International Egypt sentences girls who posted TikTok videos to 2-3 years prison. Crime : violating public morals

What I'm gathering is that TikTok is an app started by Ashlee Simpson to normalize bad lip-synching.

I hate tik tok and all but that seems a little harsh.

I thought Feminists said it was the evil American white man that was oppressing women?

Sounds like they could us a little Freedom and DemocracyTM

2 years prison and fines of $18K . 2 girls have received this sentence .
3 other girls received 2 years prison.
Another woman sentenced to 3 years

Their crime : violating public morals.

https://www.dw.com/en/egyptian-tiktok-stars-jailed/a-54371869

In their rulings, which can still be appealed, the judges accused the defendants of posting "indecent" dance videos and "violating the values and principles of the Egyptian family." The women incited "debauchery" and also encouraged human trafficking, according to the prosecution's statement, which specifically named two of the defendants: Haneen Hossam, a 20-year-old student, and Mawada Eladhm, 22.

---

The string of arrests for “moral issues” is more broadly part of a clampdown on personal freedoms that has accelerated since President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi came to power in 2013.

A widely circulated online petition described the arrests as a “systematic crackdown that targets low-income women,” and urged authorities to free the nine young women detained in recent months for posting TikTok videos.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/egyptian-women-get-2-years-in-prison-for-tiktok-dance-videos/
---

Some third world countries have this very vague and nebulous concept where people can be charged for disturbing social harmony or violating public morals or corrupting society.

Yeah yeah I know some of you will half humorsly say we should be doing this too.

There also appears to be a strong class factor motivating the authorities' response.

El Sisi keeping Egyptians safe , as always !!!

well tick tock is pretty terrible.....

Damn, she's ridiculously hot.
<{jackyeah}>
I like how she technically observes hijab by covering her hair and her body up to her wrists and ankles but then wears dem jeans to show off her phat, glorious ass. Not that I'm complaining.

Anyway I think its telling that these are the stories that catch the attention fo Western media, not the scores of dissenters from the ranks of the Muslim Brotherhood crowded into COVID infested prisons. I guess human rights don't apply if you're a MB supporter.
The string of arrests for “moral issues” is more broadly part of a clampdown on personal freedoms that has accelerated since President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi came to power in 2013.

A widely circulated online petition described the arrests as a “systematic crackdown that targets low-income women,” and urged authorities to free the nine young women detained in recent months for posting TikTok videos.
Sisi "protecting democracy"
tenor.gif

El Sisi gonna El Sisi. Really sucks for those girls

Ok Boomer girl is glad she doesn't live in Egypt

tenor.gif

ok-boomer-girl8.jpg
{<tongue}
No surprise from a theocratic shit hole.
But Sisi was supposed to stop this? How can this be?

Damn, she's ridiculously hot.
<{jackyeah}>
I like how she technically observes hijab by covering her hair and her body up to her wrists and ankles but then wears dem jeans to show off her phat, glorious ass. Not that I'm complaining.

Anyway I think its telling that these are the stories that catch the attention fo Western media, not the scores of dissenters from the ranks of the Muslim Brotherhood crowded into COVID infested prisons. I guess human rights don't apply if you're a MB supporter.

Sisi "protecting democracy"
tenor.gif

{<tongue}

But Sisi was supposed to stop this? How can this be?

I do see western media reporting on Sisi's authoritarian actions but it is usually Reuters, BBC, AP ; media that most Americans don't follow. When American MSM report on it, it is not front page news and is here today gone tomorrow.

I have no idea if our MSM is reporting on this story , I just noticed it on Reddit world news. Redditers link to all sorts of obscure news . That Kazakh anime thread I made on CCP genocide was also something I noticed on Reddit.

The part about this story that a lot of folks might not realize is that rights orgs. in Egypt are saying this has a lot to do with the girls coming from lower class families.

Fuddy duddies everywhere need to lighten up a bit. Teens everywhere just want to have some lighthearted fun and enjoy life.

Last edited:

The stories that catch the attention of the western media are the ones the western people are going to give a shit about.

TikTok's Chinese spying aside....

This type of actual sexism always pissed me the fuck off. I sincerely wish that American feminists redirected their efforts to combating worldwide sexism instead of the nonsense they focus on here.

