Donald Pump's "Let's Make F13 Great Again" Pub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man there is nothing that makes you appreciate the normal things in life than having the stomach flu. Feel like I'm dying over here. I can't even hold down water.

Man there is nothing that makes you appreciate the normal things in life than having the stomach flu. Feel like I'm dying over here. I can't even hold down water.

Gonna be shredded come beach season though.

Speedy recovery!

Dude, I'm having a crisis about turning 26. Help. Me.

You had another kid right?
Turning 32 in a week. Feels like life is all over and my best days are behind me. Live life to its fullest, lad, before it's too late.

Turning 32 in a week. Feels like life is all over and my best days are behind me. Live life to its fullest, lad, before it's too late.
Really?! At 32??

I'll be 39 next month, generally feel great and like I have plenty to look forward to.

Lol, I'm 42 and still have so much to do, learn and see.
Don't get me wrong it would be cool to be a decade or so younger (if I knew then what I know now etc.) but there are genuinely as many positives as there are negatives to getting older.

Edit - with certain caveats; obviously good health is key...

*I hope you're feeling better Oblivian.

At nearly 32 myself, I can say that I’m easily a better person in nearly every regard than I ever have been before.

I need examples. My 20’s end in a couple of years.
Well, these are just personal beliefs, but I believe if you want to achieve anything athletically your window closes as you age. Also changing careers.

Yes but many doors close after your 20s.
Some do, such as being a professional sportsman, medical doctor, high-powered lawyer and the like; aside from that, the world's still your oyster. In many ways your opportunities increase as your network and experience grow.

There's much to be said for the deeper understanding of yourself that comes with getting older; additionally, the more I know the easier it is to learn new things as I have a wider and deeper foundation of knowledge to build upon.

Well, these are just personal beliefs, but I believe if you want to achieve anything athletically your window closes as you age. Also changing careers.
No way dude.
Masters class in a lot of sports are ripe for the picking. As long as you stay strong and healthy you can definitely be competitive.

In my 40's now and I definitely have a few doors opening, not only career wise, but athletically as well.

I don't really agree in regards to careers at all. Doors are always open. So many careers are interchangeable and a lot has to do with connections and opportunities. I have a friend who is 40 who just switched his career from being an engineer to investment advisor. To me, that was a wild switch, but it was timing. He works for a large manufacturing companies with plants all over the world. He'd been with the company for a long time and was in a position where he mainly worked from home or traveled to the other plants. He still had a connection with the local plant. Well now that local plant is closing, and it's a major employer here. He has a friend who worked for a national investment company and they saw an opportunity with him coming on there. He'd basically be getting all of the 401k rollovers from the factory, and he has enough connections to likely build a bigger base.

Most industries have crossovers with others. I just did a closing for someone who was a sales representative for tobacco. Not exactly a very high paying position, but she made connections with gas stations. She is now works for a large oil company and is in charge of all of the contracts with gas stations throughout our state. Anytime a sale occurs, she's there. In my industry, I think I could probably cross over into many different avenues through real estate, banking, and even in the legal field.

When we hire people, our owner who is in his 70's has an old school mindset. When we got people in their late 40's applying, he didn't think it was worth it to interview since they wouldn't be around that long. Honestly, that's a ridiculous mindset. I found it was the exact opposite, and research confirmed that. Look at the median tenure for someone in a job. It's crazy to think that you are going to hire a 20 something and they'd stay forever. The younger generation is actually more likely to jump from job to job. If we higher someone in their 40's and someone in their 20's at the same time, I'd place a large bet that the 40 something would stay longer. They are less likely to want to switch. The days of assuming someone will stay for the long haul is over.

This is going to sound like I’m making this up but it’s 100% true. The career to date of one of my business partners goes something along the lines of (I may have got the order a little wrong):
  • Sponsored Skateboarder (which really meant free gear and paid expenses but still worth mentioning)
  • Royal Marine
  • Snowboard/Ski Instructor
  • Fireman
  • Personal Protection (Bodyguard) for visiting foreign dignitaries
  • Sys Admin (IT Guy)
  • Project Manager
  • Programme/Logistics Lead for a multi-billion £ programme
  • Re-joined the Royal Marines and did a tour of Afghanistan
  • IT Guy again
  • And now he’s a Co-founder/COO of a technology company…

This is going to sound like I’m making this up but it’s 100% true. The career to date of one of my business partners goes something along the lines of (I may have got the order a little wrong):
  • Sponsored Skateboarder (which really meant free gear and paid expenses but still worth mentioning)
  • Royal Marine
  • Snowboard/Ski Instructor
  • Fireman
  • Personal Protection (Bodyguard) for visiting foreign dignitaries
  • Sys Admin (IT Guy)
  • Project Manager
  • Programme/Logistics Lead for a multi-billion £ programme
  • Re-joined the Royal Marines and did a tour of Afghanistan
  • IT Guy again
  • And now he’s a Co-founder/COO of a technology company…

You never know where life will take you. I do a lot of closings for a guy that owns a bakery. He owns 25+ rental properties now, and he's looking to retire. He was trying to get me to take over his bakery! I mean that would be a drastic career change.

Here's another strange one. An accountant for a large factory decided to leave there to run the transportation department for a local YMCA. He basically arranges all the rides the YMCA offers, and he's sometimes the driver.

Honestly, unless it's a very specialized field, most can learn and be trained for any field. If you display the ability to excel in a job and make some connections, you'll probably have opportunities to jump into different careers even late in life.

You never know where life will take you. I do a lot of closings for a guy that owns a bakery. He owns 25+ rental properties now, and he's looking to retire. He was trying to get me to take over his bakery! I mean that would be a drastic career change.

Here's another strange one. An accountant for a large factory decided to leave there to run the transportation department for a local YMCA. He basically arranges all the rides the YMCA offers, and he's sometimes the driver.

Honestly, unless it's a very specialized field, most can learn and be trained for any field. If you display the ability to excel in a job and make some connections, you'll probably have opportunities to jump into different careers even late in life.
To quote John Lennon "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"; who knows what's around the corner.

There's a guy in the UK called Tom Watson who up until recently was a career politician and number two in the Labour Party. He quit a few months ago and has just announced he's studying to become a personal trainer, and has a diet and exercise book coming out soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if I end up doing something completely different in the future.

No way dude.
Masters class in a lot of sports are ripe for the picking. As long as you stay strong and healthy you can definitely be competitive.

In my 40's now and I definitely have a few doors opening, not only career wise, but athletically as well.
What can I say, dude. I'm a doomer.

As mentioned, I'm 39 next month, have been in pretty much the same industry for 20 years up until getting made redundant last summer and am now on my close protection course with work already lined up in that field for when I'm finished (all being well and I pass of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back