Dumbest Question Ever Asked

Kingfarthur

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
"Can the UFC handle a gay male fighter?"

http://cagepages.com/2014/02/10/michael-sam-comes-ufc-ready-first-openly-gay-male-fighter/

Like, what the fuck is gonna happen? Dana's gonna get the news, trip over himself and fall on the big red "abort" button?

Congratulations media, for creating something out of nothing, and looking for controversy where there is none. "Hey look, we found a quote from an over the hill Pride fighter from like three years ago where he kinda said grappling with a gay dude would be weird" omg yay controversy!

Seriously, the UFC coordinates 35+ events per year, hundreds of media sessions, scheduling for 400+ employees/fighters, and allocating 400 Million in revenue, yet they can handle having a gay fighter on the roster? Shut the fuck up media, go finger your butt hole for another 17 hours straight over the NFL draft.

Last edited:
To whom are you referring? Is there a particular article that recently came out, or are you just ranting?

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Can you add some context please. If it was asked by a sherdogger in a forum, then I would maintain that is not any dumber than many other questions on here. Now if its in the media somehow... that would be a dumb question.

Can you add some context please. If it was asked by a sherdogger in a forum, then I would maintain that is not any dumber than many other questions on here. Now if its in the media somehow... that would be a dumb question.

Sorry, yes, it was the title of an article, I'll post the link above.

Its an article on fox sports. A pretty garbage article if you ask me

Sorry, yes, it was the title of an article, I'll post the link above.

Thanks!

Yep, that article is a bit silly. "He's gay, huh. Ok. Well, does he punch people in the face good?"

That's all we care about these days.

Seriously, the UFC coordinates 35+ events per year, hundreds of media sessions, scheduling for 400+ employees/fighters, and allocating 400 Million in revenue, yet they can handle having a gay fighter on the roster? Shut the fuck up media, go finger your butt hole for another 17 hours straight over the NFL draft.

Firstly: Don't knock it til you've tried it
Secondly: helaxxx my fran

actually i think the dumbest question is "how will i won't?" but not many people would ask it.

I thought Nick Ring was gay? Didn't he come out on TUF?

To whom are you referring? Is there a particular article that recently came out, or are you just ranting?

there is an article for it, came out yesterday or today, i forget where im just to lazy to google it

"Can the UFC handle a gay male fighter?"

http://cagepages.com/2014/02/10/michael-sam-comes-ufc-ready-first-openly-gay-male-fighter/

Like, what the fuck is gonna happen? Dana's gonna get the news, trip over himself and fall on the big red "abort" button?

Congratulations media, for creating something out of nothing, and looking for controversy where there is none. "Hey look, we found a quote from an over the hill Pride fighter from like three years ago where he kinda said grappling with a gay dude would be weird" omg yay controversy!

I don't think there's any doubt that a gay male fighter would be treated equitably by the UFC, in terms of matchmaking, promotion, etc. Having a fighter come out could generate public interest and would no doubt be looked at as a windfall by the UFC. No one is pushing the big red button, as you say.

The question is whether the various component parts of the UFC - fans, other fighters, trainers and other people connected with the sport - could handle it without an outburst of intolerance. MMA obviously has a fairly macho culture, and it's difficult for me to imagine a fighter coming out as gay without generating a wave of homophobic backlash, bringing negative attention to the sport.

I realize there are several openly gay women fighting in the UFC, but I believe male homosexuality carries a greater stigma in the world of sports, especially in a masculinized sport like MMA.

I'd like to agree with you, that in the 21st century an athlete's sexuality just doesn't matter. But I don't think we're there yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back