Fact: Jones' primary gameplan was to wrestle Gus, not to try and outbox him

That fight wouldn't get sanctioned, GG doesn't train and he'd possibly use illegal handwraps with all of this insider knowledge he has

That fight wouldn't get sanctioned, GG doesn't train and he'd possibly use illegal handwraps with all of this insider knowledge he has

I think it's worth a try to make this fight happen. I mean, you are both talking big game. I'd like to see who comes out the victor.

As convinced as I am that Gustafsson won the first fight, Jones is good enough to beat him easily. I'm more scared for Gus in a second fight.

I think it's worth a try to make this fight happen. I mean, you are both talking big game. I'd like to see who comes out the victor.

I don't even want to fight him, I just want him to teach me how to wrap my hands :icon_cry2

I don't even want to fight him, I just want him to teach me how to wrap my hands :icon_cry2

Seriously, apparently he knows more about it than anyone I've managed to be able to deal with. He must be a savant.

Lol @ GotGOAT getting exposed again for having never trained a day in his life. I called him in it months ago. Dude furiously Googles compustrike/Wikipedia shit then blends it in with wordy novels and pretends he some expert striking analyst.

Also, Daspy by KO. I know for a fact he actually trains.

I never use the boxing hand wrap because I rely upon my technique to land clean punches without breaking my hands, does this mean I always plan to grapple?

I never use the boxing hand wrap because I rely upon my technique to land clean punches without breaking my hands, does this mean I always plan to grapple?

Focus pads 48-47

Lol @ GotGOAT getting exposed again for having never trained a day in his life. I called him in it months ago. Dude furiously Googles compustrike/Wikipedia shit then blends it in with wordy novels and pretends he some expert striking analyst.

Also, Daspy by KO. I know for a fact he actually trains.

I really could be wrong, maybe he's a badass. I'm really nothing special, I'm just jewish and hate the idea of wasting money on something I'm not using

http://www.insidemma.com.au/fighters/377-jacob-stitch-duran-behind-the-fight-

Translation: He customly wraps their hands as they want, which is a preference and subject to change at any given moment, from fight to fight. Tweet the guy and ask if most fighters that he knows well always use the same wrap and I'll bet you he'll tell you no.
Alright, let's break this down.

First of all, the way you're wrapping (Pepper Roach's technique) is this: http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-basics/how-to-box/how-to-wrap-your-hands

This is great for amateur fighters, but these are pros fighting in a professional fight, so they have a pro wrap their hands. This pro is Stitch. Now, Stitch has his own method, which he uses on all fighters, and makes minor changes to this method depending on fighters' needs. So let's look at Stitch's method.

Basically, he uses gauze and tape. SOP for the pros, as you're not allowed to use anything else. He wraps the gauze around the wrist, the hand, and the knuckles. He uses a roll of gauze for all fighters (guys with big hands like Lesnar use 1.5 rolls, girls with small hands use a little less than a roll, but the majority use a roll). The gauze is folded a number of times on the knuckles as padding, as he can't use the "pads" that boxers use because of the smaller gloves. Then he finishes it off with tape around the upper part of the hand and the wrist to protect the bones.

Now, here's where the "tapout" vs "knockout" comes into play. In the "knockout" version, he tapes the upper part of the hand and the wrist longitudinally, before finishing it off normally. The theory behind this is that it makes everything tighter, and offers a bit more bone protection, and keeps the wrist straighter to transfer more power. The "tapout" version still has a lot of support, but allows a little more flexibility of the wrist and is a little looser.

Now, Stitch can fine-tune this according to fighters' needs, but the method doesn't change. He can add a little more tape to support injured or prone-to-injury bones (Bisping needs this on his right hand), or he can add a little more padding to the knuckles. But these are minor changes, as the gloves are small so he's limited to what he can do.

