Does Sport BJJ really not translate to the streets?

cooltoon999

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a few friends who are into the whole gracie combatives thing/self defense thing (train at a real gym) and they assure me that sport jiujitsu will not translate to the street well because you don't have to worry about punches. While their is some truth to that statement, I don't think you should totally rule out it out.

I mean, if you were drunk and this black guy was hittin on your girl, and you know your babe's into the interacial thing, and you tried to attack him, but oh shit it's Jacare pre-mma, i'm pretty sure he'd fuck you up. But then theres also the argument that because he's so athletic he'd have the upper hand.

What do you think?

Sport JJ does not translate as well as those self-defense courses.

Example: Pull guard on some guy on a hardwood or concrete floor. Then, do the self-defense approach, parry/block a punch, clinch, trip.

In first scenario, you sir are out cold. In the second scenario, a winner is you.

I mean, if you were drunk and this black guy was hittin on your girl, and you know your babe's into the interacial thing, and you tried to attack him, but oh shit it's Jacare pre-mma, i'm pretty sure he'd fuck you up. But then theres also the argument that because he's so athletic he'd have the upper hand.

What do you think?

i think that's an invite to a threesome, don't spoil the fun

I think once in a while, it is good to take the gi jacket off and put on some gloves for some "self-defense" training.

It depends on your style. There are a lot of guys who play bottom and have horrible takedowns. Butt scooting in a fight where you can punch is not a good idea. There are also guys who excellent takedowns and control, I have a hard time seeing an untrained person defeating the latter

If it is a 1 on 1 situation we are talking about, just watch the early Gracie challenge match tapes. And remember that your average guy will be less skilled than a kung -fu master.

Butt scoot Jiu Jitsu has really not much to offer on the streets. You can choke the shit out of someone though, but guard play is quasi useless when gouging and biting are involved.

its completely a diff animal. sure knowing sport jj will be better then nothing in a fight but theres a good chance ull get ktfo. gjj self defense is the way to go. when ur getting punched alotta stuff goes out the window

If it is a 1 on 1 situation we are talking about, just watch the early Gracie challenge match tapes. And remember that your average guy will be less skilled than a kung -fu master.

BJJ has changed a lot since then, the Gracie's trained for Vale Tudo matches, and trained to take down someone that was trying to hit them. If all you are doing is sport JJ training you aren't thinking about strikes, or even needing to take someone down if you prefer to pull guard.

BJJ has changed a lot since then, the Gracie's trained for Vale Tudo matches, and trained to take down someone that was trying to hit them. If all you are doing is sport JJ training you aren't thinking about strikes, or even needing to take someone down if you prefer to pull guard.

exactly.

I have a few friends who are into the whole gracie combatives thing/self defense thing (train at a real gym) and they assure me that sport jiujitsu will not translate to the street well because you don't have to worry about punches. While their is some truth to that statement, I don't think you should totally rule out it out.

What do you think?

so you have officially come out as a troll.

good for you.

Sport JJ does not translate as well as those self-defense courses.

Example: Pull guard on some guy on a hardwood or concrete floor. Then, do the self-defense approach, parry/block a punch, clinch, trip.

In first scenario, you sir are out cold. In the second scenario, a winner is you.
Be realistic. Just because a guy trains in sport BJJ doesn't just mean he's gonna jump guard like an idiot and slam into the hard ground.

Any decent BJJ guy, even if his game usually consists of pulling guard, will be able to dominate the average guy in the clinch. He can then work takedowns and trips or even dirty boxing and ground and pound.

Chances are a decent sport BJJ guy would probably beat most dudes that train Gracie combatives self-defense because sport BJJ guys actually test their techniques all the time against resisting opponents.

Training Bjj for sports and competition is a 1 style
Training Bjj no-gi is different
Training Bjj for mma is different and
Training Bjj for self defense is different

My guess is, is that if you are a high level competitor, you'll be oKay on 'THE STREETZ!"

If you are a competitive boxer you would suck on the streetz because you would have no one to tape your hands or separate you in the clinch. Competitive wrestlers suck as well on the Streetz. Nobody ever walks around with a singlet on. Take away a MT guy's big gloves and he got nothing...:confused:

Gracie Combatives is the only proven method for le street...:icon_neut

Also, TS is an obvious race baiter...Not cool, bro... :-/

My guess is, is that if you are a high level competitor, you'll be oKay on 'THE STREETZ!"

If you are a competitive boxer you would suck on the streetz because you would have no one to tape your hands or separate you in the clinch. Competitive wrestlers suck as well on the Streetz. Nobody ever walks around with a singlet on. Take away a MT guy's big gloves and he got nothing...:confused:

Gracie Combatives is the only proven method for le street...:icon_neut

Also, TS is an obvious race baiter...Not cool, bro... :-/

Don't forget, no judo throws unless your opponent has a gi on.

most sport bjj guys (yes, even the ones who pull guard all the time) are at least competent enough in there takedowns to get a untrained attacker down, and just because sport guys often pull guard in competition doesn't mean they are going to do that in a real fight. The distinction between sport and self defense is stupid because anyone who can handle someone who is trained will have little trouble dealing with someone who is untrained.

Chances are a decent sport BJJ guy would probably beat most dudes that train Gracie combatives self-defense because sport BJJ guys actually test their techniques all the time against resisting opponents.

haha yeah right. gracie combative dudes are testing their self defense against someone trying to punch their face in. sport guys against other sport guys resisting? big whoop, as soon as gjj guy punched him in the face its a diff story

Most combat sports will have to be modified to an extent to be street effective. This includes grappling arts and striking arts too. There is a difference between sport and self-defense.

Average guy on the streets does not know how to fight well at all. Sport bjj teaches you the ground aspect of it and gets you in shape. The higher belt you get the better you are the more equipped you are to fight.

haha yeah right. gracie combative dudes are testing their self defense against someone trying to punch their face in. sport guys against other sport guys resisting? big whoop, as soon as gjj guy punched him in the face its a diff story

pointless, BJJ guys will take you down and then choke you out since the combatives only learned to use JJ against a striking opponent.

Back