Dumb question regarding military guys like Stann and Kennedy

That is incorrect. Tim was in 7th Special Forces Group which is tier two. Tier one is Army SFOD-D, Navy DevGru, and Air Force 24th Special Tactics. Only the men that have served under that umbrella know the specifics of their training. At least in detail.
I speak of later in his career.. And no need for the military history, I was a 14D, US Army..

is the act of or willingness to kill a thing that needs to be trained as well? like are you conditioned to use lethal force? i don't imagine many people are willing and able to kill without being taught that it is necessary in combat despite knowing it is bound to happen. i am completely ignorant of anything military.

And in no way do I mean to disparage from military guys. It's just that their job, for the most part, really does not call for the use of martial arts. You will still find plenty of military members who are trained in martial arts either by the military or private businesses (academies and gyms), but they are your traditional BJJ/Thai boxing/MMA-style, not teh deadly stuffs.

Jocko Willink offers his thoughts as a SEAL on BJJ and martial arts training, he's a good listen on podcasts or other interviews.

4c30c2_19d849a91b9f4a759c5d91d05b065e0b.jpg_srz_p_500_666_75_22_0.5_1.2_0_jpg_srz

I'd bet just about anything that your average military guy would look pretty much the same as your average sorta fit guy in hand to hand combat. How often would it occur that two people would not have guns, nobody else around and have to fight it out?

I'd bet just about anything that your average military guy would look pretty much the same as your average sorta fit guy in hand to hand combat. How often would it occur that two people would not have guns, nobody else around and have to fight it out in a modern warzone?

One thing a lot of people dont take into account is the mentality. How many ufc fighters have been faced with a literal fight for survival, until the other human being is dead.

The answer is zero, while many SF guys I know personally have killed not only with weapons, but with their bare hands or a knife. It takes a certain mentality that is an absolute advantage for a guy that has been in, and survived that type of situation.

They are willing, able and have killed without hesitation; mma fighters are havent

that being said most average serviceman are not better at anything hand to hand than an mma fighter and would get their ass beat 1 on 1

Another little fun did bit, took him three tries to get there ;)
I thought I remembered hearing something about it being revived when 7th group moved, but never knew Kennedy had served in it. When was his last year on active duty?

I thought I remembered hearing something about it being revived when 7th group moved, but never knew Kennedy had served in it. When was his last year on active duty?

Not 100% sure, but probably 08, 09, or 10? Funny thing was C/3/7 basically built an MMA gym for him due to his success. Also, I have seen a lot of allegations about his steroid use, but at the time he was in he was clean(as far as anyone knew). Steroid use was openly talked about, not looked down upon, and not really hidden. I only mention this because I see a lot of threads accusing him of using lately.

This thread has surprised me and I fully expected it to digress into the usual Sherdog posters trying to be funny crap.

Back