careers.

That's probably because she's fighting punching bags and not skilled fighters like Crocop. The women's division is years away from anything we can call depth of talent.

Pretty sure it's you. The striking at male Bantam/Fly isn't even comparable to the striking in the female divisions.

I never said they were comparable, I just said that I didn't see loads of elite striking defense outside of the upper ranked fighters. IE, not enough for there to not be more fighters with legit 1-shot KO's than Rousey (1).

IE, there are plenty of strikers with bad defense in men's Bantam and Flys yet there's still a serious shortage of KO's.

Compare that to HW's where they hit a LOT harder and you see a significantly higher 1-shot KO rate.

Luke Thomas broke down Ronda's finish over Bethe and was gushing over her striking in the final sequence.

tumblr_m98nqrQOAc1reu1vyo1_400.gif

I never said they were comparable, I just said that I didn't see loads of elite striking defense outside of the upper ranked fighters. IE, not enough for there to not be more fighters with legit 1-shot KO's than Rousey (1).

IE, there are plenty of strikers with bad defense in men's Bantam and Flys yet there's still a serious shortage of KO's.

Compare that to HW's where they hit a LOT harder and you see a significantly higher 1-shot KO rate.

You never said they were comparable, yet you are comparing them like they are. Even the fighters with the worst striking defense at male Bantam/Fly divisions have better striking defense then nearly all of the women in the UFC. This is why we don't see as many KOs, along with the obvious fact that lower weight classes don't hit as hard as the heavier ones.

You never said they were comparable, yet you are comparing them like they are. Even the fighters with the worst striking defense at male Bantam/Fly divisions have better striking defense then nearly all of the women in the UFC. This is why we don't see as many KOs, along with the obvious fact that lower weight classes don't hit as hard as the heavier ones.

No, I'm not comparing Men's Bantams/Flys to the entire Women's division, I'm comparing them solely to Rousey.

And them having better striking defense than most women (none) is irrelevant given the number of strikes thrown vs landed and the number of opportunities to land a KO.

Let's put it this way, Rousey throws few strikes per fight because her fights are so short. The men throw a LOT more strikes, ie, they would have a lot more opportunities to put their opponents in trouble and have a shot at a clean KO.

Now, if you're arguing that the difference in defense is SO vast that they don't have the opportunity to throw a clean KO over a period of far more minutes with far more strikes, that's what I'm not fully buying. A clean hook/uppercut/cross is clean no matter how you cut it, and if appropriately placed with reasonable power should result in a clean KO.

And I have issues with the "defense" argument because these guys aren't all fighting the top of their divisions. They fought through the lower ranks where the level of defense is lower.

Given that striking defense in MMA in general is sub-par, we're not talking a division full of Mayweathers we're talking guys with ample opportunity to land a clean strike.

It's a math thing if you see what I'm getting at...

The GOAT speaks. Nothing else to say.

No, I'm not comparing Men's Bantams/Flys to the entire Women's division, I'm comparing them solely to Rousey.

And them having better striking defense than most women (none) is irrelevant given the number of strikes thrown vs landed and the number of opportunities to land a KO.

Let's put it this way, Rousey throws few strikes per fight because her fights are so short. The men throw a LOT more strikes, ie, they would have a lot more opportunities to put their opponents in trouble and have a shot at a clean KO.

Now, if you're arguing that the difference in defense is SO vast that they don't have the opportunity to throw a clean KO over a period of far more minutes with far more strikes, that's what I'm not fully buying. A clean hook/uppercut/cross is clean no matter how you cut it, and if appropriately placed with reasonable power should result in a clean KO.

And I have issues with the "defense" argument because these guys aren't all fighting the top of their divisions. They fought through the lower ranks where the level of defense is lower.

Given that striking defense in MMA in general is sub-par, we're not talking a division full of Mayweathers we're talking guys with ample opportunity to land a clean strike.

It's a math thing if you see what I'm getting at...

It's not just that men have better striking defense. It's the fact that men hit harder than women and therefore can't afford to take as many shots as the female fighters can. Because of this, the men are forced to fight safer and with better technique. The women on the other hand can afford to brawl and throw sloppy punches because their opponents don't have the same amount of power to make them pay for it. If the male Bantam/Fly fighters came out as wildly as Ronda's opponents do at the beginning of every fight, all of their fights would end in KOs within the opening seconds.

There are also many more straight KOs in the male Bantam/Fly divisions. From what I can remember, Ronda's KO of Bethe was the first out cold WMMA KO we've seen in the UFC thus far (there are a few other fights that have been close, but not quite). There are many more than that in the Bantam/Fly male divisions. Not to mention that Ronda's KO wasn't necessarily the result of Ronda having 1-punch KO power, but that they were participating in a sloppy brawl when it occurred.

Edit

I saw the more accurate translation. This should not even be a thread based on that if all he said is he would prefer not to see as many punches get through on her.

Although not sure i am buying that translation given he mentioned it as a response to her ranking

I think I will wait until this gets cleared up

My reply was based more on previous comments and an assumption the quote wasn't perfectly translated. Based on previous comments Fedor has made, it's clear to me that he doesn't like women getting hit even if they're being hit by other women.

'painful reception'. :) i think something got lost in translation there.

Back