Dumb question regarding military guys like Stann and Kennedy

according to steven seagal he would kill every ufc fighter in a fight if there were no rules .... but it has to be in the desert, where there is no one watching

giphy.gif

Tim applies to the second part of your post.. Fact.
That is incorrect. Tim was in 7th Special Forces Group which is tier two. Tier one is Army SFOD-D, Navy DevGru, and Air Force 24th Special Tactics. Only the men that have served under that umbrella know the specifics of their training. At least in detail.

In the late 90's and early 2000's USASOC and units from the USMC were employing H2H techniques called LINES (Linear Infighting Neural Override Engagement System) the system employed various fight ending moves such as eye gouges, groin strikes, joint smashes, ect. It seemed to be somewhat employable under combat conditions and there were stories of guys using LINES successfully during the early years of the GWOT. The issue with the system was in order to perfect timing you had to train near 90% to successfully employ, this resulted in many many injuries, I personally earned a fib/tib fracture while doing LINES in 2002, sidelining me for nearly a full year. Anyway, while the system was effective, the concern of training injuries made the upper echelon leadership consider an alternative that was a more user friendly for the less genetically gifted (females), and would be more feasible to train without breaking your guys before they even were deployed. The decision was LINES was scrapped and the MACP (Modern Army Combatives Program) was instituted. Not sure if this answers the question, but it's some info for what it's worth.

Would they have knowledge of holds or techniques from training in the military that would see them defeat better MMA fighters if the UFC really was no holds barred?
Cqb hand to hand.sparring can get out of hand to say the least

it's all about drones and carpet bombing now..

Would they have knowledge of holds or techniques from training in the military that would see them defeat better MMA fighters if the UFC really was no holds barred?

MMA, BJJ, hand to hand etc training is all a waste of time for military personnel. There is no use for it.

Not sure about no holds barred but i know that they mag have an advantage in that you have the opportunity to train in martial arts while youre serving for example.

I have a buddy i went to high school with who is now at west point and he just got his green belt in judo a couple weeks ago and i believe he trains bjj or some variant of krav maga while hes there as well

When Tim Kennedy laid on Bisping for 25 minutes would he have known some pressure hold or something illegal to MMA that could kill Bisping?

Our Sensei always taught us varied strikes... one you would use in competitive fighting, and one you would use in the street/life and death/personal safety etc. In competitive fighting, you would punch to the face or sternum to score the points on go for the knockout.

In a situation where time and safety are paramount and critical, you punch/kick to the throat or groin. The goal is to end the dangerous situation as fast as possible, period. I envision soldiers operating under the latter, and I don't think they're too fussy on whether it's their fists, boots or a knife.

In an MMA fight, I'd take the pro fighter all day long. In a life and death situation, pro fighters aren't trained to kill, while a soldier would have no compunction about ending your life asap.

That is incorrect. Tim was in 7th Special Forces Group which is tier two. Tier one is Army SFOD-D, Navy DevGru, and Air Force 24th Special Tactics. Only the men that have served under that umbrella know the specifics of their training. At least in detail.
Tim was also in C/3/7 which is CINC level unit, Tier 1

Tim applies to the second part of your post.. Fact.

Tim was also in C/3/7 which is CINC level unit, Tier 1
Did not realize that. Thanks for the correction.

No. Not at all. But if you equipped the entire roster of the UFC with rifles and put them up against a few platoons of militarily trained soldiers it would become evident what exact that military training consists of.
thats surprising - you would think wars would end with only two soldiers left defending each side, leading to mma style combat - all guns were also destroyed somehow - and then whoever has slightly better jiu jitsu training would win via submission and lead to victory for their whole side

A fat cop came to visit my house once with this little scrawny sidekick. With my HS wrestling background alone, I could have taken both of them. Much less BJJ training. My uncle went to West Point. In the 70s he was taught alot throat punches, eye gouges, and a few chokes.

No holds barred, Kennedy would definitely put a beating on almost everyone. Stann always looked shitty on the ground. Chael could have thrown Stann if he wanted when he picked him up.

I think you'd be surprised. From what I understand, military training, even special ops, does not really focus at all on hand to hand training. More about team work, shooting, tactics, and other specialized skills.

Kerr-Stott-ko_zpsemchyg5u.gif
Certain parts of the military do train wrestling, BJJ, or even boxing. There are some unarmed techniques which they teach (Krav Maga comes to mind). But the reality is, against a trained, dangerous opponent with multiple skill sets, those techniques become a lot less meaningful. In MMA with the unified rules, they're even less meaningful.

In the late 90's and early 2000's USASOC and units from the USMC were employing H2H techniques called LINES (Linear Infighting Neural Override Engagement System) the system employed various fight ending moves such as eye gouges, groin strikes, joint smashes, ect. It seemed to be somewhat employable under combat conditions and there were stories of guys using LINES successfully during the early years of the GWOT. The issue with the system was in order to perfect timing you had to train near 90% to successfully employ, this resulted in many many injuries, I personally earned a fib/tib fracture while doing LINES in 2002, sidelining me for nearly a full year. Anyway, while the system was effective, the concern of training injuries made the upper echelon leadership consider an alternative that was a more user friendly for the less genetically gifted (females), and would be more feasible to train without breaking your guys before they even were deployed. The decision was LINES was scrapped and the MACP (Modern Army Combatives Program) was instituted. Not sure if this answers the question, but it's some info for what it's worth.
An excellent response. As GWOT ground on for years and soldiers and Marines were looking at third and fourth deployments, just fielding a healthy unit that could be deployed became the priority. All training was evaluated and redone to avoid injuries that would prevent people from being deployable.

I think you'd be surprised. From what I understand, military training, even special ops, does not really focus at all on hand to hand training. More about team work, shooting, tactics, and other specialized skills.

Kerr-Stott-ko_zpsemchyg5u.gif

This is true.

Martial arts is seen as more of an individual pursuit in the military. They train some basics, but it's more about escaping and getting a firearm than actually defeating the enemy with unarmed combat.

Guns > martial arts.

Lol my old man was in the Nam too, RoK army. So was my Scout Master in the Boy Scouts, they told me some fcuked up stories from the American army and Korean army side.

We should get a Vietnam thread going. My dad flew firebirds (helicopters) in Vietnam.

Back