Favorite comic books?

517n5OIJZVL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Goat

I have 1-about 20-25?

I remeber when they first appeared on the grocery store magazine rack(I would get a comic at the grocery store with my mom) and he had only been in mad magazine before.

Watchmen, Invincible, Walking Dead, 100 Bullets but not the end, Mark Millar stuff

Superman: Red Son. It's a "What if Superman had crash landed in Soviet Russia?" Great story.

Superman: Secret Identity. Another "What if?" Kind of story where there aren't really Super heroes in the world, and a kid is named Clark Kent.......or are there super heroes?

The Boys

Planetary

The Dark Knight

So many more I could list, but those came to mind immediately.

Marvel Max: Nick Fury Agent of Shield is also fucking awesome.

Hulk: Future Imperfect is amazing as well.

Hard to pick just one. Lots of my favorites have already been posted like Lone Wolf - Sin City - Swamp Thing ect

So I'll throw up a bunch that I own and am very fond of.
51Mq79yjxxL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
1080183.jpg
Batman_Birth_of_the_Demon.jpg
Deadman_-_Love_After_Death_1.jpg
556153.jpg

ANYTIME Barry Windsor-Smith drew Wolverine or Storm or Fantastic Four

IMG-3302.jpg

Tumblr-lgqm8t-IQmh1qcy5lco1-1280.jpg

Bws-ff-p2.jpg

Watchmen (Pretty confident this is my favourite comic mini-series. I find Moore fairly pretentious and mediocre otherwise. He's good at deconstructing, but terrible at constructing.)

In no particular order below Watchmen:

Sandman (though I haven't had any particular desire to read it the last 4-5 years. Neil Gaiman sucks as a novelist by the way, and has been rehashing material for the last twenty years. There I said it, American Gods and Good Omens fanboys).

The Dark Knight Returns (I like a lot of Miller's works, but besides DKR I'm not blown away by any of it).

Zenith (Morrison is pretty groovy in general. He's just never had a "jackpot" moment in his career).

Transmetropolitan (Quite liked Ellis' run on The Authority as well. Won't get into how The Boys copies a lot of themes from it).

Marvel Civil War (Only Marvel storyline I can recall that I've found particularly interesting, not counting Punisher. Other acclaimed stories like World War Hulk, Logan or Secret Wars are grossly overrated. The number of Marvel characters that can be catalysts for intellectually engaging stories is very limited. )

Lobo when -and only when- illustrated by Bisley.

Cerberus (I like to pretend I understand it).

And then there's Hellblazer, 100 Bullets, Punisher, Preacher, Batman No Man's Land, and so on. The usual suspects, basically. A lot of the time it depends on which writer's run you look at.

Also Tintin, Dredd, various Metal Hurlant/Heavy Metal stories et cetera. Not sure if these count though.

All in all my taste in comics is pretty unoriginal. You could get it off of any top 10 list floating around the Internet. I don't really read much these days either.

Neil Gaiman sucks as a novelist by the way, and has been rehashing material for the last twenty years. There I said it, American Gods and Good Omens fanboys).
I know what you mean, but I think his work is surprisingly good. Not ground-breaking, and certainly not innovative in ideas, but for some reason his narrative style gets meatier and meatier the more times I read it. I thought AMERICAN GODS was stone cold boring the first time but I kept revisiting it and now I think it's stone cold steve awesome.
Lobo when -and only when- illustrated by Bisley.
I grew to appreciate Cam Kennedy on LOBO: UNAMERICAN GLADIATORS. If you haven't seen it, you should definitely check out HITMAN/LOBO, which is but one issue. Doug Mahnke on art and Garth Ennis trying to adequately write Lobo: it's cocaine.

I'm pretty sure you hated Keith Giffen's artwork, if you're "only Bisley" on LOBO, but shit man I loved the hell out of Keith's jigsaw puzzle style.

latest

I thought AMERICAN GODS was stone cold boring the first time but I kept revisiting it and now I think it's stone cold steve awesome.

Meh, I dunno. I haven't read American Gods since it came out in 2001, and I'd finished reading the final Sandman album just a month or two before. So I picked the book up with Sandman still fresh in memory. I just remember feeling like I was reading the same themes, narrative structure, and often the same characters, in book format instead of comic format. Which besides being less interesting the second time around was a step down without the visuals. And I'm pretty sure there are a couple of instances where Gaiman literally recycles phrases and sentences from Sandman. You'll likely miss it unless you go straight from the comic to the novel the way I did, and judged on its own the book might not suffer for it. But it sure was distracting at the time.
I mean, it's not a bad book. Heck, I could absolutely see how people unfamiliar with the comic might consider it pretty groundbreaking. I just have a hard time appreciating it while being aware the writer actually broke that same ground in the early 90's.

I grew to appreciate Cam Kennedy on LOBO: UNAMERICAN GLADIATORS. If you haven't seen it, you should definitely check out HITMAN/LOBO, which is but one issue. Doug Mahnke on art and Garth Ennis trying to adequately write Lobo: it's cocaine.

I read it. It's, you know, entertaining. Ennis is always good for a larf. Lobo will never be what you'd exactly call thought-provoking though. Putting Bisley on drawing the character was a match made in heaven, but I don't think of Lobo as anything but lightweight fun outside of that.

It all depends on if you mean from my vintage collection of about 3000 comics or from my more recent graphic novels collection & compendiums.

Historically my favorite title has always been AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. So, I'll stick with it.

As far as graphic novels are concerned though, I'll go with Alan Moore's FROM HELL & WATCHMEN. I also love Scott Snyder's WYTCHES & the recent SOMETHING IS KILLING THE CHILDREN.
20200924_153942.jpg
20200924_154056.jpg
20200809_123937.jpg

Attachments

• 20200809_123937.jpg
    20200809_123937.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 0
I enjoyed The Boys...until it got to Hugie's Scotland part.

All Garth Ennis comics end up in either Scotland or Ireland. I'm not even joking. They must also include at least one S.A.S member. If Garth Ennis was ever put on writing Silver Surfer, he'd be named Doyle and come from the planet Hereford-66.

1.Alan Moore's watchmen
2.Neil Gaimans Sandman
3.Garth Ennis The boys
4. Mike Mignola Hellboy
5.Jeph loeb Hush