Fact: Jones' primary gameplan was to wrestle Gus, not to try and outbox him

Alright, let's break this down.

First of all, the way you're wrapping (Pepper Roach's technique) is this: http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-basics/how-to-box/how-to-wrap-your-hands

This is great for amateur fighters, but these are pros fighting in a professional fight, so they have a pro wrap their hands. This pro is Stitch. Now, Stitch has his own method, which he uses on all fighters, and makes minor changes to this method depending on fighters' needs. So let's look at Stitch's method.

Basically, he uses gauze and tape. SOP for the pros, as you're not allowed to use anything else. He wraps the gauze around the wrist, the hand, and the knuckles. He uses a roll of gauze for all fighters (guys with big hands like Lesnar use 1.5 rolls, girls with small hands use a little less than a roll, but the majority use a roll). The gauze is folded a number of times on the knuckles as padding, as he can't use the "pads" that boxers use because of the smaller gloves. Then he finishes it off with tape around the upper part of the hand and the wrist to protect the bones.

Now, here's where the "tapout" vs "knockout" comes into play. In the "knockout" version, he tapes the upper part of the hand and the wrist longitudinally, before finishing it off normally. The theory behind this is that it makes everything tighter, and offers a bit more bone protection, and keeps the wrist straighter to transfer more power. The "tapout" version still has a lot of support, but allows a little more flexibility of the wrist and is a little looser.

Now, Stitch can fine-tune this according to fighters' needs, but the method doesn't change. He can add a little more tape to support injured or prone-to-injury bones (Bisping needs this on his right hand), or he can add a little more padding to the knuckles. But these are minor changes, as the gloves are small so he's limited to what he can do.

So, the "knockout" vs "tapout" are really the same handwraps, with just a little adjustment. Basically, which version to use comes down to the fighter and what he feels is best. They're both pretty good at protecting the hand. According to Stitch, the most common cause of hand injuries are punches that land at a weird angle on top of the head, usually as a result of wide, looping hooks. So a fighter who has/is prone to hand injuries or uses a style which has a higher risk of hand injury or just plain prefers a tighter feel will use the "knockout" version, and the rest basically use the "tapout" version.

Here's a video to show you the method:

[YT]bKR41ah9GNs[/YT]

You can see the longitudinal tape which makes it a "knockout" version. Basically, the "knockout" and "tapout" names are just a cute way of asking what kinda style (tighter vs looser) the fighter prefers that are designed to get a fighter motivated. Instead of saying, "loose or tight" you say "knockout" so the fighter gets pumped up and clams his nerves.

As you can see, it makes no difference to the actual game-plan of a fighter, and it makes no difference in terms of padding really. It just tightens the bones to reduce the risk of breakage. You can also see that it's really not custom at all, just fine-tuned to a fighter's wants. The biggest change to this is that some fighters have asked him to not do the thumb, but he talks them into doing it as it's important. "Tapout" will work anywhere, so will "knockout." They also don't change the number of injuries, as handwraps don't eliminate fractures, just reduce them. You can break your hand with either wrap, and if there's any difference in them it's the feel. Anything else is a theory/placebo.

To answer your question, guys like Bisping always use the same style, cause of injuries. Other fighters might change from fight to fight depending on injuries.

Finally, your claim of padding reducing power is pure bullshit. You cannot put enough padding on your hands from handwraps to reduce your power noticeably. You claimed Hendricks' handwraps were too thick and robbed him of power, but we've already proven that as bullshit. Then you claimed other fighters have complained of thick handwraps affecting grappling and punching power, so I'm gonna ask you for proof of that? Considering that Stitch wraps like 98% of the fighters' hands, it's difficult to believe, especially when he himself has said no fighter has complained about his handwraps yet (I guess besides Hendricks, which we've proven was an excuse for his lack of performance). With the small gloves the UFC uses, it would be impossible to put so much padding that it interferes with fighting. You gotta keep in mind that an MMA fight can go to the ground at any time, so the "knockout" wraps still work quite well on the ground. Boxers, due to the large gloves, use much more padding and there's still no report of loss of power. In fact, they still get bruises and fractures, even with all the padding. If it caused loss of power, then boxers wouldn't try to cheat by using illegal padding.

Remember, the purpose of the wraps is to protect your bones. The glove padding is what's responsible for the power.

TL;DR: "Knockout" and "tapout" wraps are really the same with one minor change. Your claim of padding reducing power is BS.

TL;DR of the TL;DR: You have no idea what you're talking about.

^

Got GOAT just got thrown out of the closet like the video violence blackbelt he really is.

I haven't caught up on this thread yet, but I'm taking Got GOAT via reach. I heard the other one is a manlet.

