Fedor: Ronda misses a lot of punches, which leads to painful reception

steve-buscemi-shocked-teeth.gif

Good post! That's how I feel about my sexual preferences when I do that... but yet... it all feels so right

This is such an absurd criticism, mainly for two reasons:

1. So do many men

2. It's not true anyways, Ronda crushes everybody in the first round, usually within seconds. If anything, she is taking less damage than just about ANYBODY, EVER.

And I love Fedor, so I won't get too into the fact that he was never exactly Mr. Floyd eMaylienko when it came to strike evasion himself.

There is no Floyd like defensive fighter in MMA.

Fedor had better defensive measurements than anybody in heavyweight at that time.

But seriously, he isn't wrong. Ronda eats fucking punches for breakfast. It might not matter because it's women, but he is stating the obvious.

Admittedly the only reaction that makes sense.

Seriously though, I don't see a conflict of interest.

Yeah, I don't either. War Honda & Fedya.

It's a shame that the man doesn't respect the woman in this case, but as a fan, ultimately it's irrelevant. Just chalk it up to one more of Fedor's beliefs that I don't agree with, no biggie. I'll still watch all of his fights, and I'd still toast a vodka with him.

There is no Floyd like defensive fighter in MMA.

That's why they shouldn't talk shit.

Fedor had better defensive measurements than anybody in heavyweight at that time.

I have never considered Fedor's striking defense to be exceptional. Not bad, but not noteworthy. That's just me though.

But seriously, he isn't wrong. Ronda eats fucking punches for breakfast. It might not matter because it's women, but he is stating the obvious.

It's overstated, and yes it also doesn't matter because it's women, and the fact that Ronda's game is to overwhelm her opponents and finish them quickly. She's not trying to Holly Holm people.

Yeah, I don't either. War Honda & Fedya.

It's a shame that the man doesn't respect the woman in this case, but as a fan, ultimately it's irrelevant. Just chalk it up to one more of Fedor's beliefs that I don't agree with, no biggie. I'll still watch all of his fights, and I'd still toast a vodka with him.

Agreed, Fedor's a little old school for me to agree with him on this matter, but his fighting style and overall humbleness cause me to turn the other cheek; therefore he's a goddamn saint!

This is such an absurd criticism, mainly for two reasons:

1. So do many men

2. It's not true anyways, Ronda crushes everybody in the first round, usually within seconds. If anything, she is taking less damage than just about ANYBODY, EVER.

And I love Fedor, so I won't get too into the fact that he was never exactly Mr. Floyd eMaylienko when it came to strike evasion himself.

Well:
1) He didn't say women miss a lot of punches he said Ronda does. It was not a criticism of women, but one of Ronda specifically. So..... countering it with a point about what men do is pretty pointless, no?
2) It is true. She misses a lot, and gets hit back. The fact that her division cannot provide "painful reception" right now doesn't change the fact that her method of striking is one that leads to "painful reception".

Also, Fedor's still considered one of the more elusive fighters in MMA ever. You don't have to agree, but since the numbers are on his side, your difficulty in believing them isn't really relevant to reality.

Fedor just doesn't like women getting punched. He cares significantly less about the physical well-being of men.

Edit

I saw the more accurate translation. This should not even be a thread based on that if all he said is he would prefer not to see as many punches get through on her.

Although not sure i am buying that translation given he mentioned it as a response to her ranking

I think I will wait until this gets cleared up

Last edited:
Why especially for women? Most of them have no KO power, so it matters even less than for men.

Exactly my thought. The weaker the incoming punches, the more risks you can take. That's why Ronda can do well since while she's not good at striking she has the athleticism to hit hard and put pressure on her opponent. So it's not especially for women, it's the exact opposite.

Rousey vs Fedor

SLpM 4.35 3.18
Str. Acc. 63% 51%

Rousey strikes more frequently and more accurately than Fedor over their respective careers.

Pretty amusing in the context.

If their was any talent in the female divison, I might agree with the goat. But he isn't taking her landscape into account.

Well:
1) He didn't say women miss a lot of punches he said Ronda does. It was not a criticism of women, but one of Ronda specifically. So..... countering it with a point about what men do is pretty pointless, no?

Only if you wish to live in denial of the known fact that Fedor is openly against WMMA's very existence, thus ignoring the context of his specific criticisms.

2) It is true. She misses a lot, and gets hit back. The fact that her division cannot provide "painful reception" right now doesn't change the fact that her method of striking is one that leads to "painful reception".

Ronda does not get hit a lot. Her fights are not even long enough to get hit a lot. Some people just notice a lot more when heavy spotlighted fighters take a punch or three.

You don't have to agree, but since the numbers are on his side, your difficulty in believing them isn't really relevant to reality.

Spouting a vague reference to "the numbers" is about as lazy as Fedor's defense in the Bigfoot fight.

I've seen every Fedor fight. His striking defense is okay, but certainly not exceptional. That was never his style. He would get in your face & seek to overwhelm his opponent, every time. He often took damage to do this. If anything, that aspect of him resembles Ronda.

Last edited:
Fedor's still considered one of the more elusive fighters in MMA ever.

Also, this has not been true, ever.

