Does it feel like Conor vs. Siver all over again?

Nah, it's gonna be waaay sweeter when Nate wins, than if it was RDA. I mean we all knew RDA was gonna stomp Conor. This will be funny!

Nate has longer reach, he likes to keep distance with jabs.

Heck, his older brother, Nick Diaz was able to knock Robbie Lawler out COLD with a jab.

Nate has a solid chin and can take damage. He just beat m Johnson, who is a top LW contender.

McGregor has NEVER fought at WW.

Nate Diaz is weak against kicks and he's slow, especially at welter weight. Conor's kicking game is a large part of hs game and so is his speed. I feel like you're doing what I said in my original post; reaching and digging deep trying to make a ten days notice diaz seem like a plausible threat to Conor. I'm glad you're interested, though. At least one fanbase is enjoying these matches.

Nate Diaz is weak against kicks and he's slow, especially at welter weight. Conor's kicking game is a large part of hs game and so is his speed. I feel like you're doing what I said in my original post; reaching and digging deep trying to make a ten days notice diaz seem like a plausible threat to Conor. I'm glad you're interested, though. At least one fanbase is enjoying these matches.
I'm not, Diaz can hurt and damage a lot of fighters. McGregor has never fought at WW. Diaz's strikes are going to be harder than anything McGregor has ever felt.

Of course its a gimme fight. 2 of his last 3 fights were against short notice opponents. What was Nate's last fight? It was against MJ at 155. Nate refused to take the fight unless it was at 165 because he is likely out of shape. If McGregor really wanted to show he is the king of the universe even at 170 why didn't he just call out Wonderboy? I'm sure Wonderboy would have taken that million dollar fight in a heartbeat and then beat wholesale ass on McGregor. Why did he refuse Pettis and Khabib? The reason is because Nate is no threat of takedown, has pillow hands and can't KO anyone, and is probably out of shape. Its a squash match of the highest order.

I'm not even saying Nate can't win, he can, this is mixed martial arts. Its just that they chose the guy they thought was the easiest path to victory so the RDA fight doesn't get messed up.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy. I noticed a lot of hype around here for this fight already and I couldn't get into it. Even my brother is into this fight, and I'm just like "nah." Honestly, the only thing I'm interested in is seeing what kind of shape a welter weight conor is in.

I'm having a hard time getting excited for this fight. People really need to reach and dig to find reasons to make them logically think that a 10 days notice Diaz is going to threaten Conor. It feels like another wasted fight for Conor, just like the Siver fight; A stylistic gift wrapped fight for Conor.

Are you guys underwhelmed?
Nate is a much tougher fight than Siver in so many ways. For one it will be interesting to see how McGregor does vs someone he doesn't tower over. Also, Nate is a submission threat.

But ya, it sucks it's on like a week's notice and Nate was probably smoking a bong when he got the call.

Nate is a much tougher fight than Siver in so many ways. For one it will be interesting to see how McGregor does vs someone he doesn't tower over. Also, Nate is a submission threat.

But ya, it sucks it's on like a week's notice and Nate was probably smoking a bong when he got the call.

I'm not so sure that a short notice Diaz is a bigger threat than a full camp Siver. He'll certainly be able to take a harder punch than Siver, though.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy. I noticed a lot of hype around here for this fight already and I couldn't get into it. Even my brother is into this fight, and I'm just like "nah." Honestly, the only thing I'm interested in is seeing what kind of shape a welter weight conor is in.

He isn't Welter, not even close. Conor was training to fight RDA at 155. The jump from Lightweight to Welter is a huge 15 pounds of muscle. McGregor is 5'9", these 2 guys are 5'9" Welters.

20140521121335_IMG_2925.JPG

20140729072307_1MG_1555.JPG

That doesn't take into account the larger Welters than these two, like 6'0" Wonderboy, 6'1" Carlos Condit, Rory Mac, and even Lawler would dwarf McGregor. That is the whole joke of calling this a Welter fight, it isn't. Both Nate and McGregor are 155'ers.

He isn't Welter, not even close. Conor was training to fight RDA at 155. The jump from Lightweight to Welter is a huge 15 pounds of muscle. McGregor is 5'9", these 2 guys are 5'9" Welters.

