Dumb question regarding military guys like Stann and Kennedy

I think TS wants to know if their military training in close quarters combat would be superior in a life and death hand to hand combat situation vs a UFC fighter.

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that the answer to that would be no.

But since we are talking about military close quarters combat, my father fought in Vietnam. Sometimes when he got drunk we'd get him talking about it and he would tell us kids some really crazy ass stories about killing guys with knives in tunnels. One point he always emphasized was that when you're crawling through a tunnel, you don't use a flashlight, because they could see you coming. You were supposed to just crawl in the dark until you bumped into something and then you stabbed it to make sure it wasn't alive.

The real advantage in the military, especially the special forces, relies on their superior teamwork. Teamwork in the military destroys any and all individual superiority. What would be really interesting is if you took five MMA fighters and had them fight five Navy Seals at the same time. Would the team tactics of the Seals negate the individual skills of the MMA fighters?

I think you'd be surprised. From what I understand, military training, even special ops, does not really focus at all on hand to hand training. More about team work, shooting, tactics, and other specialized skills.

Kerr-Stott-ko_zpsemchyg5u.gif

This post deserves more likes. We've seen too many Jason Bourne and Commando movies where we're convinced that all our special forces guys are lethal hand-to-hand fighters that would mop the floor with professional fighters.

The right mindset is that UFC fighters are modern day gladiators and they will mop the floor with basically anyone in a 1v1 no weapons fight.

Special forces guys would obliterate them in squad vs. squad armed combat - because that's where their time goes.

I think you'd be surprised. From what I understand, military training, even special ops, does not really focus at all on hand to hand training. More about team work, shooting, tactics, and other specialized skills.
/QUOTE]
BJJ is taught just about everywhere in SOCOM. Boxing scenarios, smashing people in the face with weapons, etc. is taught everywhere. MMA has changed much of this as military hand to hand has evolved in a very positive sense just like civilian self defense....but your right the focus is on other things, as it has to be.

I can remember 20 yrs ago when Royce himself was challenged by a "hallway champion" and responded with, "I do not fight anyone for less than $10,000."

This post deserves more likes. We've seen too many Jason Bourne and Commando movies where we're convinced that all our special forces guys are lethal hand-to-hand fighters that would mop the floor with professional fighters.

The right mindset is that UFC fighters are modern day gladiators and they will mop the floor with basically anyone in a 1v1 no weapons fight.

Special forces guys would obliterate them in squad vs. squad armed combat - because that's where their time goes.
And in no way do I mean to disparage from military guys. It's just that their job, for the most part, really does not call for the use of martial arts. You will still find plenty of military members who are trained in martial arts either by the military or private businesses (academies and gyms), but they are your traditional BJJ/Thai boxing/MMA-style, not teh deadly stuffs.

Jocko Willink offers his thoughts as a SEAL on BJJ and martial arts training, he's a good listen on podcasts or other interviews.

We mostly did combatives. I only made it to level 1, which was a bunch of rolling and some basic holds. Oh and shrimping lots of shrimping.

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that the answer to that would be no.

But since we are talking about military close quarters combat, my father fought in Vietnam. Sometimes when he got drunk we'd get him talking about it and he would tell us kids some really crazy ass stories about killing guys with knives in tunnels. One point he always emphasized was that when you're crawling through a tunnel, you don't use a flashlight, because they could see you coming. You were supposed to just crawl in the dark until you bumped into something and then you stabbed it to make sure it wasn't alive.

Lol my old man was in the Nam too, RoK army. So was my Scout Master in the Boy Scouts, they told me some fcuked up stories from the American army and Korean army side.

Holy shit this again, from not till the end of time being in the military doesn't mean shit nothing for fighting they learn how to fight before hand like wrestling in high school etc to maybe even college then enlisting or being commissioned then training at a civilian gym that anybody can train at the military is just there job no different from if they are a mail man who trains mail men don't have secret techniques and neither do they. Next time use the search function or common sense up to you.

I would think that Kennedy would know more of the secret military holds then Stann would. Since Kennedy was a special forces Ranger while Stann was more of a platoon leader.

The real advantage in the military, especially the special forces, relies on their superior teamwork. Teamwork in the military destroys any and all individual superiority. What would be really interesting is if you took five MMA fighters and had them fight five Navy Seals at the same time. Would the team tactics of the Seals negate the individual skills of the MMA fighters?
No you would just get 2 ok ill give you 3 fighters fighting 5 Seals and 2 fighters watching and laughing

Holy shit this again, from not till the end of time being in the military doesn't mean shit nothing for fighting they learn how to fight before hand like wrestling in high school etc to maybe even college then enlisting or being commissioned then training at a civilian gym that anybody can train at the military is just there job no different from if they are a mail man who trains mail men don't have secret techniques and neither do they. Next time use the search function or common sense up to you.
Punctuation is much more beneficial than it's made out to be.

Here in Hawaii my friend runs the army combatives program. We qualify soldiers from levels 1 through 3. The first level is easy we pretty much teach you how to pull guard, clinch in the guard, clinch standing up and how to sweep from the bottom. to get certified for level one the soldiers have to get in close and get a clinch three times while we punch them in the faces really hard with boxing gloves on. Its pretty fun basic stuff.

There are no secret holds or techniques that the military own.
They could have some knowledge on things that are outlawed on MMA, but there's really no way of drilling them, I think they'd be just as good as they are now.
Maybe more cold blooded though.

Back