Fabricio Werdum: JDS failed in Jiu-Jitsu

In a lower weight class, you turn to your stomach and turtle up like Junior did a couple of times, the day's over, you're going to get flattened out.

Last edited:
So wait.. He uses his BJJ like Shogun and gets shat on? He used it to get back up to his feet and tried some nice sweeps and got some scrambles, and that was his objective. GET BACK UP. With that in mind, I'd say mission accomplished, unfortunately he took too much damage because he got up so slow.

I think it would have been foolish for JDS to work his guard game against Cain, TKO win for Cain for sure. JDS is a legit black belt. He didnt get submitted, got up multiple times from being pinned by a very strong technical wrestler and his TDD was awesome. BJJ is not only about subs but also about positions

the position of getting up on the feet is not a good position the position of just wobbling ur legs to the side and not pulling guard is not good position .. he couldve tried to traingle tried to sweep cain maybe get on top of cain lay on him stil he could get his strenght back or maybetry to ride out a decision .. maybe try a gullitine choke and sweep .. ur wrong bjj is about subs its about subs and position i think u have bjj confused with judo or wrestling

Source

Werdum speaks the truth! Were was JDS black belt level jiu-jitsu??? I knew when he was given his black belt was just a publicity stunt. Just because some fighters have a black belt in BJJ, don't mean they r actually effective with BJJ in a mma fight.

Reminds me of that Chael Sonnen comment about getting a black belt under Nogueira is like getting a toy in ur happy meal

Yep when I heard that JDS got awarded that piece of paper heralding him as a black belt I knew that was just for appearance and hype purposes to make other fighters think he is some sort of threat on the ground...when indeed he is not.

The moment JDS tries to play the ground game against anyone slightly ground savvy then JDS will get subbed. JDS is not battle tested in grappling/wrestling. He is a brawler who throws hands.

Actually most of Cain's takedowns were unsuccessful. Most of the time JDS was on the floor for only a few seconds before standing back up. It was his choice to stand up and he wasn't on his back sufficiently long enough.

Werdum v Cain is a heck of a fight.

werdum couldnt even use his JitZ against the Mr. Santos . He was smelling the ground for some odd reason and the fight was stopped

Actually most of Cain's takedowns were unsuccessful. Most of the time JDS was on the floor for only a few seconds before standing back up. It was his choice to stand up and he wasn't on his back sufficiently long enough.

JDS main problem was his cardio, he slowed down just in the first minutes of round 1 before the big hit.

Also how can he land the big hits, if he is back peddling from Cain from the get go. He should been more aggressive, and not back peddle so much that's why he got caught by the huge over hand right.

how are u guys judging his BJJ when he did not even try to use it? he got up every time he was taken down.

Well, to be fair even JDS said he didn't use his jiu-jitsu and should have, but his coach said to just get up instead of play the BJJ game.

This is true..oh well *shrugs* Hard to judge when he was barely on his back for a second

Werdum made some good points and he was classy in his comments.

He didn't even try, he just tried to open space and push Cain.... he needs to be schooled by Anderson Silva, both standing and on the ground.

M'eh. too much hindsight analysis.

As primarily a striker I think trying to use his bjj to escape and get back up is what he should do first, just as Chuck used his wrestling to get back up.

If instead JDS stay on his back, trying to grab subs and loses ala Nog/Fedor, many would question why he did not focus on getting up and knocking Cain's block off like in the first fight.

I agree. But now that Werdum said this people are going to seriously devalue JDS's black belt. Its possible that maybe he got it early or isnt deserving but its hard for us to tell just based on an MMA fight against an awesome fighter in Cain and that we aren't black belts who shouldn't be judging another.

And besides, Werdum didn't say jds doesn't deserve a black belt, and alot of other factors influenced jds poor performance:

Hurt from Cain's standing punches and gnp
Cain's constant onslaught and takedowns
Focus on standing up NOT fighting with BJJ on the ground
And Cain is an amazing ground fighter himself (brown belt for a while now)

Back