So you are backing the queer looking aikido manboy with a pontail and goatee? (that looked like it was drawn on using eyeliner) cool story bro, you see Got GOAT have already been thrown out of SD once and this is his second account, the previous one he sported an avatar of himself on and posted the same kind of mancrush threads about the Glorious Wiking Alexander Gustafsson.

Last edited:
I really feel like people should need a license to use the word "fact" these days. Cute theory TS.

How would you know that, you haven't produced any data proving that they're wrong. But let me guess, yours just happens to be scientific and common sense too? The same thing you questioned with mine. Funny how that works.

The burden of proof lies on you. You are the one making ridiculous claims. If you had no intention of proving the dribble you're spewing, then why post it?

You are an imbecile.

This thread is so pathetic that it was linked to me in a private message from someone.

Think about that for a second. You are so dumb that other people are sending private messages about how funny your thread is.

That's some next level shit...

Why would Jones ever not choose the grappling wraps considering he's an 8-point striker who probably uses his fists less than anything else? The box wraps would also prevent him from extending his fingers as easily, which he uses to control range.

If your claim is that Jones didn't simply plan to do nothing but box with his fists, congratulations, you've really proven something?

"Jones never trained his wrestling" excuse in effect to try and save him some face for what it's worth.

Stopped reading right there.

Never seen anyone try SO hard, w/ walls-of-text and wild speculations, to make their fighter look better than he really is. Better hope the coke, or something else, gets Jones because that's Gus' only hope of sniffing the belt.

229_jon_jones_vs_alexander_gustafsson.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Stopped reading right there.

Never seen anyone try SO hard, w/ walls-of-text and wild speculations, to make their fighter look better than he really is. Better hope the coke, or something else, gets Jones because that's Gus' only hope of sniffing the belt.

229_jon_jones_vs_alexander_gustafsson.0_standard_352.0.jpg

4dcf58e960583a63fc77463c303dd2737a365aec8d8966fcd26450715b1d1d48.jpg

I am quite happy I stayed out of this one.

I thought I remembered hearing that Jones had specifically worked on his Boxing(seriously backfired) for that fight and that his Wrestling training suffered... If he worked on his Wrestling for the whole training camp, the fact that Gus took him down basically twice for the first time in his entire career and that Gus kept it on the feet for the first 4 rounds makes that even more impressive in Gus's case.

I also don't buy that Jones barely trained. I mean, seriously? The guy who watches tape after tape of his opponent and is known to work his ass off in the gym decided he was just going to take a guy lightly this time? Pretty careless and stupid to do so.

MFW TS' "Fact" title is actually an opinion:

Tinfoil-hat.gif

Although it is clear he did you can't give this reason as fact. Although it's an overrated theory that Jones tries to beat their opponent and their own game, he's just well rounded and can fight well everywhere.

hahaha I thought about this too when I watched the video. Didn't think anyone else would pick up on it too, seems you're as overly observant as I:D Let's face it though GG, that was always a lame duck excuse. Nice to hear it vindicated by Jonesy himself though ;)

If I were a Jones fan then this would be a bit disheartening and relatively concerning given that he all but failed to execute his 'Plan A' last time, which almost cost him the fight and consequently his belt.
A Jones fan should be disheartened and concerned over the fact that when the champion's primary plan failed -faced with adversity- that he managed to adjust and win?

Just to understand you correctly, Gus succeeded in producing his ideal style of fight, maximized his favor, still lost...and it's Jones fans who should be disheartened?

That's an "interesting" perspective, if I've ever read one. Credit to Gus, but I'm lost on the logic behind this.

Cool, here is another fact. "Jones barely trained for the Gus fight". Let's be honest many including jones felt he offered nothing to him. He got finished by Phil Davis for gods sake.

Cool, here is another fact. "Jones barely trained for the Gus fight". Let's be honest many including jones felt he offered nothing to him. He got finished by Phil Davis for gods sake.

Did Jones actually confirm this? And is there an unbiased person who can comfirm it too?

I honestly don't buy it. It's not in Jones character to take someone lightly.

IF they end up fighting again I think Jones will try to utilize his clinch game similarly to what he did against Glover.

TS is right, I think it really threw jones off when he couldn't take Gus down--which allowed Gus to take a few close rounds.

When Jones finally decided to fight back in the standup Gus crumbled.

i can't reconcile this fact with the fact that he wore traditional muay thai shorts. while gus wore more traditional grappling shorts. my, this is quite the riddle.

i can't reconcile this fact with the fact that he wore traditional muay thai shorts. while gus wore more traditional grappling shorts. my, this is quite the riddle.

Now I'm just sitting here mad like, "Why didn't I think of that first?"

Literally shit on TS' argument.

Back