ESPN: GSP-Condit is Fight of the year

What the chicken leg is wrong with ESPN!

Korean Zombie vs Dustin Poirier is easily FOTY

Followed by Lauzon vs Varner and Shogun vs Vera.

Korean Zombie vs Dustin Poirier is easily FOTY

i agreed with FOTY being GSP/Condit because i liked it, but you are right that KZ/Poirier could easily take that spot, but just because GSP is more famous he took the spot on ESPN i guess

Zombie vs poirier was fight of the year , just re watched it a few nights ago and that fight is amaizing

I don't get it. With the exception of the Condit headkick, that match was pretty one-sided. When I think of FOTY I think of a back and forth war with high level striking and grappling technique.

The man won FOTN 2 out of his last 3. The most recent coming off being away from the sport for 19 months.

ESPN knows to reward the performance they saw from a superstar like they saw from Georges.

People forget exactly what it means to come back after 19 months, and what it takes to come back to the highest level 11 months after potentially career ending ACL surgery.

The fact that he did it against someone who won 4 title fights in the WEC, including 3 defenses, is even more impressive. Carlos was also the lineal Strikefarce champ having defeated Nick Diaz to get to the fight. To say nothing of the fact that the man has stopped 26 professional MMA Prizefighters and was riding a 5 fight win streak in the UFC.

When you climb mountains like that, you get rewarded.

All those other fighters everyone mentioned...no one will remember their names.

The man won FOTN 2 out of his last 3. The most recent coming off being away from the sport for 19 months.

ESPN knows to reward the performance they saw from a superstar like they saw from Georges.

People forget exactly what it means to come back after 19 months, and what it takes to come back to the highest level 11 months after potentially career ending ACL surgery.

The fact that he did it against someone who won 4 title fights in the WEC, including 3 defenses, is even more impressive. Carlos was also the lineal Strikefarce champ having defeated Nick Diaz to get to the fight. To say nothing of the fact that the man has stopped 26 professional MMA Prizefighters and was riding a 5 fight win streak in the UFC.

When you climb mountains like that, you get rewarded.

Hahah, Tony is awesome.

no its not a popularity contest, but I am sure relevance and significance play a factor as well. When people are more invested in something, aka a gsp fight, especially when he is returning after a long lay-off they care more about it and when it delivers, as it did, it means that much more. I know I was watching that fight with like 15 other people and we were all losing our shit, its the same reason in hockey, the biggest moments typically happen in the nhl, because not saying some small league in europe doesn't have amazing or exciting games, but if the eyes aren't watching and people aren't invested, emotions aren't raised in the same way and it doesn't mean as much. Context is huge. I also was watching Varner-Lauzon with a bunch of people and we all loved that fight as well, but didn't care as much about either fighter so it probably wasn't as good overall.

LOL at people on this board who chirp the choice when even if it isn't number 1, it is a solid top 5, or at worst top 10 foty on most people's lists.

You make a very good point, I agree with most of it, but I still believe there are other fights (that are even in the UFC) that are better candidates. GSP v Condit is definitely top 5 IMO, but I still think KZ v Poirer was better. I believe that because even though GSP v Condit was exciting, it still was a one sided fight. KZ v Dustin was a back and forth war, which also ended in a finish.

It was an amazing fight
As a GSP fan, I can honestly say that it wasn't the most exciting fight of the year, but definitely up there

GSP/Condit is easily as worthy of FOTY as anything. GSP's performance off an 18 month lay off and potential career ending injury, was hands down, the mixed martial arts performance of the year. Just based on GSP's mixed martial arts performance of the year, that alone should more than qualify the fight for FOTY, as GSP, the PPV King, continues to reign supreme.

they gave champion in waiting to Erik Silva for some reason, even after he was dominated by Fitch and Rory dominated BJ

didnt georges just dive for carlos' legs for the last 2 1/2 rounds and basically do nothing for the rest of the fight after he almost got crocop'd? Am i missing something here?

didnt georges just dive for carlos' legs for the last 2 1/2 rounds and basically do nothing for the rest of the fight after he almost got crocop'd? Am i missing something here?

Yes, the other half of your brain.

not even top 10. condit is the only one that made it half interesting

Most definitely.

Hmm. I'd probably say Fitch/Silva is my FOTY...Either that or Edgar/Henderson 1

interesting choice... although, it is probably the best five-rounder...

Back