Does Marquardt have the ability to shake up Welterweight?

Implying it could have been a close fight back then is reasonable. To do so now is plain stupid. Fitch would get ragdolled again. And yes for your information I watched MMA back then.. Haha people on this site always try to make personal attacks instead of actual points about the topic being discussed, my dad's friend showed us UFC 1 when I was very young and I have been a fan ever since. Lifelong martial artist and blue belt in BJJ at Pittman's academy in Lubbock (Pittman is a 4th degree under Royce and Machado). So yes I did watch mma back then to answer your question.

Personal attack? You americans are far too sensitive. I was only asking if you watched mma back then because i was questioning whether you realised how many people thought that fitch could decision GSP.

And lets be honest, Fitch had a horrible first round and that can dominate your confidence. An improved and motivated Fitch (i.e. lack of money) would be in a different frame of mind and could again give GSP a competitive fight.

I apologise for my poor phrasing

Mar's big problem has always been showing up for the #1 contender or title fight. He has all the tools to dominate outside of that mental block (IMO of course).

I'm not talking about his fight with Woodley. I'm talking about him jumping into the deep end of the divsion where guys like Koscheck, Ellenberger, Hendricks, GSP, and Fitch dwell.

Who have far less muscle mass than their MW counter parts and therefore Marquardt should be more difficult for these smaller men to take down.

I'd love to see him fight Condit and Diaz. Marquardt is a great fighter, but I think he loses to the strong wrestlers in the division. GSP is also better everywhere. There are better matches for him at MW but I guess he's planning to stay at WW for now.

Who have far less muscle mass than their MW counter parts and therefore Marquardt should be more difficult for these smaller men to take down.

Are you trying to use some weird form of MMAth? WW wrestlers are the best wrestlers in MMA.

Technique>Strength

marquardt cements himself in the t5, a fight with stun gun could be good

Top 5 for sure but won't ever get the title at least till GSP moves on

Are you trying to use some weird form of MMAth? WW wrestlers are the best wrestlers in MMA.

Technique>Strength

Err no? Thats why wrestlers predominantly go through severe weight cuts. If we were talking about BJJ then we might be in agreement.

Yes, he instantly makes the UFC's best division even better and more exciting. I want to see him fight Nick more than anything.

For sure, Nate the Great is a beast

170 is perfect for him.

He is fucking huge for 170

I'd say Marquardt can become the #2 WW really fast if he gets his mind right... He's always been weak-minded.

I think he'd crush a bunch of welters. Can see him working over Rory Mac and Koscheck. He'd struggle with Fitch and Hendricks though. I'd like to see him vs Silva for his first fight.

I might be alone in this, but I don't see Nate as a top 5 WW. I think that he seems a bit more impressive than he is due to the fact that he was a top 5 fighter in a very weak 185 pound division, and he has a few ridiculous ninja-esque KOs on his highlight reel. I suspect that he's more in the range of 6-10 at WW, which is still awesome and adds depth to the division.

As far as GSP goes, I think Nate absolutely no threat. He was able to generate zero offense against Sonnen, who has proved to be susceptible to being subbed from top position. GSP has the best top game in the sport, so I'd say that Nate has the same chance as most other WWs...a puncher's chance.

I agree Nate will be making some big waves at 170. Top 5 probably.

Would love to see him fight Rory

Top 10 automatic, top 5 in no time. He's a very dangerous bastard.

I think he could be a top 5 ww for a long time to come. I don

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back