Not saying this as a "hehe feminists r bad" argument like many do. I genuinely want sexism destroyed and left in the gutters of history where it belongs with the rest of the trash.

I do see western media reporting on Sisi's authoritarian actions but it is usually Reuters, BBC, AP ; media that most Americans don't follow. When American MSM report on it, it is not front page news and is here today gone tomorrow.

I have no idea if our MSM is reporting on this story , I just noticed it on Reddit world news. Redditers link to all sorts of obscure news . That Kazakh anime thread I made on CCP genocide was also something I noticed on Reddit.
Yeah fair enough. I think its mainly because Sisi is mostly convenient for the West; while the institutions of global capital are frustrated with the corruption and and lack of reform that inhibits growth the military generally advances the regional security interests of the West. So only these types of stories get any press since they have a certain symbolic resonance that appeals to Westerners that something like the massacre of over a thousand MB supporters doesn't
The part about this story that a lot of folks might not realize is that rights orgs. in Egypt are saying this has a lot to do with the girls coming from lower class families.
I think that's because in Egypt there is a lot of inequality so you have a relatively cosmopolitan elite that supports the dictatorship and then you have the poor masses. Going after people among the elite would be a mistake, could undermine the regime among its already narrow base of support. So might as well go after poor people.
Fuddy duddies everywhere need to lighten up a bit. Teens everywhere just want to have some lighthearted fun and enjoy life.
I suspect they do this because they know the Egyptian public is generally conservative given the success of the Brotherhood movement. But of course they don't want to actually give concessions to the MB so instead they think stuff like this is enough to placate the conservative sensibilities of the public. Basically worst of both worlds; brutal state violence of military dictatorship guided by faux conservative mores. I say faux because no one believes the ruling elite actually care about Islam. I attended an event by Morsi supporters once and I remember then poking fun at Sisi and his cronies for trying to appear religious by leading Friday prayers but making obvious mistakes in their salat.
The stories that catch the attention of the western media are the ones the western people are going to give a shit about.
Right and they don't give a shit about the vast majority of political prisoners in Egypt and the general authoritarianism of the government against its primary oppositions and the most effective democratizing force in the country.
TikTok's Chinese spying aside....

This type of actual sexism always pissed me the fuck off. I sincerely wish that American feminists redirected their efforts to combating worldwide sexism instead of the nonsense they focus on here.

Not saying this as a "hehe feminists r bad" argument like many do. I genuinely want sexism destroyed and left in the gutters of history where it belongs with the rest of the trash.
There are two kinds of feminists in Egypt. You have the cosmopolitan elite feminists who see the military dictatorship as the lesser evil compared to democracy which would means the strong possibility of the Muslim Brotherhood(or God forbid the Salafists) gaining political power sooner or later. And you have more radical feminists activists who are a tiny minority of the opposition and have no real grassroots base and therefore have no real power against the dictatorship and at best harmlessly squawk at it.

Right and they don't give a shit about the vast majority of political prisoners in Egypt and the general authoritarianism of the government against its primary oppositions and the most effective democratizing force in the country.

There's not much outrage to be harvested. It's not surprising that a woman being persecuted for dancing (i didn't watch the whole thing) harvests more outrage and sympathy than the MB...

In their rulings, which can still be appealed, the judges accused the defendants of posting "indecent" dance videos and "violating the values and principles of the Egyptian family." The women incited "debauchery" and also encouraged human trafficking, according to the prosecution's statement, which specifically named two of the defendants: Haneen Hossam, a 20-year-old student, and Mawada Eladhm, 22.

---

https://www.timesofisrael.com/egyptian-women-get-2-years-in-prison-for-tiktok-dance-videos/
---

Some third world countries have this very vague and nebulous concept where people can be charged for disturbing social harmony or violating public morals or corrupting society.

Yeah yeah I know some of you will half humorsly say we should be doing this too.

There also appears to be a strong class factor motivating the authorities' response.

El Sisi keeping Egyptians safe , as always !!!

In fairness, those are some DSL's.

They should release the women and decriminalize using social media.

Then Egypt should block Tik Tok.

So wait, girls can’t walk in their country like they normally do anymore ?

Backwards ass society. No place in the modern world.

Back