Ever served on a jury?

Saw a guy in Florida get in an argument with the judge as they were asking us questions.

"This guys guilty as hell, just look at him!" (with a very deep southern accent)
"Judge: Sir I'll ask you to watch your language, and so you know this man is innocent until proven guilty"
"Not to me"
"Judge: Would you rather live in a country where you are guilty until proven innocent?"

(this is a burglary case)

"Hell yes, you see anyone stealing crap in the Saudi Arabia?"

To this I busted out laughing. In the middle of my laughter he kicked to guy out of the court room, and then I realized I was the only one chuckling. "Would you like to be excused to sir!?" I just couldn't stop chuckling, one of those moments where I had the giggles, and he kicked me out too. Not my finest hour.
Lol. You would think even if the most uneducated rednecks knew one thing about court, it would be give the judge far more respect than any man deserves

I've been on 2 criminal juries. Last one was last summer. I was selected the foreman....and then singlehandedly hung the jury. I was surrounded by idiots.

One lady actually said the $15 a day was worth it and she didn't mind that we were stuck in pointless deliberation.

It actually ended 10-2, but for a while was 11-1.

Something like this happened to me last summer as well. I was serving on a personal injury case, in which a man was being sued for a million dollars. It was over a fender bender that happened at 10 miles per hour. The woman claimed to have debilitating MTBI, and that because of this, she could only take two to three college classes at a time, and could not go to medical school.

Here's the kicker. Her lawyer actually provided us with the transcripts which showed that she was taking between 12 and 13 credit hours at a time, and had a gpa of 3.5

I was surrounded by morons who's biggest concern was if the guy, or the guys company was going to pay the money. They were actually willing to give her a million dollars if they knew. I had to take control of the stupidity, and we ended up settling on giving her the cost to repair the car, and the cost of the emergency room visit. Definitely opened my mind to how easy it is to win a frivolous lawsuit. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Expert witnesses. Should be called expert liars since they just cover up their lies with the prefix "in my opinion".

I've been contacted to be an expert witness but if fell through....I'm not sure how I feel about the idea. Is it left unsaid that you'll just say whatever you're paid tp say?

I got selected for a sexual assault jury on my very first year of eligibility about 20 years ago. Holee, time sure flies. I remember getting paid $75.00/day but it was a little less than from what I was making at the time and waited 8-10 weeks for the check to arrive. I've been making excuses to avoid one ever since.

No, I have tried a few times. I did not get picked. Now, I am mostly ushered out quickly when they learn I am a police officer-unless it is for a civil trial. But I would make a bad juror in those cases.

I have testified a shit ton, though. The first time I did so in Federal court, I was intimidated because of the size of the courtroom and how grand it was with wood carvings and paintings.

No, I usually don't respond to them. But you can bet your ass if I were on the jury in a pimpy civil suit trial I will side with the defendant just to stick it to lowlifes who try to rip people off.

I was on a jury for 6 days. It was both interesting and boring. I felt bad for the defendant because it was a vehicular homicide. He was driving his motorcycle when he hit an old lady crossing the street. He was convicted of the lesser crime but convicted none the less due to him having a few beers before heading out on his ride. Seemed like a good enough guy and it was hard to find him guilty.

I have not, but I have always wanted to serve on a long complicated case

Just tell them your a Jehovah's Witness. They'll excuse you right away.

Twice. Once was a court martial panel

I plan on becoming a US citizen in the next 3 years. I hear from other converts that they were nearly immediately summoned for jury duty after receiving their passport.

I've always wanted to serve on a jury, so naturally, I'll likely never be called.

I was on a criminal trial for 14 counts of lewd act/rape of a achild....

If I am called, I hope it's not for something like this.

No but thread makes me want to watch this

giphy.gif
[/IMG]

i actually got kicked outta my home and checked my jury duty letter and it said that if i get chosen, i get a free place to stay .... so i got chosen for this murder trial and i made a deal with the hotel that if i advertise the hotel, i could get a better room .. needless to say, once i got the room i didn't want to leave ..... the entire jury was convinced the defendant was the killer ... me wanting to have a place to stay longer, i kept throwing a wrench into things to prolong the deliberations ... as i did this tho, it became more apparent that the defendant wasn't the killer ... the judge ended up calling a mistrial and i lost the room ... went back to my trailer park and realized that through the evidence, i figured out who the actual killer was and me and this girl i met on jury duty got him to confess to the killing and framing ... the case was solved and i got a decent size cheque for figuring stuff out ... then i got myself on the show jeopardy .. i've always wanted to be on that show .. buuuuddddyy!

i actually got kicked outta my home and checked my jury duty letter and it said that if i get chosen, i get a free place to stay .... so i got chosen for this murder trial and i made a deal with the hotel that if i advertise the hotel, i could get a better room .. needless to say, once i got the room i didn't want to leave ..... the entire jury was convinced the defendant was the killer ... me wanting to have a place to stay longer, i kept throwing a wrench into things to prolong the deliberations ... as i did this tho, it became more apparent that the defendant wasn't the killer ... the judge ended up calling a mistrial and i lost the room ... went back to my trailer park and realized that through the evidence, i figured out who the actual killer was and me and this girl i met on jury duty got him to confess to the killing and framing ... the case was solved and i got a decent size cheque for figuring stuff out ... then i got myself on the show jeopardy .. i've always wanted to be on that show .. buuuuddddyy!

nice story bro.

I did probably 3 years before I was a cop. It was an assault case and resisting arrest case. Defendant had a total guido looking lawyer who sucked at his job. Defendant came across looking like shit during the trial but still barely was found not guilty. After the fact when you can talk to the attorneys we find out the kid was an Airforce vet and Cal Fire wildfire firefighter.

Probably shit his attorney should have brought up during the trial to make his client more sympathetic and likeable.

Now I'm on the opposite side, having to write quality reports and testify for the yahoos who get stuck on jury trial. There were so many idiots on my jury group it wasn't even funny.

Bite marks on her buttocks and ankle were positive via dental assessment.

Semen left in her body were not a match

The knife that was used was never recovered yet his in his home cops found 19 different types of knifes for hunting or military grade

He had no alibi yet the truck marks outside of the crime couldn't be verified

So how did they get around the fact that the semen wasn't his?

Yup. A 4 day trial, where the accused, who was in prison, was facing drug charges.

It was a shit show all around. I caved and voted for not guilty, even though I believe the dude clearly was guilty. BTW, he was serving like a several year sentence for being ..... you guessed it a drug dealer, a fact we did not know at the time!

I thankfully avoided a child abuse jury the day before I was selected for the drug case.

I'm a trial paralegal, I will never get picked unless the attorneys from both sides are complete morons.

BTW: Trade Secret - if you ever get picked for a jury, it's because the attorneys on both sides think you can be easily swayed to their position and favor their side. That's why most jurors (civil ones, at least) are either non-college grads working blue-collar jobs, housewives, and/or retired old farts - I almost never see a professional, educated person (especially if he's a white guy) get picked from a panel to sit on a jury.

Back