Does it feel like Conor vs. Siver all over again?

fortheo

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time getting excited for this fight. People really need to reach and dig to find reasons to make them logically think that a 10 days notice Diaz is going to threaten Conor. It feels like another wasted fight for Conor, just like the Siver fight; A stylistic gift wrapped fight for Conor.

Are you guys underwhelmed?

Not really TBH.

First Nate is a weight class above. Second he can take some shots and has way more tools than Sivir. Third Nate is also a master in playing mind games. I can imagine that if Conor can't put Diaz away after the first he might get frustrated.

I only hope Diaz is in somewhat shape to fight. As long as he doesn't run out of gas it will be a great fight to watch.

Yes. Siver was prepared but very undersized.

Nate is oversized but unprepared.

Those are facts. It's not Conors fault. Replacement fights are sometimes not as exciting as the original. Once the belt was out of the equation, the interest won't be the same.

The silver lining is that this is probably the only chance at this fight. Nate doesn't win consistently enough to earn that fight other than on short notice.

I just want to see if Nate's reach will give him problems

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I just want to see if Nate's reach will give him problems

Conor will just kick nicks body a lot. Mark my words; his kicks will be a big part of the game plan.

Yes. Siver was prepared but very undersized.

Nate is oversized but unprepared.

Those are facts. It's not Conors fault. Replacement fights are sometimes not as exciting as the original. Once the belt was out of the equation, the interest won't be the same.

The silver lining is that this is probably the only chance at this fight. Nate doesn't win consistently enough to earn that fight other than on short notice.

And they're both, stylistically, the easiest match-ups Conor could have chosen from top available fighters. It just feels like a gimme fight.

It is a wasted fight in general. Not just for Conor. This fight could've been very interesting if both fighter's were given time to prepare for each others style. Nate showed arguably his best shape yet in the Michael Johnson fight and now chose to fight at welterweight due to the short notice. I think that just goes to show you how this fight could have been.

To be honest, I'm still wondering how things may have went if Mendes fought Conor with a full camp, and although that has been made into somewhat as a cliche argument here, it is still a very valid one IMO.

so this isn't another perfect stylistic matchup for Conor?

Diaz is a hundred times the fight that Siver is. I have McGregor winning this one, but it's going to be interesting to see how he deals with a taller fighter with a longer reach, not to mention Diaz brings it everytime he fights.

so this isn't another perfect stylistic matchup for Conor?
No, it ain't. It's at WW, Nate is a lot bigger and has longer reach, is durable and has great cardio. Far from a gimme fight.

... And I'm one of the biggest McGregor nuthuggers on here

Diaz is a hundred times the fight that Siver is. I have McGregor winning this one, but it's going to be interesting to see how he deals with a taller fighter with a longer reach, not to mention Diaz brings it everytime he fights.

A ten days notice Diaz, though? I'm glad you can get interested in it. It just feels like a foregone conclusion to me. Conor tko within 3 rounds. I'd love an upset though.

No, it ain't. It's at WW, Nate is a lot bigger and has longer reach, is durable and has great cardio. Far from a gimme fight.

... And I'm one of the biggest McGregor nuthuggers on here

What about Nate's style makes you think being bigger will help him against Conor? maybe if he had wrestling and he could actually use his size against Conor, but he doesn't. His size will only make him seem even slower and conor will style all over him. I'm not even a conor fan. It's just another gimme fight.

A ten days notice Diaz, though? I'm glad you can get interested in it. It just feels like a foregone conclusion to me. Conor tko within 3 rounds. I'd love an upset though.

Good point, I guess we'll find out how in shape Diaz stays between fights. I don't see his cardio being an issue, but at the same time i don't see him coming in with any real game plan to handle Mcgregor, I see him fighting how he normally does, lots of volume and trying to get in Mcgregors face, which is what intrigues me the most as I expect Mcgregor to get in Diaz' face as well. I think it has the potential to be a wild one, but I guess we'll find out in 10 days!

And they're both, stylistically, the easiest match-ups Conor could have chosen from top available fighters. It just feels like a gimme fight.

Of course its a gimme fight. 2 of his last 3 fights were against short notice opponents. What was Nate's last fight? It was against MJ at 155. Nate refused to take the fight unless it was at 165 because he is likely out of shape. If McGregor really wanted to show he is the king of the universe even at 170 why didn't he just call out Wonderboy? I'm sure Wonderboy would have taken that million dollar fight in a heartbeat and then beat wholesale ass on McGregor. Why did he refuse Pettis and Khabib? The reason is because Nate is no threat of takedown, has pillow hands and can't KO anyone, and is probably out of shape. Its a squash match of the highest order.

I'm not even saying Nate can't win, he can, this is mixed martial arts. Its just that they chose the guy they thought was the easiest path to victory so the RDA fight doesn't get messed up.

Not really TBH.

First Nate is a weight class above. Second he can take some shots and has way more tools than Sivir. Third Nate is also a master in playing mind games. I can imagine that if Conor can't put Diaz away after the first he might get frustrated.

I only hope Diaz is in somewhat shape to fight. As long as he doesn't run out of gas it will be a great fight to watch.

Your reasoning would be great if it was a full camp diaz, not a short notice diaz.

What about Nate's style makes you think being bigger will help him against Conor? maybe if he had wrestling and he could actually use his size against Conor, but he doesn't. His size will only make him seem even slower and conor will style all over him. I'm not even a conor fan. It's just another gimme fight.
Nate has longer reach, he likes to keep distance with jabs.

Heck, his older brother, Nick Diaz was able to knock Robbie Lawler out COLD with a jab.

Nate has a solid chin and can take damage. He just beat m Johnson, who is a top LW contender.

McGregor has NEVER fought at WW.

Diaz is way ahead of Siver in skill and entertaining value, but, this is not the fight we were waiting for tho.

It is a wasted fight in general. Not just for Conor. This fight could've been very interesting if both fighter's were given time to prepare for each others style. Nate showed arguably his best shape yet in the Michael Johnson fight and now chose to fight at welterweight due to the short notice. I think that just goes to show you how this fight could have been.

To be honest, I'm still wondering how things may have went if Mendes fought Conor with a full camp, and although that has been made into somewhat as a cliche argument here, it is still a very valid one IMO.

It's a valid argument for sure, but you won't find many people around here to talk to about it, unfortunately. At least A short notice mendes still had the stylistic threat to Conor....Nate doesn't even offer that. It just feels like another gimme fight.

Back