Eddie Hall vs. Hafthor Bjornsson

regular folks who think they can beat hafthor in a fight are delusional. even a good boxer will need to be really careful against that beast.

yes, he's slow, plodding, sloppy, can't throw a decent punch to save his life. i know. what i'm saying is, the grip strength alone this fucker has is ungodly. if he grabs one of your arms to hold you still and then hits you with the shittiest punch in the world, he's still breaking your face. we're talking about a 400lbs monster of a man, not some fatty.

a boxing match against a half decent heavyweight? he gets laid out, easily. a bar fight against some regular 180lbs joe? this man can literally kill you just throwing you around, and i'm not trying to be funny here.

regular folks who think they can beat hafthor in a fight are delusional. even a good boxer will need to be really careful against that beast.

yes, he's slow, plodding, sloppy, can't throw a decent punch to save his life. i know. what i'm saying is, the grip strength alone this fucker has is ungodly. if he grabs one of your arms to hold you still and then hits you with the shittiest punch in the world, he's still breaking your face. we're talking about a 400lbs monster of a man, not some fatty.

a boxing match against a half decent heavyweight? he gets laid out, easily. a bar fight against some regular 180lbs joe? this man can literally kill you just throwing you around, and i'm not trying to be funny here.
He used to be 450 pounds. Not sure where he's at now on the scale but it's safe to say 400+ lbs given his line of work. And yeah, his grip strength would be incredible. In boxing a guy weighing 10 pounds more on fight night can make a huge difference. Now imagine a real fight with a guy that outweighs these regular Joe's by over a couple hundred pounds of bone & muscle that is one of the strongest men in the world not only today but historically. The average Joe would be thrown to the ground with force and held there by Hafthor with one hand for as long as he wanted to keep them pinned down before lifting them up off the ground by the neck just to do it again.

Well you're taking INSIDE of a bar... But @aries would walk up to him and order him to step outside... This little nuance changes the whole thing.

Fckin love Eddie hall! Not in to powerlifting but always loved the strongman competitions. Watched his documentary which was filmed a couple of years before he won World strongest man, and around the time he beat the deadlift record. The guy is a absolute inspiration imo

Eddie beats the mountain, early KO. I’ve seen him in the ring and he can box pretty well for someone so muscular! It looks quite natural

He used to be 450 pounds. Not sure where he's at now on the scale but it's safe to say 400+ lbs given his line of work. And yeah, his grip strength would be incredible. In boxing a guy weighing 10 pounds more on fight night can make a huge difference. Now imagine a real fight with a guy that outweighs these regular Joe's by over a couple hundred pounds of bone & muscle that is one of the strongest men in the world not only today but historically. The average Joe would be thrown to the ground with force and held there by Hafthor with one hand for as long as he wanted to keep them pinned down before lifting them up off the ground by the neck just to do it again.

This is correct, but at the same time I'm thinking that weights don't hit back. It doesn't necessarily translate to fighting.

I think a wise man said once that an in shape 160 lbs. man can knock down a house.
Either way, you got to be good at fighting.

i have a BJJ training partner that's around 240lbs, ridiculously strong. he used to armwrestle, and can generally move a lot better than you'd expect him to by the way he looks. i've been grappling for over a decade and i struggle with this guy's grips. and i don't mean just the gi grips, those are impossible to escape from him anyway. i mean just him grabbing your wrist. it's ridiculous.

and he's a nobody, at 240lbs. hafthor could probably shatter my wrist with his grip strength alone.

Well you're taking INSIDE of a bar... But @aries would walk up to him and order him to step outside... This little nuance changes the whole thing.

well of course, if he steps outside then he's obviously getting knocked out by my power punching 160lbs of pure athleticism.

This is correct, but at the same time I'm thinking that weights don't hit back. It doesn't necessarily translate to fighting.

I think a wise man said once that an in shape 160 lbs. man can knock down a house.
i think in general i agree. honestly, naoya inoue could walk into my gym and knock out everyone, one after the other. i have no doubt in my mind.

but at 400lbs and more, shit just stops working. boxing, wrestling, jiu jitsu... those are all levers. they greatly amplify your power. but they're not magic. when you're as big and powerful as that guy, you can swing your arms with no technique and regular sized people will still go down if you hit them.

i have a BJJ training partner that's around 240lbs, ridiculously strong. he used to armwrestle, and can generally move a lot better than you'd expect him to by the way he looks. i've been grappling for over a decade and i struggle with this guy's grips. and i don't mean just the gi grips, those are impossible to escape from him anyway. i mean just him grabbing your wrist. it's ridiculous.

and he's a nobody, at 240lbs. hafthor could probably shatter my wrist with his grip strength alone.

well of course, if he steps outside then he's obviously getting knocked out by my power punching 160lbs of pure athleticism.

Did you see that video that I quoted earlier? That strongman is pretty close to the size of Thor and he wasn't able to really get anything going.

The middleweight is world class though.

A 160 pound man can knock out much bigger guys in a fight no doubt. But there comes a point where you're giving up so much size that you have very little chance if you're the untrained average Joe. Once you're giving up that much size & strength it's not going to be overcome very often (assuming a fair fight as far as the tactics are concerned). It's much more likely that they get slammed around until the guy gets bored or kills them. The lion may be the king of the jungle but even they know better than to screw with an adult elephant.

