ESPN: GSP-Condit is Fight of the year

Apparently they missed Chandler/Alvarez over there at ESPN.

Then again if it didn't happen in teh UFC it didn't happen, right?

that happened last year. Same exact night as Hendo vs Shogun

It was an ok fight, i guess it's enough to buy some hype to GSP.

Its ESPN they have to consider their audience not many people who watch espn follow the UFC as closely as we do

They chose the most popular fighter with the best fight. People who don't follow ufc know gsp, they don't know Joe lauzon or KZ

It was arguably the best title fight (along with Bendo vs. Edgar I and II [especially I]), but the best fight of the year in most people's opinion (including mine) was KZ vs. Poirier.

^^^^ That's the other top FOTY nominee (along with KZ/Poirier).

All the other FOTY nominees don't come close to those two.

Its ESPN they have to consider their audience not many people who watch espn follow the UFC as closely as we do

They chose the most popular fighter with the best fight. People who don't follow ufc know gsp, they don't know Joe lauzon or KZ

That doesn't mean anything, to be honest. So if all of the best fights were in MFC, they'd pick an exciting, but nowhere near best of the year fight, because more people would recognize the name? MMA doesn't mean UFC.

This is nothing against you, but Fight of the Year is not a popularity contest.

I am a huge GSP fan but while I think that fight was top 5, not #1.

My Top 5 are :
Lauzon vs. Varner
Jung Vs. Poirier
GSP Vs. Condit
Ellenberger Vs. Sanchez
Jon Fitch vs. Erick Silva

KZ vs. Poirier was my #1, but I can easily see why they'd pick GSP vs. Condit (most exciting GSP fight in years).

Lauzon vs. Varner was also awesome.

Honestly, they wouldn't be too far off by picking any of the three.

That doesn't mean anything, to be honest. So if all of the best fights were in MFC, they'd pick an exciting, but nowhere near best of the year fight, because more people would recognize the name? MMA doesn't mean UFC.

no its not a popularity contest, but I am sure relevance and significance play a factor as well. When people are more invested in something, aka a gsp fight, especially when he is returning after a long lay-off they care more about it and when it delivers, as it did, it means that much more. I know I was watching that fight with like 15 other people and we were all losing our shit, its the same reason in hockey, the biggest moments typically happen in the nhl, because not saying some small league in europe doesn't have amazing or exciting games, but if the eyes aren't watching and people aren't invested, emotions aren't raised in the same way and it doesn't mean as much. Context is huge. I also was watching Varner-Lauzon with a bunch of people and we all loved that fight as well, but didn't care as much about either fighter so it probably wasn't as good overall.

LOL at people on this board who chirp the choice when even if it isn't number 1, it is a solid top 5, or at worst top 10 foty on most people's lists.

I think a lot of you are missing the whole point of "Fight of the Year". Most of you seem to translate that as "Most exciting fight of the year", which is entirely different. GSP/Condit was fight of the year because it was an entertaining fight that actually mattered. With all due respect to Lauzon/Varner, it's hard to call it the Fight of the Year because the fight simply didn't matter and featured one fighter only hardcore fans know. Was GSP/Condit the most exciting fight of the year? No. Was it the most important, entertaining fight of the year? Absolutely.

Significance of the fight was probably a determining factor, so I think it was an acceptable choice.

I'm sure there was a couple of other better fights.

I'm thinking fight/fighter profile plays a factor in their decision (higher the profile fight/fighter the better).

Yeah I would think so as well. It was a big fight regardless of performances with GSP coming off injury and Condit being a legitimate contender so there was a lot on the line.

Add that to the great performances put on by both guys for the entire 5 rounds (no gassing!), and you get the total package.

I thought it was a really good fight and I'm not that big of a GSP fan.

I'm saying for the sake of ratings a more popular fighter is likely to be mentioned when it comes to espn. The gsp condit was great and had a big name fighter that an average sports fan might know about. This fight didn't just win because gsp was involved, but he has that big name that will keep an average person watching their show

Back