Ever served on a jury?

RexChapmanFan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Just served for 9 days on a civil trial jury and it was quite interesting. Things that surprised me in ways I didn't expect:

1. Doctors will often simply give an opinion on a matter in favor of the party (plaintiff or defendant) who is paying them, regardless of truth. Actually seems a common practice.

2. Judges can be quite incompetent and irresponsible (literally falling asleep during proceedings).

3. The jury is not well informed on the true statement of the law they are trying to uphold. In my case, the judge read us the relevant law in effect and actually wrongly included large chunks he should not.have. Confusing.

4. Jury deliberation would seem wildly difficult in a criminal trial with 12 jury members. How do you get 12 people.to agree on issues that could result in jail time and /or death.
A civil trial with 6 jurors in a civil case is tough enough.

I got served a jury duty notice about 6 years ago in Arizona. I didn't respond to that shit at all. I wanted nothing to do with it and they never bothered me about it.

Just served for 9 days on a civil trial jury and it was quite interesting. Things that surprised me in ways I didn't expect:

1. Doctors will often simply give an opinion on a matter in favor of the party (plaintiff or defendant) who is paying them, regardless of truth. Actually seems a common practice.

Expert witnesses. Should be called expert liars since they just cover up their lies with the prefix "in my opinion".

I've been on several juries. Expert witnesses, like consultants, say what whoever is paying them wants them to say.

Oh yeah, about 5 times actually. We did our job, conviction every time.

J/k by the way.

I'm a lawyer and have not sat on a jury but participated in jury trials.

I'm wondering how you can make generalizations about expert witnesses, the competence of judges and the helpfulness of the charge to the jury if the sum total of your experience is ONE jury trial?

I talk my way out of it. I'm not doing that shit.

I'm wondering how you can make generalizations about expert witnesses, the competence of judges and the helpfulness of the charge to the jury if the sum total of your experience is ONE jury trial?

Listen man. I've watched a LOT of Law and Order. I think I know how court works.

I've been summoned but I'm not allowed to serve as a juror

I served on a Jury for a murder case, an African-American Vietnam war vet was accused of raping and murdering a female hitch hiker (23), seeing the photographic evidence displayed in such a formal and outstanding presentation was shocking to say the least.

The victims family was quiet throughout, though Would have expected them to be screaming and shouting.

What happened to the girl was indeed terrifying yet a great many things seemed 'off'.

The man was sentenced to 16 years, he cried and protested his innocence through the entire trial, very hard to watch.
What was the evidence/s that connected him to the crime?

I've been on 2 criminal juries. Last one was last summer. I was selected the foreman....and then singlehandedly hung the jury. I was surrounded by idiots.

One lady actually said the $15 a day was worth it and she didn't mind that we were stuck in pointless deliberation.

It actually ended 10-2, but for a while was 11-1.

I served on a Jury for a murder case, an African-American Vietnam war vet was accused of raping and murdering a female hitch hiker (23), seeing the photographic evidence displayed in such a formal and outstanding presentation was shocking to say the least.

The victims family was quiet throughout, though Would have expected them to be screaming and shouting.

What happened to the girl was indeed terrifying yet a great many things seemed 'off'.

The man was sentenced to 16 years, he cried and protested his innocence through the entire trial, very hard to watch.

I was on a criminal trial for 14 counts of lewd act/rape of a achild....

I've been summoned but I'm not allowed to serve as a juror

As a hint to those wanting to get out of jury duty, claim some knowledge of what experts might be testifying to. Lawyers don't want anyone on a jury that could discredit their experts.

have you forgotten where you are? This is sherdog, everyone is an expert at everything.

As a hint to those wanting to get out of jury duty, claim some knowledge of what experts might be testifying to. Lawyers don't want anyone on a jury that could discredit their experts.

Ive never had to face that problem. I'm a cop and officers of the court arent allowed to serve on a jury.

But I'd imagine just showing up with a Grisham novel would suffice the majority of the time lol

Ive never had to face that problem. I'm a cop and officers of the court arent allowed to serve on a jury.

But I'd imagine just showing up with a Grisham novel would suffice the majority of the time lol

Saw a guy in Florida get in an argument with the judge as they were asking us questions.

"This guys guilty as hell, just look at him!" (with a very deep southern accent)
"Judge: Sir I'll ask you to watch your language, and so you know this man is innocent until proven guilty"
"Not to me"
"Judge: Would you rather live in a country where you are guilty until proven innocent?"

(this is a burglary case)

"Hell yes, you see anyone stealing crap in the Saudi Arabia?"

To this I busted out laughing. In the middle of my laughter he kicked to guy out of the court room, and then I realized I was the only one chuckling. "Would you like to be excused to sir!?" I just couldn't stop chuckling, one of those moments where I had the giggles, and he kicked me out too. Not my finest hour.

Back