Dumb question regarding military guys like Stann and Kennedy

Willek

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Would they have knowledge of holds or techniques from training in the military that would see them defeat better MMA fighters if the UFC really was no holds barred?

Would they have knowledge of holds or techniques from training in the military that would see them defeat better MMA fighters if the UFC really was no holds barred?

No holds barred = a simple headbutt, gross fish hooking, easy small joint manipulation...etc, etc...

I think you'd be surprised. From what I understand, military training, even special ops, does not really focus at all on hand to hand training. More about team work, shooting, tactics, and other specialized skills.

Kerr-Stott-ko_zpsemchyg5u.gif

according to steven seagal he would kill every ufc fighter in a fight if there were no rules .... but it has to be in the desert, where there is no one watching

If you delve into the technique forums many cops,military etc basically trash all hand to hand combat they are taught mercilessly. MMA fighter round 1 by whatever they want in NHB.

No. Not at all. But if you equipped the entire roster of the UFC with rifles and put them up against a few platoons of militarily trained soldiers it would become evident what exact that military training consists of.

They teach you how to do a sonic boom in the military.

If by NHB you mean firearms? Then yes, otherwise... not really.

Not really. Hand to hand in the military is very basic and meant to be a last resort. They want it to be simple enough to retain without the continuous repetition that most martial arts training uses. There is some advanced hand to hand in the special operations units that is trained more specifically. The thing that gives it that deadly moniker is due to it being more rudimentary to dispatch people quickly. Groin and throat strikes, etc. are things already outlawed by the rules.

Tier one units are rumored to have even more focused training, but I don't know the specifics. Most military members that are dedicated to advanced training do so on their own accord, even within the units. Armed combat training, on the other hand, can be very advanced depending on your function.

I think you'd be surprised. From what I understand, military training, even special ops, does not really focus at all on hand to hand training. More about team work, shooting, tactics, and other specialized skills.

I knew this gif was coming. :D

The army's combative program is just simplified Bjj. It's actually based on bjj.

No man.

I was in the Marines and you basically learn a very basic version of mma and bjj training.

You aren't trained to kill with your bare hands. It's not like the movies. You do learn to defend yourself, but even most lower level mma guys will crush military special forces at the highest of levels in an mma fight, even with no rules like old school ufc.

Give those special forces guys some weapons though and put them out in a desert or jungle with the mma guys and you'd have a lot of dead mma fighters.

No. Not at all. But if you equipped the entire roster of the UFC with rifles and put them up against a few platoons of militarily trained soldiers it would become evident what exact that military training consists of.

I think TS wants to know if their military training in close quarters combat would be superior in a life and death hand to hand combat situation vs a UFC fighter.

MMA fighters train military people on a regular basis. So guys like Stann and Kennedy could actually be at a disadvantage.

Probably over half the "hand to hand" combat I learned was learning how to dispatch people as quickly and efficiently as possible, mostly with a knife or other tools including the hands. One instructor said if you ever found yourself in hand to hand fight with the enemy you fucked up bad.

I have two siblings in the military, one a combat engineer in the Army, the other an MP in the Airforce. The Army brother learned just a few BJJ moves, and the MP learned mostly restraining holds. The Army brother explained that you have to actually elect to take "combat initiative" courses. I think he said there are five levels of hand-to-hand combat courses and most soldiers only take one or two levels. He said the only guys going up to level five are Green Berets and Rangers, and even then most only go to level three or four. In combat, guns reign supreme. Hell, rangers and GBs will put a knife through the base of your skull before they'd ever slap on a RNC.

They can't use the secret military chokes, or then we'd all find out about them.

Ranger down!

according to steven seagal he would kill every ufc fighter in a fight if there were no rules .... but it has to be in the desert, where there is no one watching

His punches are like bullets.

Back