So, the "knockout" vs "tapout" are really the same handwraps, with just a little adjustment. Basically, which version to use comes down to the fighter and what he feels is best. They're both pretty good at protecting the hand. According to Stitch, the most common cause of hand injuries are punches that land at a weird angle on top of the head, usually as a result of wide, looping hooks. So a fighter who has/is prone to hand injuries or uses a style which has a higher risk of hand injury or just plain prefers a tighter feel will use the "knockout" version, and the rest basically use the "tapout" version.

Here's a video to show you the method:

[YT]bKR41ah9GNs[/YT]

You can see the longitudinal tape which makes it a "knockout" version. Basically, the "knockout" and "tapout" names are just a cute way of asking what kinda style (tighter vs looser) the fighter prefers that are designed to get a fighter motivated. Instead of saying, "loose or tight" you say "knockout" so the fighter gets pumped up and clams his nerves.

As you can see, it makes no difference to the actual game-plan of a fighter, and it makes no difference in terms of padding really. It just tightens the bones to reduce the risk of breakage. You can also see that it's really not custom at all, just fine-tuned to a fighter's wants. The biggest change to this is that some fighters have asked him to not do the thumb, but he talks them into doing it as it's important. "Tapout" will work anywhere, so will "knockout." They also don't change the number of injuries, as handwraps don't eliminate fractures, just reduce them. You can break your hand with either wrap, and if there's any difference in them it's the feel. Anything else is a theory/placebo.

To answer your question, guys like Bisping always use the same style, cause of injuries. Other fighters might change from fight to fight depending on injuries.

Finally, your claim of padding reducing power is pure bullshit. You cannot put enough padding on your hands from handwraps to reduce your power noticeably. You claimed Hendricks' handwraps were too thick and robbed him of power, but we've already proven that as bullshit. Then you claimed other fighters have complained of thick handwraps affecting grappling and punching power, so I'm gonna ask you for proof of that? Considering that Stitch wraps like 98% of the fighters' hands, it's difficult to believe, especially when he himself has said no fighter has complained about his handwraps yet (I guess besides Hendricks, which we've proven was an excuse for his lack of performance). With the small gloves the UFC uses, it would be impossible to put so much padding that it interferes with fighting. You gotta keep in mind that an MMA fight can go to the ground at any time, so the "knockout" wraps still work quite well on the ground. Boxers, due to the large gloves, use much more padding and there's still no report of loss of power. In fact, they still get bruises and fractures, even with all the padding. If it caused loss of power, then boxers wouldn't try to cheat by using illegal padding.

Remember, the purpose of the wraps is to protect your bones. The glove padding is what's responsible for the power.

TL;DR: "Knockout" and "tapout" wraps are really the same with one minor change. Your claim of padding reducing power is BS.

TL;DR of the TL;DR: You have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Apparently so. One of my wrestler training partners with really hard hands (although overall poor striking) likes what Got GOAT describes as 'striking' wrappings. So apparently he always plans to strike...which is never the case, haha.

The story of the fight was JJ's heart and Gus lost the fight because he got out-hearted plain and simple.

I did not know they had an option of two different wraps to choose from. Interesting. The rest though...

Jones said over and over that he wanted to come in and out box Gus.

I haven't caught up on this thread yet, but I'm taking Got GOAT via reach. I heard the other one is a manlet.

Hendricks complained that his boxing wraps were too thick in the GSP fight. He was bitching about that because if the wraps are too thick then it affects your punching power a bit, since there's more cushion in the way of your fist and the target when connecting and delivering a punch's force. He was using it as an excuse for why he didn't knock GSP out.

If what you're saying is actually true, you just completely countered your entire shitty hypothesis.

So what you're saying is -and correct me if I'm wrong- but what you're saying is that according to Hendricks he felt the boxing wraps inhibited his ability to land the knockout?

So let's use some of that intuition and logic you've been claiming you use to draw a plausible conclusion related to Jones here.

If this is knowledge fighters have, then would it not be plausible that Jones took the thinner wraps to avoid the issue Hendricks had?

I'm just using information you gave me, bub. Either your information is shit or your hypothesis is shit. You tell me.

Back