Elderly Gentlemen With Military Hats, Pins, Etc.

i don't know, but they should be.

According to glenn, for sure. Also every middle eastern combatant or "terrorist" should be as well, since they're men and men should be proud and honored to go into battle.

Dang!

Where were you guys before either the Korean War (M*A*S*H) or the Vietnam War (Platoon) started?

Think of all the lives you could have saved.

You're pretty much right TS, but don't expect a lot of people to get that on this forum.

Although Korea is a little different. Look at what North Korea became, compared to South Korea. South Korea is actually a perennial G-20 nation, it's economic and cultural influence is extremely positive in Asia. It is a high-functioning democracy with a solid tech sector and generally positive\peaceful model for its neighbor's to aspire too.

Nothing wrong with going to war to prevent all of Korea from becoming what North Korea became, imo.

Vietnam on the other hand was the worst war crime of the post war era, (according to Geneva definition of War Crimes or War of Agression). Millions of Vietnamese simply murdered by American bombs and chemical weapons; a whole country destroyed based on the falsified Gulf of Tonkin incident, not to mention massive numbers of young middle class and working class Americans killed, maimed and traumatized...

Iraq is the same sort of thing. An imperial war that's done nothing but destabilize a region and destroy people's lives. It was good to kill Saddam but the price was far, far too high, for everyone involved, especially Iraqi's.

Afghanistan is a special case, it was certainly a war crime to invade the way the U.S did, and Bin Laden was in Pakistan - but the U.N did eventually "ratify" the invasion, in a manner of speaking.

You're right veterans should be more pissed off.

Egon, the vet didn't start the war.

What the hell did Korea, Vietnam, or even Iraq/Afghanstan do for this country except waste precious lives and money? Why are service members not angry as hell about how the politicians conned them and risked their lives over nothing? Why isn't anyone correcting such a flawed system of blind subservience, which just enables a furtherance of the abuse-of-power cycle of military decisions and leadership?

Proud to have been a government pawn? It makes no goddamn sense.

Uhhhh, massive state propaganda and deep, deep indoctrination?

The entire premise of US empire is based on the notion that we're the good guys fighting the bad guys. So obviously the ones doing the literal fighting (soldiers) have to be made to feel special.

Them realizing they're committing acts of aggression and all for the benefit of a few elites would seriously throw a wrench in the operation.

I work at a senior community community and there are guys in their 80's and 90'2 who will wear hats, pins, etc. and also find some way to bring up their military service a few times a week, despite it having happened well over 50 years ago.

Logically speaking why would anyone be proud of what Vietnam was.

I would be pissed if I was sent there. Bullshit war thst amounted to nothing. So many dead for nothing.

1. It wasn't a bullshit war. Sadly, a hard earned military victory was pissed away due to political fecklessness.

2. The men and women who died didn't die for nothing, they died fighting against the spread of the most murderous totalitarian ideology of the 20th century.

My grandfather was a Seabee and if he has a hat on, its a SeaBee hat.
He put in landing strips in the Pacific Theater. He also drove a bulldozer when he got out The next time you see an old man, who is looks tough as nails, with navy anchor tattoos on his forearms and wearing a Seabee hat, you should thank him, because he put his life on the line so you can be a douche bag on the internet.
You are lucky you are not speaking Japanese you ungrateful Fuck.

Egon, the vet didn't start the war.

You're right, of course, we should never blame Veterans for the decisions of the people who conned them. But those veterans who are angry at their leaders are justified in being angry imo. If you're not angry that's nbd to me, but I'm not sure how proud you should be of serving in 'nam and the like

You're pretty much right TS, but don't expect a lot of people to get that on this forum.

Although Korea is a little different. Look at what North Korea became, compared to South Korea. South Korea is actually a perennial G-20 nation, it's economic and cultural influence is extremely positive in Asia. It is a high-functioning democracy with a solid tech sector and generally positive\peaceful model for its neighbor's to aspire too.

Nothing wrong with going to war to prevent all of Korea from becoming what North Korea became, imo.

