dont you just hate how mma has turned to pointfighting?

Everyone knows decisions can be good fights. This isn't groundbreaking news.

pointfighters are specific fighters. Everyone knows they exist. Your threads are always the same- We get it, you love Dana and every single thing the UFC does and everyone who doesn't is stupid.

Everyone knows decisions can be good fights. This isn't groundbreaking news.

pointfighters are specific fighters. Everyone knows they exist. Your threads are always the same- We get it, you love Dana and every single thing the UFC does and everyone who doesn't is stupid.

Catsgotreal.jpg

im cool with how mma is today.. some cards just don't live up to the hype but last night was a suprising excellent card with mostly all finishes.. except colton smith, borrrrrriinG

Generally, it's hard to say MMA is just point fighting. So you do have a good point.
The people who complain about it are pointing to specific fighters.

There are guys at the elite levels; guys like Edgar, MM, and Cruz, who are almost pure point fighters. And they tend to clog up Main Events with 25 minutes of their games.

When refering to Edgar as a point fighter, that might be true. But I find it hard NOT to acknowledge the smarts and the fight IQ this guy brings to the table. He lacks the power to put people away, but he has such a savvy style that with him, I truly dont mind him seing 25 minutes.

'Point fighting' just naturally has a bad ring to it. Being a point fighter doesnt mean that the fight cant be entertaining, although I like finishes as much as the next guy.

When refering to Edgar as a point fighter, that might be true. But I find it hard NOT to acknowledge the smarts and the fight IQ this guy brings to the table. He lacks the power to put people away, but he has such a savvy style that with him, I truly dont mind him seing 25 minutes.

'Point fighting' just naturally has a bad ring to it. Being a point fighter doesnt mean that the fight cant be entertaining, although I like finishes as much as the next guy.

I don't think any pro fighter "lacks the power to put people away". These guys are super strong and hit hard.
They choose a strategy that doesn't involve using their power. For example, if you constantly dart in, touch your opponent, and then dart out, that would be a case of not using your power.
If you randomly go for a surprise TD in the middle of a standup affair, you have no intention of fighting on the ground, and your opponent escapes within 5 seconds, that would be a case of point fighting.

Actually, I don't mind when there aren't finishes. It has more to do with getting to see actual fighting.
A guy like GSP seeks to do damage in the standup, controls his opponent after a TD, tries to pass guard, and unleashes heavy GnP. So, IMO, I can't call him a point fighter, even if he hasn't finished anyone lately.
Even a guy like Fitch, who gets a lot of flack around here, at least there is a purpose to taking down his opponent, and at least he renders his opponent helpless.

I just don't appreciate the MM/Cruz/Edgar style that much. I feel bored and cheated after their 25 minute marathons.

Agreed. Last nights cards were awesome. I honestly never thought there was a problem.

Because if you do, you need to jump off a cliff.

MMA is as exciting as it's ever been, if not moreso. The last two nights showed it, once again.

I have actually found myself much more interested in MMA recently. I have always followed it, but there has been a lull in the last 1-2 years. Something has come back and I can't put my finger on it.
Having said that, what has brought me back is definitely not what I saw in the Ricci vs. Smith fight. If you go 3 rounds, at least 1 of the guys should have a scratch on their face. Both guys looked just as good as when they entered the ring. That fight didn't have the violence requirement for my taste.

Because if you do, you need to jump off a cliff.

MMA is as exciting as it's ever been, if not moreso. The last two nights showed it, once again.

still tonz of great fighters

In Pride the first decision victory score was the effort to finish the fight.
In UFC the first decision victory score is the number of girly slaps you hit the other guy with.

Do the math.

Its no surprise that MMA is having more point fights. Fighters are evolving. they now know wrestling, bjj, and striking. it's hard to knock someone out or submit them.

The skill level of the average fighter is high.

oh and the richie/corlton fight was great.

It's at the elite level where its becoming a problem imo, those guys have too much to lose so its understandable in a way.

lulz lulz lulz

This page proves many Sherdoggers just read thread titles, not the actual posts.

Its no surprise that MMA is having more point fights. Fighters are evolving. they now know wrestling, bjj, and striking. it's hard to knock someone out or submit them.

The skill level of the average fighter is high.

oh and the richie/corlton fight was great.

I agree with what you say but that fight was not great.

i thought it was great. but i do admit i am biased. i enjoy wrestling. To me the match was really good.

It was the worst fight of the card, but still a good fight.

The last 10 events (since the atrocity that was 149) have all been great

Back