Double Champs are Frauds

You make a good point. However one exception i'd make is if a fighter goes up and beats a champion who's been dominant/undefeated for a long time. That is certainly impressive.

It shows you can beat a legit fighter in a different weight class but it isn't as big of a deal as actually earning the shot and then winning the belt.

These champ vs champ fights have been happening left and right since WME took over. With that said they don't run it like a legitimate sport anyways, Khamzat is fighting the #3 contender without ever facing anybody that was even close to being ranked. Pettis was given a title shot against Aldo despite never fighting at 145 and he wasn't even the champ at 155 yet. The fight didn't happen because Pettis pulled out but still... It was scheduled. Alvarez got a shot by winning 2 split decisions (after losing to Cerrone). Then you've got guys like Tony and Holloway that need 10+ win streaks against legit competition to get a title shot. It's a bunch of bullshit.

Winning the belt is just winning 1 fight, doesn't show how you'd fare against the rest of the division.

It's an accomplishment but like with many things some people exaggerate it. The double champ thing picked up steam with fighters wanting to go that route after seeing the acclaim that some fighters received in doing it and also with the pressures from some fans wanting to see them move on to another division to capture that title. It of course gets off track with instant title matches without fighting up the ranks and then no title defenses. I don't knock those who've taken that path because its become an accepted practice.

Lil Mac didn’t just go straight from Bald Bull to Tyson! I agree, it is a dumb gimmick and not only diminishes the garbage ranking system, but contenders in the weight class above get brushed aside. That is the UFC’s way of building stars these days I guess.

Agree expect you defend the Belt like Cejudo. Not like GSP who ducked everyone after winning it and disappeared

Is this about GSP? I thought it was about Conor.

Nunes is totally legit and so was Triple Cringe. I see your point TS, but its not totally true in all cases. Does Conor never defending a single belt make him a fraud? Hmmmm

Nunes is totally legit and so was Triple Cringe. I see your point TS, but its not totally true in all cases. Does Conor never defending a single belt make him a fraud? Hmmmm

I wouldn't say necessarily a fraud but it definitely holds weight in an argument when Conor fans try and include him in any GOAT talk for sure.

I do feel that it's not as big of an accomplishment as some make it seem. I believe if you give any champ a chance at a second belt a decent number of them will win it. It's already boring as it largely seems like a gimmick. Had Silva continued on to the LHW belt while being MW champ that would've been a true achievement. At least he didn't get an instant shot

Fraud would be winning the belt and never defending it, regardless of double champ or not (Conor we are looking at you). If you win two belts and defend them, that is impressive.

Going up in weight and winning 1 match doesn’t make you a champion of that division. To be a champ of a division you need to have had multiple fights and work your way up the rankings to a title shot. Or if you move up and win a title fight, you should defend it multiple times to show that you’re actually the best in the division you moved up to.

If the Clemson college football team played the KC Chiefs and won, does it make them the champion of the NFL? No. This new gimmick in MMA is a joke and should have no impact on GOAT status.

There is no regular season in mma, winning a fight with the title on the line makes you the champion. You may not hold that in the same light as other champions but you can't redefine what a champion is

I find it laughable and repulsive that bald penis wanted Aldo to relinquish his FW Title before moving up to fight for the LW title. What makes this even more ridiculous and hypocritical is the fact that Aldo had defended numerous times and already cleared out his division.

Yet Canner didn’t have to even defend his title and walked right into the LW title shot... in the end he held up both divisions for years and needed to be stripped to finally get things moving again, all while Mac wasn’t generating a penny for the UFC, karma is a bitch...LoL

Going up in weight and winning 1 match doesn’t make you a champion of that division. To be a champ of a division you need to have had multiple fights and work your way up the rankings to a title shot. Or if you move up and win a title fight, you should defend it multiple times to show that you’re actually the best in the division you moved up to.

If the Clemson college football team played the KC Chiefs and won, does it make them the champion of the NFL? No. This new gimmick in MMA is a joke and should have no impact on GOAT status.
if you beat the champ at championship weight you become the champ. elite boxers usually don't "earn" title shots in the division above when they move up.

beating the champ in the division above you is obviously an accomplishment. it isn't the same obviously as running through multiple divisions. take things balanced. ultimately resumes are about big moments and big wins.

Yeah I agree. It allows champions to avoid actually fighting the deeper ranks within the division. Like Conor was able to call himself lightweight champion without fighting Tony Khabib or any of the killers in the division.

well khabib didn’t fight the killers before or to get the title.

So instead of going into a division and taking out the top guy you would rather have them face the #5, #3 contenders first? why?

Back