Does Marquardt have the ability to shake up Welterweight?

I'd like to see Nate vs Hendricks for a title eliminator. Nate would win and then lose to GSP.

Ohhhh send this to Joe silva. This match is a lot better than Jake, i see Nate winning a decision if he survives the first round

What a stupid thing to say. Fitch got destroyed in the first fight and has been knocked out and fought to a draw since. Suddenly he can beat gsp though? Great logic

Didn't say he would beat him. Just suggested that it could be a competitive fight. Implying that it couldn't have been a competitive fight last time? Did you even watch MMA back then?

Going to be very interesting seeing him @ WW in the UFC. Plenty of marquee match-ups for him,stoked to see his return. It'll add more depth to an already enjoyable stack of fighters to watch.

Marquardt's a tough out for anyone, always has been.

QFT.

I think Nate has the advantage over everyone at WW except GSP and Rory (I'd say the odds are even for that one).

Rory vs Nate for #1 contender would be epic.

Perhaps in time yeah,but this soon/at this time;I feel Nate would crush him.

Seems like 185 could use Nate more than 170, but always nice to have another top guy

Nate will win the title when he gets his shot. He is a killer, and the fact that he is confident he can beat GSP after training with him for several years speaks volumes.

:eek: MMM; a fighter confident on his win? First time i heard about it, sure, he is gonna win because he is confident, oh, wait, i remember now, 99 % of fighter thinks they can defeat the opponent, sorry, he lost against all the quality opponents ( all we know what happened with Palhares) and he will lost to the top 5 WW too

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how he's able to make 170 to begin with. He was a big middleweight.

But to answer the question, yes. Marquardt is one hell of a fighter and I see him working his way to a title shot once he returns to the UFC.

He needs to step his TDD up to the next level first.

IIRC Woodley only managed to take him down when he was rocked. And although his TDD at MW wasn't absolutely stellar, it will look a heck of a lot better at at WW i think.

Yes.

He's experienced and athletic as hell. Given the opportunity he will KO any welterweight.

IIRC Woodley only managed to take him down when he was rocked. And although his TDD at MW wasn't absolutely stellar, it will look a heck of a lot better at at WW i think.

Lay N Pray Woodley couldn't keep him down though.

And if he can't hold you down and run the clock out he's screwed.

Well he is definitely a lot more dangerous than Kampmann in my opinion so he is way up there, should make some big waves

This all day. I'm a huge fan of Kampmann, but Marquardt is a step ahead.

Considering that Kampmann was in a number one contender fight, and Maia is also finding himself in one (at least I think a win over Fitch means a title shot for him) - Marquardt should have the ability to walk in immediately to the upper echelon of the division.

Marquardt has the ability to shake things up as much as Fitch does

Give Nate more credit. I don't think he'd go out against Hendricks like Jon and he probably would've beaten BJ Penn.

Didn't say he would beat him. Just suggested that it could be a competitive fight. Implying that it couldn't have been a competitive fight last time? Did you even watch MMA back then?

Implying it could have been a close fight back then is reasonable. To do so now is plain stupid. Fitch would get ragdolled again. And yes for your information I watched MMA back then.. Haha people on this site always try to make personal attacks instead of actual points about the topic being discussed, my dad's friend showed us UFC 1 when I was very young and I have been a fan ever since. Lifelong martial artist and blue belt in BJJ at Pittman's academy in Lubbock (Pittman is a 4th degree under Royce and Machado). So yes I did watch mma back then to answer your question.

He was a beast at middleweight. His only shortcoming was that his wrestling wasn't on par with the major top game fighters at 185, and that he was dropped by Silva (but who isn't?).

I don't understand how he managed to cut an additional 15 pounds off his already yolked frame without destroying himself (and at 32, no less) but it would seem that he's done it as well as can be done. I don't see him going in with unfavorable odds against anyone outside GSP. Koscheck or St. Pierre are the only two I'd wager could put him down and keep him there with any success.

Trainning at TRISTAR!!!
May be a torn in his footh.

Can the perennial top-5 MW who hasn't lost that much muscle mass do some winning against the contenders at WW? I would hope so or MW is way weaker than I thought.

Nate the Great is gonna rack up some nice finishes in the WW division me thinks

he should fight maia again, this time at 170...

I'm not talking about his fight with Woodley. I'm talking about him jumping into the deep end of the divsion where guys like Koscheck, Ellenberger, Hendricks, GSP, and Fitch dwell.

Back