Extreme Far Right Parties in Europe (gaining ground)

Again, Darwinist's point doesn't exactly account for the fact that the National Front won 6% of the French EU Parliament vote in 2009, and then 25% of the vote in 2014 (which was the next EP election). Voter participation rates were the same in both those elections, yet votes for the National Front rose 400% over that five year period. You can easily see this on the Wiki page, and compare to the 2009 election:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:European_Parliament_election,_2014_(France)

What is true is that lower participation means that you are likely to see more extreme parties overall. Lower participation increases the *total* percentage of extreme votes, but it does not explain the *change* or delta between the elections. Total French voter participation was nearly identical in 2009 and 2014.

But then one has to further and ask the question, even in that context -- was voter participation in fact low due to this being an EU parliament election, as Darwinist suggests? 18 million French voters does not strike me as particularly low. How does that participation compare to the most recent French presidential elections?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_presidential_election,_2012

....18 million voters. Virtually identical voter participation. Darwinist's argument may have weight in some contexts, but the French NF's stunning win in the 2014 election can't exactly be wished away by citing low voter participation, because that's not really true and wouldn't explain the change in NF votes even if it was true.

I remain skeptical about extrapolating long-term trends from a short time period here (the NF was floundering in the mid 2000s), but I think it's unreasonable to portray this as somehow business as usual. It's actually a very stunning development in modern European politics. Whether it has legs, we will see.

I think it has legs because Europe, unlike America, is actually divided more along perceived ethnic identity. Furthermore, even though you have the EU, there has also been fracturing of nations in the past 20-30 years within Europe along ethnic lines and there is support for even more splintering.

Hell, the Scots perceive themselves as different than the English. To me, that form of identity politics has been tamped down post WWII but as WWII becomes a distant memory why wouldn't ancient notions of tribe reignite?

Just like the islamisation of Europe is complete BS this is sensalisation over a minor issue.

I think the truly extreme far right is unlikely to ever rise to much power. Nor is the truly extreme far left.

What is perhaps more significant is the overall increase in political factionalism and the decreasing power of centrist parties. It's not just the far right that's been rising. It's also the far left. This growing balkanization and intensification of political conflict, as an expression of populist discontent, is probably much more the fundamental issue than any shift to the right or left.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/world/europe/established-parties-rocked-by-anti-europe-vote.html

Also, I think distrust of democratic politics in general -- seen as fundamentally corrupted by capitalist interests -- has increased markedly, and this plays a role in the rise of extremist parties even within democratic politics. I would be interested to see what kind of metrics there are on the EU public's feelings about the efficacy of democratic politics relative to international forces/interests. I suspect pessimism is ever-increasing.

Is it due to the crisis of 2008? Any Europeans support these groups or are familiar with them? Are their claims justified?

Economic crisis in general show the failure involved with capitalism. I guess you can say that during economic "recessions" people become more extreme and look for scapegoats, but the system is set up to fail. Most of these parties are white supremacists and nationalists. Their claims are not justified, they thrive on islamaphobia, antisemitism, and racism against blacks.

I think the truly extreme far right is unlikely to ever rise to much power. Nor is the truly extreme far left.

What is perhaps more significant is the overall increase in political factionalism and the decreasing power of centrist parties. It's not just the far right that's been rising. It's also the far left. This growing balkanization and intensification of political conflict, as an expression of populist discontent, is probably much more the fundamental issue than any shift to the right or left.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/world/europe/established-parties-rocked-by-anti-europe-vote.html

Also, I think distrust of democratic politics in general -- seen as fundamentally corrupted by capitalist interests -- has increased markedly, and this plays a role in the rise of extremist parties even within democratic politics. I would be interested to see what kind of metrics there are on the EU public's feelings about the efficacy of democratic politics relative to international forces/interests. I suspect pessimism is ever-increasing.

Yes it is certainly a reaction against the EU. When the only way to show your discontent against what is percieved to be a inefficient, bureaucratic monster is through the far right these parties are going to grow. But the EU vote is generally considered a joke vote so I don't see them gaining as much ground in national elections.

But to put it in perspective the stances of these far right parties pales in comparison to the republicans in the US for example. The political climate have been unusually calm the latest decade also. I don't see it as a stance against the democratic system in general. I mean most of the left today are way more willing to work within the system, third wave and all.

sweden doesn't want to become like france, germany, and the rest of europe with the influence of islam. it seems that scandinavia doesn't have a problem with immigration itself. after all, they willingly allowed folks from the middle-east to move into their countries not long ago. it's the fact that they don't assimilate that is the problem. and i can't blame the native scandinavians.

don't move to a new country if you don't plan on becoming a part of it.

The "far right" groups, including the results of the EU elections, are symptoms of a greater tectonic shift ailing "the West." For over 50 years now (since the ushering in of the "Cold War"), the American Empire, along with its EU vassal states, have tried to create a "Western" ethos (whatever that means, most likely neoliberalism).

As the greatest geopolitical shift of the 21st century unfolds - as wealth and jobs move from West to East - you will see greater and greater poverty in the so-called "West." Already we see countries like Greece, Ireland and Spain suffer under the austerity shock therapy, with brain drain and emigration of the lost generations there. I suspect many locals feel that their local concerns cannot be addressed by centralized authority in Brussels. Even if most people do not necessarily agree with all of the views expressed by "far right" groups, they may be more inclined to listen to these groups which provide for an alternative model than the vague pan-European image that has been promoted for over 50 years.

