• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Dustin Poirier wants to fight Islam Makhachev

I mean I wasn’t 100% serious. But has Islam been vouching for that rematch? Yair vs ortega makes the most since tbh. They need to run that back

Last I had heard both were calling for it. Its definitely possible that they announce that fight in the near future. But if not, I would imagine Dana is going to pressure Volk into a unification fight with Yair. Then I gotta think Arnold Allen will be in the mix if he gets past Max, which I don't see happening. Ortega may very well get in there in that case.

Fuck it, why not?

Because Dustin hasn't earned it and is on a 1 fight win streak over an opponent with a losing UFC record.

Dariush is the #1 contender. They should scrap his fight with Do Bronx and book him with Islam.

Let Poirier and Do Bronx run it back for a title eliminator.

That's my sentiment exactly.
He deserves a title shot! He just beat the (then #5) ranked guy in his division. That's when he was #2.
He is still behind Charles, but Charles is booked against Beneil.... so who exactly deserves more than him???
maybe he improved since Khabib!
He got finished by the last 2 champions with ease and his only wins of late are against Mcgregor and Chandler...hardly top 5 material. The only reason Chandler was in the top 5 was because he beat Hooker in his debut

Islam might like this fight to pad his record. That's the only appeal. Not that Dustin isn't a great fighter, but he has shown he is not a champion.

Islam is ducking Volk but I understand
Nothing to gain by fighting Volk again, while Volk would be getting a titleshot back to back? And what about the aftermath of last fight , salty Volk's team mates and coaches came at him with baseless accusations , why should Alex be rewarded ?both guys have their own divisions to take care of . Let them do that first, then rematch down the line.

Last edited:
Nothing to gain by fighting Volk again, while Volk would be getting a titleshot back to back? And what about the aftermath of last fight , salty Volk's team mates and coaches came at him with baseless accusations , why should Alex be rewarded ?both guys have their own divisions to take care. let them do that first, then rematch down the line.
Yeah i said in another thread it’s a lose lose for Islam since he won but he certainly didn’t show he’s the better fighter. He just squeaked by on the scorecards

Reactions: uff
Because Dustin hasn't earned it and is on a 1 fight win streak over an opponent with a losing UFC record.

Dariush is the #1 contender. They should scrap his fight with Do Bronx and book him with Islam.

I’m ok with them doing Dariush vs Oliveira. I doubt Oliveira will win. He seemed to have resigned entirely from championship contention in his match with Islam. Just a long playing of the Islam x Dariush fight, which at this point would also likely seem a forgone conclusion of Islam winning. Maybe the fight with Oliveira will be more meaningful than I expect and it will help Dariush grow to better threaten Islam. As of now, Islam has really cleaned out his class in a sense. There’s no one anyone would favor to beat him in a sports book.

if anything, the priority at lightweight is ushering in the new generation to succeed these guys who have been at this top for perhaps too long in many cases.

Just because little Volk beat the crap out of Islam doesn’t mean much larger lightweights can do the same. Islam would trash DP and I love the guy.

Dustin has a decent shot given his power and boxing. If Volk can hurt him Dustin can finish him…BUT don’t think Dustin can stop the takedowns or get up regularly. Islam would be the rightful 3-1 favorite

Islam is peaking and Dustin is at the tail end of his long career and is very likely on the decline or will be soon

The fight would not be the same as Khabib but the end result would probably be similar

That's my sentiment exactly.
He deserves a title shot! He just beat the (then #5) ranked guy in his division. That's when he was #2.
He is still behind Charles, but Charles is booked against Beneil.... so who exactly deserves more than him???
maybe he improved since Khabib!
Dustin fans trying to justify a gift title shot lol

I’m ok with them doing Dariush vs Oliveira. I doubt Oliveira will win. He seemed to have resigned entirely from championship contention in his match with Islam. Just a long playing of the Islam x Dariush fight, which at this point would also likely seem a forgone conclusion of Islam winning. Maybe the fight with Oliveira will be more meaningful than I expect and it will help Dariush grow to better threaten Islam. As of now, Islam has really cleaned out his class in a sense. There’s no one anyone would favor to beat him in a sports book.

if anything, the priority at lightweight is ushering in the new generation to succeed these guys who have been at this top for perhaps too long in many cases.

Dariush has not 'been at this top for perhaps too long' and is clearly the #1 contender in the division. After winning EIGHT in a row including a ranked Gamrot who absolutely nobody wanted to fight, its completely ridiculous to book him with Charles.

Dariush x Islam is a fresh match-up and style wise should be a thriller.

This weight cut excuse is crazy bro. Islam was still considerably bigger than Volk. Sorry, he couldn't be a MW that day as opposed to Volk being a WW <Lmaoo>Just move up if the weight cut is too much. Fight at your natural weight class, WW
Wish w

no need of running stuff back in a stacked division

Sure, fuck it, that or give him someone new and then another title fight.

Back