Does Sport BJJ really not translate to the streets?

Sure it does.

Alright lets look at someone who hasn't trained anything at all ever vs someone who has trained BJJ for several years.

Neither have striking experience, yet
The BJJer has trained takedowns
The BJJer has trained takedown defence
The BJJer has trained sweeps
The BJJer knows how to mount
The BJJer is used to humans being aggressive towards them
The BJJer knows how to break posture and clinch
The BJJer has a lot(notice not all) of their trained submissions available
The BJJer is in(hopefully at least) decent physical condition

Jiu Jitsu translates to the streets easy, not nearly as efficiently as mma or boxing would, but they are still more capable than average Joe. Yes you'll still get rocked if you pull guard on concrete and go for an inverted arm bar, but thats not the only route of attack for someone who does JJ. Even only training BJJ it wouldn't be hard to start throwing punches from mount then work to a sub or just beat his face in.

If it is a 1 on 1 situation we are talking about, just watch the early Gracie challenge match tapes. And remember that your average guy will be less skilled than a kung -fu master.

Yeah, but they fought on a padded floor. Most of those tapes show the gracie fighter on top, but I have seen a few where a big guy is on top of them. THe guard is great, and I use it all the time, but I would avoid it at all costs on the street.

Couple things to keep in mind...

going to the ground is a great way to get KTFO.

First, if you're in an urban environment, the ground is most likely going to be concrete/asphalt... with all sorts of nice things to cut you like rocks and broken glass.

Second, if you're on the ground in guard and the person you are fighting has friends, they're going to stomp the fuck out of you.

Third, if the person is larger than you, and you lock in a triangle or armbar, you should be prepared to be slammed into concrete/asphalt.

I think the only useful bjj skills would be throws/trips, and clinching. I'd avoid the ground at all costs imho.

I mean, if you were drunk and this black guy was hittin on your girl, and you know your babe's into the interacial thing, and you tried to attack him, but oh shit it's Jacare pre-mma, i'm pretty sure he'd fuck you up. But then theres also the argument that because he's so athletic he'd have the upper hand.

What do you think?

No.

Couple things to keep in mind...

going to the ground is a great way to get KTFO.

First, if you're in an urban environment, the ground is most likely going to be concrete/asphalt... with all sorts of nice things to cut you like rocks and broken glass.

Second, if you're on the ground in guard and the person you are fighting has friends, they're going to stomp the fuck out of you.

Third, if the person is larger than you, and you lock in a triangle or armbar, you should be prepared to be slammed into concrete/asphalt.

I think the only useful bjj skills would be throws/trips, and clinching. I'd avoid the ground at all costs imho.

Getting scraped up by rocks scares you, you shouldn't be in a fight.

His friends wont attack you if you're standing?

You shouldnt prepare to be slammed, you should just actually break their posture, or underhook their leg, or LET GO if you get picked up off the ground. If an untrained person is picking up and powering out of armbars or triangles, you are doing it wrong.

BJJ does help with avoiding the ground.

i would imagine that training in bjj would help go on the offensive in a defensive situation.
anyway pulling guard in a street fight is a nono unless you have more friends than your opponent to watch your back.

Last edited:

You shouldnt prepare to be slammed, you should just actually break their posture, or underhook their leg, or LET GO if you get picked up off the ground. If an untrained person is picking up and powering out of armbars or triangles, you are doing it wrong.

And here we have the difference between someone who trains and someone who does not.

First off, you're right, I'm probably the last person who would be in a fight because I'll always back away unless I'm forced to defend myself. I'm not some meathead who trains so they can go around and get in fights.

And if the person does have friends, I'm sure they will get involved... at the least they will try and pull you apart, and the most, they will gang up on you and beat you down.

But if you willingly take a person down to the ground, you're asking for trouble. When you're on the ground, you are much more vulnerable to third parties... either by being stomped, kicked, punched - or if you're in the mount, someone can easily come up behind you. When you're standing up, at least you can circle around, or run away. When you're on the ground, you're pretty much committed.

okay listen fuckfaces

the reason sport JJ, or a person who has competed in sport JJ would do better in a SD situation is because he is used to using his techniques against other strong, athletic, skilled people.

against an untrained attacker the fight would be over in 10 fucking seconds with the attacker having a broken arm/no face.

It translates exceptionally well.

Let me break it down...

1. Take down

2. Get hooks in

3. Ground and pound

4 (optional) Americana / Armbar / More GNP

You don't have to use ALL aspects of BJJ to win a street fight. After all, like everyone is saying, this isn't a BJJ competition. Just do what works and suits the situation.

defense vs strikes is ingrained in proper posture breaking/guard playing

Thank god someone brought that up. Even if you did pull guard(for whatever reason you may have) as long as you are good at playing it, it should work to an extent.

LOL huh. if ur not training w punches part of the time, then my 'generalization' is correct

You have my attention.

What does your weekly training consist off and how does it differ to BJJ?

Thank god someone brought that up. Even if you did pull guard(for whatever reason you may have) as long as you are good at playing it, it should work to an extent.

and heck bjj/judo is better standing up to because you kinda naturally hold your hands more like a boxing guard because you don't want to give the other guy a lapel grip

freestyle/submission wrestling you are more worried about the double/single leg and hands and stance are naturally lower

It is not a coincidence that some of the best MMA strikers are judokas, grip fighting share some of the same body mechanics as striking

They are full of shit. Plenty of fighters especially at the amateur level can have zero striking experience and still do rather well. You just put both forearms in front of your face shoot forward, bodylock and prosper if they have no idea whats going on the ground. At most you'd eat a few shots coming in but if you're explosive that gap gets closed pretty quickly. Would training with strike help? sure, but thats like saying wrestling wouldn't be useful in a streetfight or judo and that is just fucking stupid.

They are full of shit. Plenty of fighters especially at the amateur level can have zero striking experience and still do rather well. You just put both forearms in front of your face shoot forward, bodylock and prosper if they have no idea whats going on the ground. At most you'd eat a few shots coming in but if you're explosive that gap gets closed pretty quickly. Would training with strike help? sure, but thats like saying wrestling wouldn't be useful in a streetfight or judo and that is just fucking stupid.

uppercuts hurt thou:icon_neut

If your BJJ is worth a damn, even if you pull guard or get taken down or knocked down by an untrained brawler, you should be able to sweep and mount him within about three seconds anyway. An untrained guy will not know how to posture and base to stop a basic sweep.

uppercuts hurt thou:icon_neut

keep the elbows in tight i suppose. I know, hopefully, you were just trying to play devils advocate, but I mean really the one thing that I think anyone learns real fast about the ground game is if you don't know anything about it and your opponent does you're in for a really really bad day. So yes absolutely zero striking training hurts, but heck even closing the distance knowing striking you still follow the same steps. You need to move forward faster than your opponent moves backwards or out and not get knocked out in the process and this holds especially true in a streetfight where your opponent probably doesn't have much formalized training.

People rlly overestimate untrained randoms. These guys have NO CARDIO, NO TECHNIQUE, and chances are won't even be able to keep a cool head. Anyone who has trained sport JJ at least knows how to body lock, from there you can easily take down ANY untrained opponent. The biggest fuck up guys on the street make is giving up the underhook from a body lock position ;you should be able to make them your child from that position. Getting in that position is also pretty easy; I doubt any untrained person will have the footwork to avoid the clinch.

Last edited:
no its not

and yet the most common guard in MMA is a closed guard with an overhook and neckcontrol...

just like bjj awards points for positions on top that would be good for GnP

it is why BJJ works so well in MMA, the basics were the basics because the are logical if a guy is punching you

Back