• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Dustin Poirier wants to fight Islam Makhachev

Honestly it's that match up or a Volk rematch in my opinion but I'd rather see him run it back with Volk.

Khabib is no islam. I think dustin has better chance here even if islam is a heavy grappler. Islam chin can get rocked.

Dustin's wrestling ability has been affected by his hip surgery, he's not fighting off Islam's wrestling for that long with the amount of wear and tear on his body at this point.

Islam's variations of TD's would be impossible for Dustin. He sucks badly at defending the type of wrestling that Islam brings.

I can't believe dustin and colby don't get along they are so much like eachother.

Maybe Beneil should have promoted himself better instead of settling for a fight with Oliveira.

You asked "why not?"

Because there are more deserving fighters that are compelling match ups. I really hate forced hype anyway. Would rather a guy fight for the title because he deserves it.

It's not like Dustin is hyping a fight with Islam either. All he said is, "What's up".

Ideally Fiziev beats Gaethje and then Poirier vs Fiziev could be a title eliminator imo.
Hopefully Fiziev KOs them back to back. So sick of these same guys (Poirier, Gaethje, Chandler). Just get rid of them

Let's do it... Dustin just won the #1 contender match at his local parade. ;)

Can't even fault Dustin anymore.

Fuck. Always wants that smoke.

<mma4>

i don’t really see the case for dustin right now. if he wins a few more, then maybe id see something to change my mind, but really i have no reason to doubt he’s gonna be the same guy who lost to khabib and oliveira. im seriously at the point where id rather see dariush vs islam. it sucks that lw isn’t as deep as it used to be.

I see a lot of people dismissing his abilities, but IMO and besides the fact that Dariush should have a shot first, Dustin is still amongst the very best of the current LW, with a ton of experience.

Obviously missed his opportunities, against tremendous fighters, and Islam is very probably not an easier fight, but I wouldn't be against him being second-next in line, if he can get a good win next.

Maybe he should fight an actual contender first?
Biggest problem.
At least Justin G is. So Justin with a win goes before Porier.
But, they both had TWO title shots. So unless Dariush and Fiziev lose, they have to be in the back of the line.

I don't think DP can physically stop the takedown. His body is a bit shot. What Volk did wasn't just trying to defend the takedown. He fought Islam on every step and refused to play guard. I think Volk is close to solving the puzzle but it might be an off night for Islam since he had a terrible weight cut.

Yawn, we need new contenders and matchups. Im kinda bored with chandler, gaethje and poirer hanging around. I want fiziev and dariush to get their time.
This^

While I enjoy all those fighters

. They get too much opportunity. They've had their turn, bring in dariush

Back