Moreover, civilization and culture is largely a reflection of the people that inhabit and make-up that society. Over the last 50 years, because of the consumerist fetishism that has pervaded the American Empire and its peripheral states, you've had stunted population growths and demographic problems. Immigration has been used to mask these issues, including labor shortages. As these countries go into deeper economic stagnation, most of the immigrants will be seen as scapegoats, especially the Muslims. No one wants "their jobs" to be taken by "the other."

I suspect what we will see increasingly are more of these nationalist type movements that put emphasis on the "natives" at the expense of immigrants and imperial-style politics of the EU. "Western civilization" will never occupy the primacy it had for the last 500 years because it will spend the next century trying to reconfigure and repackage its image and find its identity again. I suspect we will see more and more internal conflicts in the European nations (labor and austerity protests/riots, natives vs. immigrant riots, etc.). Sapped of its creative cultural prowess, mired in economic and demographic malaise, slaves to finance oligarchy, and an enervated youth with no jobs, it will largely serve as a "museum stop" for tourists from the growing wealthy in East Asia, as about the only thing it has left to offer are its past ruins.

The 21st century will not be the European or American century, but the Chinese century.

The reason why The danish people's party is getting more votes is because they are getting more moderate. Not because more people are shifting to the far right.

It's true that the party was funded by racist lunatics in the 90's. But they have changed their tone a lot since then, especially these last 10 years. Just compare their cheesy campaign video from 2007 and 2012 respectively:
[YT]?v=jBSoMiG94Es[/YT]
Go to 1:40 for scaremongering.

[YT]?v=sGAH1wGNqJM[/YT]
Look at this video with immigrants in it and everything, at 1:42 they even start inviting immigrants from third world countries. It obviously ends with some "respect our culture" bla bla. But it's still a lot more moderate than what they used to be.

Also, the lead candidate from the party for the EU election said this: "It's sad that parties like "Le Pens Front National" and Golden Dawn are coming out ahead. But the reason they do that is because the established parties are failing the europeans. There is no alternative if you want the EU to head in another direction"
So they are not in the same boat as those other right wing parties.

As to why right wing parties are gaining power in some countries, I think the above quote applies there as well. The established moderate parties have failed in countries like Greece, and the population who are blaming everybody but themselves, has gotten desperate.
The most interesting to me is the rise of Le Pens Front National, because that is actually quite an extreme party.
I guess it could be because it's France only go to party if you feel like your culture is under attack (which a lot of Europeans think that their culture is, specifically from Islam), while at least in Denmark, pretty much every party except for 2 has protecting original danish culture (whatever that means) on their to do list.

sweden doesn't want to become like france, germany, and the rest of europe with the influence of islam. it seems that scandinavia doesn't have a problem with immigration itself. after all, they willingly allowed folks from the middle-east to move into their countries not long ago. it's the fact that they don't assimilate that is the problem. and i can't blame the native scandinavians.

don't move to a new country if you don't plan on becoming a part of it.

Lol what? Sweden has one of the most open immigration policies in Europe, they were the first to offer asylum to Syrians and said they would accept as many as needed.

Lol what? Sweden has one of the most open immigration policies in Europe, they were the first to offer asylum to Syrians and said they would accept as many as needed.

Sweden is twice the size of England with barely 9 million people. More than half the country is empty

Sweden is twice the size of England with barely 9 million people. More than half the country is empty

Greenland is pretty sparsely populated also. It doesn't work like that buddy.

did you miss this part?

"after all, they willingly allowed folks from the middle-east to move into their countries not long ago."

we're not in disagreement.

While most European parties moves towards more liberalism, some choose to stand still ideologically - thus falling out of the mainstream. That's pretty much it. A growing number of people who'd be considered perfectly normal 20 years ago are now branded as extremists.

There are a few truly extreme parties with considerable support, but due to the slim pickings as far as alternative parties goes, most of their supporters are probably a lot more moderate.

News flash: far-right political parties and their xenophobic, nationalist, neo-Nazi candidates in Europe have been "gaining ground" for years. But nobody gives a shit, by and large.

The global media is too busy pissing and moaning about American politics. And Americans-- who seem to think "Like"-ing and "Share"-ing dopey political mantra on Facebook counts as being informed-- barely pay even *that* much attention.

Maybe if European lefties started openening up websites devoted to posting mopey pictures of themselves apologizing for who *they* elect...

Election night in Sweden, September 14 2014.

Right Wing/Conservative/Nationalist/Racist/White Trash party Sweden Democrats reaches 13 percent in preliminary count, more than doubling last year's result.

Sha la la la la!

I know some guys from Golden Dawn who live in the US, absolutely great guys.

They don't think they will ever be a mainstream ruling political party, it's most just about living the right way and doing the right thing and refusing to participate in globalism.

Unfortunately that same act of protest is, as seen here, used by the media for scare mongering (right wing extremists TAKING OVER!!).

I know some guys from Golden Dawn who live in the US, absolutely great guys.

They don't think they will ever be a mainstream ruling political party, it's most just about living the right way and doing the right thing and refusing to participate in globalism.

Unfortunately that same act of protest is, as seen here, used by the media for scare mongering (right wing extremists TAKING OVER!!).

The right thing is living off the Germans and then being pissed at Turks because they cant run a country properly?

Golden Dawn is a cuddly toy compared to Islamic State, let's keep it in perspective.

Back