I'm 5'6 120 lbs with a bit of BJJ training, I think that you could transfer Marcelo Garcia's insane grappling skills into my body and I would still have less than zero chances of beating Bjornsson in anything, be it a grappling match or a real fight.

A 160 pound man can knock out much bigger guys in a fight no doubt. But there comes a point where you're giving up so much size that you have very little chance if you're the untrained average Joe. Once you're giving up that much size & strength it's not going to be overcome very often (assuming a fair fight as far as the tactics are concerned). It's much more likely that they get slammed around until the guy gets bored or kills them. The lion may be the king of the jungle but even they know better than to screw with an adult elephant.

Nice analogy, but an elephant weighs about 10-30x more than a lion.

I definitely wouldn't mess with a human that weighs 2000+ pounds, LOL.

Nice analogy, but an elephant weighs about 10-30x more than a lion.

I definitely wouldn't mess with a human that weighs 2000+ pounds, LOL.
Yeah but the lion doesn't know that though (the particulars regarding the weight disparity). It only knows that an elephant is much bigger and not to mess with one for that very reason. I could've used a much smaller animal, hippos are really feared, rhinos and so on. Hafthor would still be roughly 3x as heavy as the average dude and that mass is not in fat. You would think common sense would prevail not to bark up that tree for the regular untrained dudes of the world.

youd have to be at least 6 ft to be able to reach that chin
I would generally always favour a competently trainer fighter over tough guys with no training in a street fight. Especially boxers and MT guys. Seen it many times. Even giving away a fair amount of size. But as you say what can you actually do to someone that big and strong. It would be like fighting a fckin bear.

A swift kick in the Jacobs then on your toes is the only option

Bjornsson id say.

He actually moves around better and isn't muscle bound.

youd have to be at least 6 ft to be able to reach that chin
I would generally always favour a competently trainer fighter over tough guys with no training in a street fight. Especially boxers and MT guys. Seen it many times. Even giving away a fair amount of size. But as you say what can you actually do to someone that big and strong. It would be like fighting a fckin bear.

A swift kick in the Jacobs then on your toes is the only option
A kick to the groin or a hard front kick to the knee cap and then running away would be the only options available that I can really think of for the average untrained man against the guy. I don't think some of the posters in this thread realize that Hafthor isn't just going to cooperate even if you manage to take him down. I believe I could take him down at 195 pounds in good shape with a grappling background but I don't for one second believe I could keep him there. Trying to physically control him on the ground would be exhausting and nearly impossible as he'd be combative and looking to power out of whatever hold is being applied. Throw in the adrenaline fueling his rage, since he'll likely fight on emotion, and he'd be too much to deal with physically for most people on the planet unless you can knock him out as efficiently as possible, disable him with a groin strike immediately, or slap on a submission hold that sleeps him within a few seconds (like a rear naked choke). Even with the latter he'd have enough time to break your grips, peel off your choking arm, and get a hold of you.

Did you see that video that I quoted earlier? That strongman is pretty close to the size of Thor and he wasn't able to really get anything going.

The middleweight is world class though.
i just skimmed through it, and i wouldn't bet on hafthor winning a wrestling match against any world class wrestler, just like i wouldn't favor him vs any mundials / adcc champion in a grappling match.

those are a lot different than a fight, and we're talking world class opposition here. that same guy who was wrestling the strongman shouldn't be the measuring stick here. imagine your average buddy, someone who has maybe even trained a little. average size, can maybe throw a punch or lock up a choke. i have a hard time imagining them do anything but get crippled if they were to fight a monster like hafthor.

i'm a brown belt. i regularly train with 240lbs people, i box, i spar MMA. i've been doing it for a long ass time. the only reason hafthor doesn't fucking maim me in a fight is because there is no way in hell he ever catches me once i start running away from him. and i wouldn't stop running until i coughed my lungs out. that motherfucker is scary.

A kick to the groin or a hard front kick to the knee cap and then running away would be the only options available that I can really think of for the average untrained man against the guy. I don't think some of the posters in this thread realize that Hafthor isn't just going to cooperate even if you manage to take him down. I believe I could take him down at 195 pounds in good shape with a grappling background but I don't for one second believe I could keep him there. Trying to physically control him on the ground would be exhausting and nearly impossible as he'd be combative and looking to power out of whatever hold is being applied. Throw in the adrenaline fueling his rage, since he'll likely fight on emotion, and he'd be too much to deal with physically for most people on the planet unless you can knock him out as efficiently as possible, disable him with a groin strike immediately, or slap on a submission hold that sleeps him within a few seconds (like a rear naked choke). Even with the latter he'd have enough time to break your grips, peel off your choking arm, and get a hold of you.

i always used to use a hard front kick to the chest as a warning when you have someone aggressive coming towards you. Keep them at a safe distance, no broken hand, and more times than not it’s been enough to stop the situation escalating. You would just bounce off of someone that big, even if they are squared up. Nut shot is the answer! He ain’t gonna be able to run very fast, or far

I’d imagine most grappling techniques won’t work on someone that big and strong. He’d just be able to power out if it. Hit and run is the only option. If he grabs hold of you he would squeeze the life out of you

If this is what he brings, this is gonna be ugly. I actually think even Logan Paul can beat this guy

He's game, at least. I don't quite know why they're letting him hold and hit so much, it's pretty much all he did. If they have an actual referee in for the fight that won't be allowed. But I've heard Hafthor surrounds himself with a lot of yes-men so I'm not too surprised.

Back