Vietnam on the other hand was the worst war crime of the post war era, (according to Geneva definition of War Crimes or War of Agression). Millions of Vietnamese simply murdered by American bombs and chemical weapons; a whole country destroyed based on the falsified Gulf of Tonkin incident, not to mention massive numbers of young middle class and working class Americans killed, maimed and traumatized...

Iraq is the same sort of thing. An imperial war that's done nothing but destabilize a region and destroy people's lives. It was good to kill Saddam but the price was far, far too high, for everyone involved, especially Iraqi's.

Afghanistan is a special case, it was certainly a war crime to invade the way the U.S did, and Bin Laden was in Pakistan - but the U.N did eventually "ratify" the invasion, in a manner of speaking.

You're right veterans should be more pissed off.

Korea's peaceful strategy was letting 28.5k US boots run their country for forty+ years. see: post-ww2 Japan, West Germany. You have every advantage being a US neo-colony because we're the richest nation ever and we're glad to remake you in our image. Why wouldn't Cuba, Iraq, N. Korea, Vietnam let us remake them in our image?

Well it's hard for him to be proud of his "service" when it amounts to only a few days in Army boot camp at Fort Jackson before trying to hang himself (his admission).

Leonard Wood. And I was suicidal because I was conned by being idealistic and thinking that military service was an admirable path. I figured the U.S had evolved since Vietnam and the military was a volunteer force. When I arrived and saw that it was a bunch of sociopaths in charge and a lot of brainwashing, I would have rather been dead than blindly obey.

You would've rather died than go through 9 weeks of Army boot camp?

At first I hated TS, but now I just pity him. The guy has some serious mental health issues that obviously occupy a great deal of his time and thoughts. Get better angry Mike.

Dude, you could have given him a free upgrade to the large fries.

At first I hated TS, but now I just pity him. The guy has some serious mental health issues that obviously occupy a great deal of his time and thoughts. Get better angry Mike.

I think I give off the impression that obsessively hating the military ruins my moods everyday and consumes my life. It can happen that way sometimes, but I actually feel good about my hatred a great deal of the time too. I feel like I'm one of the few not brainwashed into believing the military deserves respect. Also, I feel I'm over qualified to have ever been in the military(4.00 GPA student) and don't believe another human being should be legally obligated to follow another. I'm glad as fuck I'm not in the military(too nice).

However, I am logically stumped by why the military isn't hated or questioned at all, so I about stuff like the thread topic often.

They thought they were doing the right thing at the time serving there country when they were actually serving madmen lusting for power. It's alright time and education will heal there mental wounds. They have been taught incorrectly so don't hate them pity them.

Lately, I have noticed a fair deal of senior citizens wearing some tribute to their military service, whether it be a specific branch or some article of clothing that refers to a war that they were in(Korea/Vietnam). I actually had some guy ask me if I'd give him a discount for serving in Vietnam. I wanted to tell him off, but I just turned him down professionally.

I'm honestly astounded by this. I liken referring to military service in a positive fashion to being taken by a master con man, but telling everybody proudly of all the money and time you lost.

What the hell did Korea, Vietnam, or even Iraq/Afghanstan do for this country except waste precious lives and money? Why are service members not angry as hell about how the politicians conned them and risked their lives over nothing? Why isn't anyone correcting such a flawed system of blind subservience, which just enables a furtherance of the abuse-of-power cycle of military decisions and leadership?

I think youre a ****. My opinion

Yeah it was the c word. You have no respect

Lately, I have noticed a fair deal of senior citizens wearing some tribute to their military service, whether it be a specific branch or some article of clothing that refers to a war that they were in(Korea/Vietnam). I actually had some guy ask me if I'd give him a discount for serving in Vietnam. I wanted to tell him off, but I just turned him down professionally.

I'm honestly astounded by this. I liken referring to military service in a positive fashion to being taken by a master con man, but telling everybody proudly of all the money and time you lost.

That poor old man was asking for free French fries. You don't have to be an asshole about it

Back