Does Sport BJJ really not translate to the streets?

All you sport bjj guys seem to be forgetting that outside the gym the world is carpeted in broken glass, hot lava and land sharks with laser beam eyes. Seriously, have you never read on e of these threads before? All BJJ is useless in the street because of the glass, the lava and the sharks.

All you sport bjj guys seem to be forgetting that outside the gym the world is carpeted in broken glass, hot lava and land sharks with laser beam eyes. Seriously, have you never read on e of these threads before? All BJJ is useless in the street because of the glass, the lava and the sharks.

Or the rare and elusive glass lava shark.

I have trained at a couple of different of schools,

I'd say they trained standup 20% of the time. if that.

Assuming that since someone trains sport bjj, that they would "dominate" in the clinch, is simply wrong.

Other than the takedowns, sport bjj is 100% street effective in 1v1 no weapon fights.

Wtf is a race baiter

from wik...

Race baiting is any form of speech, actions, or other forms of communication, to anger, intimidate or incite a person or race of people,[1] to behave in ways that are inimical, and often harmful, to their personal or group interests. The term "race" in this context can be construed very broadly to include a collection of whatever aesthetic features define a race or ethnicity.[citation needed] Thus the use of any language or actions for the purpose of exploiting actual or perceived weaknesses in persons who can be identified as members of certain groups in order to do them some sort of harm can be contained within the concept of "race baiting."

"some black dude" is hitting on your girlfriend who likes dating interracially???

You could have just said some big athletic dude and your thread would have been better.

from wik...

Race baiting is any form of speech, actions, or other forms of communication, to anger, intimidate or incite a person or race of people,[1] to behave in ways that are inimical, and often harmful, to their personal or group interests. The term "race" in this context can be construed very broadly to include a collection of whatever aesthetic features define a race or ethnicity.[citation needed] Thus the use of any language or actions for the purpose of exploiting actual or perceived weaknesses in persons who can be identified as members of certain groups in order to do them some sort of harm can be contained within the concept of "race baiting."

"some black dude" is hitting on your girlfriend who likes dating interracially???

You could have just said some big athletic dude and your thread would have been better.

But i'm black, and my girlfriends white.

But i'm black, and my girlfriends white.

Why does race matter for the purpose of this thread?

"So if it was a black dude, I would lure him to the pool or an ice rink because I would have a biological advantage."

You see; I am taking the bait. I am getting sucked in to a discussion about race when I really only want to know if pulling guard is okay on the streetz.:rolleyes:

pulling guard on a street fight might not be a good idea.

I not saying it's the ideal situation; just that if a person who sucks at boxing/takedowns tries it, it won't necessarily result in an automatic KO from falling to the ground. Unless there's a bunch of knives. With sharks and hot lava.

Couple things to keep in mind...

going to the ground is a great way to get KTFO.

First, if you're in an urban environment, the ground is most likely going to be concrete/asphalt... with all sorts of nice things to cut you like rocks and broken glass.

Second, if you're on the ground in guard and the person you are fighting has friends, they're going to stomp the fuck out of you.

Third, if the person is larger than you, and you lock in a triangle or armbar, you should be prepared to be slammed into concrete/asphalt.

I think the only useful bjj skills would be throws/trips, and clinching. I'd avoid the ground at all costs imho.

just a quick advice, if you have never ever train in bjj, you should not ever give your opinion on subjects that involve bjj techniques.

Ive taken combatives and then full Jiujitsu and the premise is correct. In a street fight situation you are better off keeping it simple and going with the quick response combatives as opposed to doing something high technical.

Heres a general rule for street fights...stay off the ground. Cause Asphalt or concrete doesnt feel like the gym mat

Ive taken combatives and then full Jiujitsu and the premise is correct. In a street fight situation you are better off keeping it simple and going with the quick response combatives as opposed to doing something high technical.

Heres a general rule for street fights...stay off the ground. Cause Asphalt or concrete doesnt feel like the gym mat

How did you take the combatives?

If only the first month of BJJ wasn't completely filled with brainwashing techniques designed to make us forget that we have the ability to punch or kick as well..... alas....

And as has been mentioned before, someone who is untrained might have about 30-60 seconds of gas in the tank IF they are in awesome shape. You just don't learn economy of effort without training.

If you're really worried about street fights then:

A - Stop looking for them / hanging out in places where fights happen.

B - Carry a knife.

C - Train in Parkour.

Of course, I have a PERFECT 0/0 street fight record just because I follow A.

First off, you're right, I'm probably the last person who would be in a fight because I'll always back away unless I'm forced to defend myself. I'm not some meathead who trains so they can go around and get in fights.

And if the person does have friends, I'm sure they will get involved... at the least they will try and pull you apart, and the most, they will gang up on you and beat you down.

But if you willingly take a person down to the ground, you're asking for trouble. When you're on the ground, you are much more vulnerable to third parties... either by being stomped, kicked, punched - or if you're in the mount, someone can easily come up behind you. When you're standing up, at least you can circle around, or run away. When you're on the ground, you're pretty much committed.

In a one v one situation, which most street fights are, Bjj is all you will need. Clinch, takedown, mount, punch you in the face till you give up or turn over, choke you and then piss on your face.

Its that simple. And when you train against people who have never trained before, you see how easy it is to move them. Even when they struggle and use all of their strength, it is still easy to have your way with them

Not a route i would ever recomend or take in my right mind but for the record i have jumped guard in the middle of a street at 3 am and it was effective....

doesnt mean i would do it in a bar or in a self defense situation with my head on semi straight

...all im sayin

Or the rare and elusive glass lava shark.

sharks are easy to beat, just gotta pin them, so win for judo I guess

but BJJ works vs pitbulls, can you be more streetz then pitbulls?

The ground is my ocean and I am the shark.

Jiu Jitsu is the pit bull of the martial arts.

Back