When it came to the striking, what some called sloppy and untechnical, others called aggressively effective and technically unorthodox, but Fedor is not now, nor was he ever known as "one of the more elusive fighters in MMA ever". He was known as a durable, aggressive finisher who could withstand any onslaught, and find a way in.

Only if you wish to live in denial of the known fact that Fedor is openly against WMMA's very existence, thus ignoring the context of his specific criticisms.

Not really.
The criticism is off her, not of women's mma. In order to make your point stick, you have to assign motives to Fedor, and make assumptions about his intent. Clearly a flawed approach.
He was asked about women's mma, he said he does not approve, not that they all leave themselves open to getting hit. His criticism of Rousey was more specific.
You responding with "some men do that too" is meaningless, because he neither said no men suffer from the same problem, nor did he say that all women do.

I don't really approve of women's mma either, but when I say that Ronda's striking is sloppy, I am not at all saying that all women are sloppy strikers. Ronda is, though.
You're projecting Sherdog discourse on to Fedor, and it's understandable, but still meaningless.

How about you criticise what he actually said, rather than adding motives of your own just to give you more reasons to bitch about him?

Though, if I give you the benefit of the doubt, and Fedor was in fact talking about WMMA in general, and not Ronda specifically, your counterpoint still doesn't matter.
Saying "some guys are also shitty at that" is, at best, a desperate deflection of "all woman are shit at that" and, at worst, a concession that he's right, and you probably shouldn't be trying to argue for the sake of it.
Should we list all the fighters under the Zuffa banner, and figure out what percentage of each gender is prone to throwing sloppy strikes, with no thought given to defense? I guess that has the potential to strengthen your argument, so maybe you should get on it, if you think this is a point worth making.
Since otherwise the assumption is going to continue to be that the women are far more guilty of this than the guys, you could both make your point a worthwhile one, and turn Sherdog assumptions on their head in one fell swoop.

I'll be waiting on the edge of my seat for what you uncover.

Ronda does not get hit a lot. Her fights are not even long enough to get hit a lot. Some people just notice a lot more when heavy spotlighted fighters take a punch or three.

I didn't say she gets hit a lot. I said she gets hit back.
Don't start putting words into my mouth too, please. I'm actually here to clarify, unlike Fedor, so you needn't make assumptions about my intent.
I should have said she gets hit back unnecessarily, since that actually means something. Apologies.

Like I said, her division cannot provide the "painful reception". She leaves herself open to getting hit, and is depending on her opponents not being able to hit hard enough for it to matter. That's fine, 'cos it's true, but the criticism is still valid, since, maybe in his opinion, one's strategy shouldn't lean so heavily on one's own weaknesses, and one should form strategies that are not completely contingent on everyone else being bad at their job.

Spouting a vague reference to "the numbers" is about as lazy as Fedor's defense in the Bigfoot fight.

Sorry, you're right. I expected a moderator on an MMA forum to know a few things about one of the sport's greats. In the future I will take a page from Rousey's book, and assume the worst of my 'competition'.

Here (strikes absorbed per minute):
UFC top 10: http://blog.fightmetric.com/2011/02/ufc-leaders-strikes-absorbed-per-minute.html
Rousey: http://www.fightmetric.com/fighter-details/8bdac25ce0bb874d
Fedor: http://www.fightmetric.com/fighter-details/b8da6f5c80ae2d15

Rousey: 2.63
Fedor: 1.00

Even after the thrashing he took in the Bigfoot fight, he has still absorbed few enough strikes to be in the top 3 of that list of UFC fighters, while Ronda gets hit too often to make the top ten of the same list, getting hit more than twice as often, even though her matches hardly ever make it out of the first round, and are predominantly exhibitions of her grappling prowess.

I've seen every Fedor fight.

Seeing and understanding are not the same thing.
Which you illustrate perfectly here:

His striking defense is okay, but certainly not exceptional. That was never his style. He would get in your face & seek to overwhelm his opponent, every time. He often took damage to do this. If anything, that aspect of him resembles Ronda.

Misha Zilberter
The English translation could be a bit misinterpreted. It should rather be "but I would prefer her not to let so many punches through, that is quite painful/harmful". В нынешнем виде больше звучит, что "она часто не попадает, и это приводит к болезненной реакции других."
That makes more sense
Also, this has not been true, ever.

When it came to the striking, what some called sloppy and untechnical, others called aggressively effective and technically unorthodox, but Fedor is not now, nor was he ever known as "one of the more elusive fighters in MMA ever". He was known as a durable, aggressive finisher who could withstand any onslaught, and find a way in.
Actually it has. Its been a long time since I've seen this stat but when the UFC was pushing Machida as the most elusive fighter someone did an analysis and found that he indeed was the most elusive fighter in the UFC in that he takes the fewest strikes per minute. However, they did the same for Fedor and he slightly edged Machida. This was before his loss to Werdum/Bigfoot/Hendo. It shouldn't be surprising; he had exceptional striking defense for a HW but its likely mainly because because of how much he leaned on his grappling early on and the fact that he got his fair share of squash matches in PRIDE.

Eh, I think he is criticizing her punching accuracy, which is sloppy and creates openings for her to get counter-punched.

I asked my Russian friend but he's sleeping now. I'll get back to you guys with a good translation.

Back