Elderly Gentlemen With Military Hats, Pins, Etc.

Mike Armyquitte

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lately, I have noticed a fair deal of senior citizens wearing some tribute to their military service, whether it be a specific branch or some article of clothing that refers to a war that they were in(Korea/Vietnam). I actually had some guy ask me if I'd give him a discount for serving in Vietnam. I wanted to tell him off, but I just turned him down professionally.

I'm honestly astounded by this. I liken referring to military service in a positive fashion to being taken by a master con man, but telling everybody proudly of all the money and time you lost.

What the hell did Korea, Vietnam, or even Iraq/Afghanstan do for this country except waste precious lives and money? Why are service members not angry as hell about how the politicians conned them and risked their lives over nothing? Why isn't anyone correcting such a flawed system of blind subservience, which just enables a furtherance of the abuse-of-power cycle of military decisions and leadership?

Proud to have been a government pawn? It makes no goddamn sense.

Bumping since Mike fits fhe profile of the CC shooter

Couldn't you have just tacked this onto your last "I hated the military and, therefore, can't understand why everyone else does not" thread?

You should have your views put on a large poster and hang it in and in front of your place of business, post on your web site too, social media the whole 9 yards.

I doubt he knows how to use a firearm.

That's because they, unlike you, are proud of their service.

Mike moved to Canada after getting out

Lately, I have noticed a fair deal of senior citizens wearing some tribute to their military service, whether it be a specific branch or some article of clothing that refers to a war that they were in(Korea/Vietnam). I actually had some guy ask me if I'd give him a discount for serving in Vietnam. I wanted to tell him off, but I just turned him down professionally.

I'm honestly astounded by this. I liken referring to military service in a positive fashion to being taken by a master con man, but telling everybody proudly of all the money and time you lost.

What the hell did Korea, Vietnam, or even Iraq/Afghanstan do for this country except waste precious lives and money? Why are service members not angry as hell about how the politicians conned them and risked their lives over nothing? Why isn't anyone correcting such a flawed system of blind subservience, which just enables a furtherance of the abuse-of-power cycle of military decisions and leadership?

This is your opinion and not held by many.

The vets answered the call or whatever and in most people opinion have a right to be proud of that service.

You hate the military for personal reasons (that I don't agree with) so you are never going to understand it.

The best you should and can do is be polite but you don't have to agree with what others believe.

I doubt he knows how to use a firearm.

Even cowardly idiots like Mike could accomplish what the Oregon shooter did. It takes zero talent to gun down college students in class.

Nothing wrong with taking pride in serving in the military. I'm of the unpopular opinion that both Korea and Vietnam were important steps towards the eventual demise of the global spread of communism, though.

Anyway, dude didn't deserve a discount, but that doesn't mean he can't take any pride in the work he did.

you're not getting the point.

for thousands of years, how does a small group of rich elite get everyone else to go off fighting, robbing, raping, pillaging and dying for them?

by telling them that's it's duty and honor to one's country.

hence, the feeling pride is essential.

the example you've shown simply demonstrates that the tactic works.

I always wondered if German WW2 vets were proud to wear their medals etc.

all wars are caused by a political/religious/social agenda/objective

they are proud due to their patriotism/nationalism to their country regardless of the overarching agenda/objective

Logically speaking why would anyone be proud of what Vietnam was.

I would be pissed if I was sent there. Bullshit war thst amounted to nothing. So many dead for nothing.

I would be pissed if I was sent there. Bullshit war thst amounted to nothing. So many dead for nothing.

Because that's what men have been like since the dawn of time, proud to have fought and survived battles

I actually had some guy ask me if I'd give him a discount for serving in Vietnam. I wanted to tell him off, but I just turned him down professionally.
WTF? You can get coupons for Subway just about anywhere.

Because that's what men have been like since the dawn of time, proud to have fought and survived battles

But Vietnam was a bunk war and many came back dead or mentally scarred for life.

For what? For it to fall to communism anyway. Seems to me I'd be pissed if I was sent there to watch friends die all over for basically nothing.

damn dude, don't you ever stop? it's beyond pathetic now.

This. Vietnam vets should have came back and burned Washington D.C. to the ground, not wear patches, medals, shirts, and have tattoos of their service.

Well it's hard for him to be proud of his "service" when it amounts to only a few days in Army boot camp at Fort Jackson before trying to hang himself (his admission).

You're pretty much right TS, but don't expect a lot of people to get that on this forum.

Although Korea is a little different. Look at what North Korea became, compared to South Korea. South Korea is actually a perennial G-20 nation, it's economic and cultural influence is extremely positive in Asia. It is a high-functioning democracy with a solid tech sector and generally positive\peaceful model for its neighbor's to aspire too.

Nothing wrong with going to war to prevent all of Korea from becoming what North Korea became, imo.

Vietnam on the other hand was the worst war crime of the post war era, (according to Geneva definition of War Crimes or War of Agression). Millions of Vietnamese simply murdered by American bombs and chemical weapons; a whole country destroyed based on the falsified Gulf of Tonkin incident, not to mention massive numbers of young middle class and working class Americans killed, maimed and traumatized...

Iraq is the same sort of thing. An imperial war that's done nothing but destabilize a region and destroy people's lives. It was good to kill Saddam but the price was far, far too high, for everyone involved, especially Iraqi's.

Afghanistan is a special case, it was certainly a war crime to invade the way the U.S did, and Bin Laden was in Pakistan - but the U.N did eventually "ratify" the invasion, in a manner of speaking.

You're right veterans should be more pissed off.

Man . . . God forbid a person take pride in surviving something like a war.

Some pretty pathetic responses in this thread.

Well it's hard for him to be proud of his "service" when it amounts to only a few days in Army boot camp at Fort Jackson before trying to hang himself (his admission).

This...

He has know idea what it actually is to have been part of the service as he didn't pass basic.

The armed forces aren't for everyone. Some people recognize that too late. That doesn't mean that should go about disparaging everyone who ever served just because it wasn't their cup of tea.

TS' Professional Turndown: I'm sorry sir, I can't do that, but for just $0.50 more I can make that a large for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back