Fact: Jones' primary gameplan was to wrestle Gus, not to try and outbox him

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Got GOAT, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Got GOAT

Got GOAT Banned Banned

So, in heading into the Gus fight, we've all heard the "Jones never trained his wrestling" excuse in effect to try and save him some face for what it's worth. In fact, numerous times right here on 'ole Sherdog it's been purported and oft parroted, as if it's some well known "fact" to explain and remedy his lesser than usual performance on that dark, cold and dreadful night. Jon lent some credence to this sentiment (though he never said 'never' trained that I've heard) in saying that he believes he concentrated too much on his boxing in preparation for the fight. Well, contradictorily, when given the choice by 'Stitch' Duran to go with the boxing hand wrap or the grappling hand wrap, he chose the grappling wrap for the contest. This means that Jones preferably intended to try and wrestle/grapple Gus and not to primarily box (hand fight) him. Actions speak louder than words, as it's said, despite regularly hearing how Jon always wants to best his opponents at their own strength; in this case, by being committed to trying to outbox Gus as the supposed original gameplan's primary strategy was believed to have been.

The key difference between these two wraps is the thickness of each, as the boxing hand wrap (referred to as the "knockout" wrap) is made thicker to help with protecting and stabilizing the bones and joints in the hand. The grappling wrap (referred to as the "tapout" wrap) is made thinner to increase mobility within the hand to allow for stronger grips to be established.

The choice of hand wrap directly reveals to us a fighter's intention through this telling decision, or at least their initial intention, to box (hand fight) or to grapple, as Plan A & Plan B (fallback plan), respectively. By knowing the fighter's intention, through the preference of their wrap, we can logically deduce with a high probability which one had more focus in their training camp (an exception being a split 50/50, which their base would likely be chosen by default). Jones clearly preferred grappling here and it isn't surprising given that wrestling is his base after all.

Conclusion: In summation, and based upon this new found evidence in conjunction with other evidences, we can now safely assume that Jones trained his wrestling adequately enough to be his foremost strategic weapon for the fight. If he had neglected training his wrestling then he instead would've logically decided on the boxing hand wrap since that's where his focus would've been at in this particular training camp. Jones didn't plan on going tit-for-tat with Gustafsson's boxing in the first place, he trained more to his own strengths (wrestling & submission grappling) to meet and attempt to neutralize that imminent threat. If I were a Jones fan then this would be a bit disheartening and relatively concerning given that he all but failed to execute his 'Plan A' last time, which almost cost him the fight and consequently his belt.

[YT]H-sKX-HZowM?start=462&end=471[/YT]​

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. trblesome1

trblesome1 Silver Belt

There is much butt hurt in this thread and I don't want to address it all so I'll keep it simple

[​IMG]

3. FallonFoxGOAT

FallonFoxGOAT Banned Banned

MFW TS' "Fact" title is actually an opinion:

[​IMG]

4. Got GOAT

Got GOAT Banned Banned

Nice rebuttal here. You have much to teach my friend.

5. SilvaMoney

SilvaMoney Green Belt

Fake cough mate

6. Got GOAT

Got GOAT Banned Banned

As your luck would have it (being a Jones "fan"), logic dictates. Jones asked for the other hand wrap, the one you were hoping he didn't choose. :(

7. Charlestonboy

Charlestonboy Blue Belt

You want me read that and watch a video? Lol.

8. Uncommon Valor

Uncommon Valor Super Fly

Over a year later and he's still butthurt.

9. pv3Hpv3p

pv3Hpv3p Brown Belt

Or maybe Jones just prefers the "grappling" hand wraps?

Just saying, your assumption does not equal fact

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  10. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    That makes his performance even more impressive considering it was a strike that changed the whole fight for Jones

11. Fbed

Fbed Luna Belt Platinum Member

Cool Story

12. It Just Is

It Just Is Green Belt

I don't really think he had a gameplan against Gus starting out. He just trained to be ready to respond to Gus' output, not too bad of a plan against someone he's much better than, but against a skilled warrior like Gus, it almost was Jones' undoing.

Jones' strategy against Chael: Clinch with him, take him down, and beat him up.

Jones' strategy against Rampage: Fight him on the outside. Granted, Jones went for the Take down when he saw Rampage was no longer a threat.

Jones' strategy for Glover was initially to attack at range and spam take downs, according to Jon. However, Jon found some success inside so he stuck with that.

Jones' strategy for Gus was what I stated earlier. Once Jones realized he couldn't do what he wanted, he saw himself in a fight. The take downs was what he relied on because Gus was piecing him up. However, I don't think spamming take downs were part of the plan, it was more or less to give him a fighting chance. Once Jones realized it wouldn't work, he had to get creating with his strikes.

I don't think Jones can go into a Gus fight thinking he's simply better than him flat out. He'd have to plan like he did for Cormier; not necessarily fight exactly the same, but use that focus in order to develop a plan for Gus. Sure, Jones tried to wrestle Gus, but it seemed more like it was forced, it wasn't the right strategy and it showed.

What Jones will probably do in the next fight is stay in close to do real damage. At range, Jones can get hit because Gus has longer legs. Jones needs to tie Gus up and beat him up on the inside and take him down from the clinch. I no doubt believe that will be Jones' plan against Gus. Jones shouldn't even try to punch Gus, just kick him on the outside at the very most.

13. Got GOAT

Got GOAT Banned Banned

Yeah, that makes complete sense actually. I'd prefer the worst wrap for the job too. I mean, I wouldn't mind breaking my hand(s) with them trying to do the job they're not optimally intended for.

14. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    Show me the data of the % of fighters who break their hands with the grappling wrap

15. AndrewGolota48

AndrewGolota48 Silver Belt

The recent talk of Jones barely training for fights is some kind of bizarre PR concoction. Jones had bad cardio earlier in his career and now how astoundingly good cardio. No one naturally develops great cardio out of nowhere without training hard. His body has also continued to get more solid, thick, and tight over the years.

If anything these rumors make the PED speculation look a lot more plausible, so it's a bit insane for guys like Stann to be spouting this stuff off.

16. SnowBlynd

SnowBlynd Red Belt

I'm sure jones trained for gus. People make it look like he didn't put in the work in training but I think it's more gus is just that good now. And he's probably a lot better than that fight.

17. pv3Hpv3p

pv3Hpv3p Brown Belt

Or he could be thinking...

My striking is solid, and I didn't prep wrestling as much, maybe I need all the help I can get in that area? That and I'll probably wobble him with some spinning elbow type shit, so my hands will be fine! :icon_chee

But there is no way it could be anything other than your take on it, right?

18. Yolandabecool**

Yolandabecool** Brown Belt

Training his wrestling to a greater degree will have little bearing in a rematch anyway. The footwork from Gus was the biggest factor. His lateral movement was perfect forcing Jon to strike air. When you have an 84 inch reach and you miss, it is very easy to get countered.

This allowed Gustafsson to dictate the distance more so than Jon. In a rematch Jon will have to control Gustafsson's movement. This won't be achieved through wrestling, he will require superior movement and a technical boost to his boxing.

I think Jon might find a way again but my head tells me he's losing his title in 2015.

19. Got GOAT

Got GOAT Banned Banned

Which is more likely -- if wrapped in the same fashion, to break a hand with a thicker wrap or with a thinner wrap? No data needs to be analyzed to decode that. If there was no distinguishable difference in reliability then they wouldn't be given the choice to begin with, don't you think?

20. wake_me

wake_me Black Belt

Jones was spamming that spinning back elbow so much, I thought I was watching UFC 3 game play footage....but kudos to him for eventually landing it.