20140521121335_IMG_2925.JPG

20140729072307_1MG_1555.JPG

That doesn't take into account the larger Welters than these two, like 6'0" Wonderboy, 6'1" Carlos Condit, Rory Mac, and even Lawler would dwarf McGregor. That is the whole joke of calling this a Welter fight, it isn't. Both Nate and McGregor are 155'ers.

Yeah. I guess I should have said the only thing I'm interested in is seeing Conor perform at his natural weight.

Your reasoning would be great if it was a full camp diaz, not a short notice diaz.

That's why I hope Diaz is in somewhat shape. He hasn't fought that long ago and was on point vs. Johnson. So if he kept up his Marathon training or whatever he is doing in between fights, we r fine.

It's a valid argument for sure, but you won't find many people around here to talk to about it, unfortunately. At least A short notice mendes still had the stylistic threat to Conor....Nate doesn't even offer that. It just feels like another gimme fight.

To be honest, in some ways it does feel like a gimme fight. At the very least we can see how Conor will do in the welterweight division.

I'm having a hard time getting excited for this fight. People really need to reach and dig to find reasons to make them logically think that a 10 days notice Diaz is going to threaten Conor. It feels like another wasted fight for Conor, just like the Siver fight; A stylistic gift wrapped fight for Conor.

"10 days notice Diaz"
"Full camp Mendes"

I really hate the way the majority of MMA fans seem to think. 10 days notice is a factor but it doesn't define him. "10 days notice Diaz" is still vastly more similar to "full camp Diaz" than he is any other fighter, e.g. "12 days notice Mendes".

It's just one factor in a big list of factors. The way Conor and Nate match up stylistically is much more important, and will likely decide the fight. Attaching the label to the name grants it more importance than it deserves. It'd be better to refer to him as "volume striker Diaz" generally, not that that'd be relevant in your main post.

And no, this isn't similar to Siver because the stylistic matchup is so different. The only similarity is that Diaz and Siver are both strikers. They have polar opposites body types. Diaz is the most aggressive fighter Conor has ever fought, while Siver fought more defensively than any fighter Conor fought.

I agree that Diaz is a good stylistic matchup for Conor (not to the extent that Siver was, but he still is). However, the style matchup is only one reason why this fight was made. The major factors in making this fight were firstly the Diaz name and image and the trash talk seen in that press conference, and secondly Diaz's exciting style and how it matches up with Conor's.

And they're both, stylistically, the easiest match-ups Conor could have chosen from top available fighters. It just feels like a gimme fight.

To me, Cerrone is far and away the easier fight relative to Nate. Cerrone folds under the spotlight alone. (Not to mention his style is tailor made for Conor to exploit.)

It's definitely a better fight than Siver, but it's still not the best replacement by far. Diaz isn't the type of fighter who usually steps in on short notice and whenever he doesn't have optimal preparation he fights like garbage (i.e Thompson and RDA fights). The only encouraging thing is that the fight is at WW. Diaz's worst performances usually happen after he has problems making weight, hopefully something resembling his version against MJ will show up. After all 2 months is not long enough to horribly get out of shape.

Dennis Siver is 5'5...

To me, Cerrone is far and away the easier fight relative to Nate. Cerrone folds under the spotlight alone. (Not to mention his style is tailor made for Conor to exploit.)
This.

I cant believe people actually think Cerrone would be a tougher fight for Conor. Cerrone would fold after one body kick and it would be all over. 1st minute KO for Conor and a wasted $60 bucks for me

Short camp or not, Diaz will bring a bigger fight than the best version of Cerrone that we've ever seen

Diaz matches up a lot better with McGregor than Siver did, A LOT better.

This.

I cant believe people actually think Cerrone would be a tougher fight for Conor. Cerrone would fold after one body kick and it would be all over. 1st minute KO for Conor and a wasted $60 bucks for me

Short camp or not, Diaz will bring a bigger fight than the best version of Cerrone that we've ever seen

Agreed. I just don't understand how you can look at this situation and all of their respective portfolios and arrive at the conclusion that Cerrone is a threat to Conor, in any way. If you were going to design an opponent for Conor, it would look a great deal like Cerrone - an upright guy with poor hands and no headmovement and/or footwork.

I'm just happy Connor is fighting. Diaz is a good fighter, even though he is probably out of shape.

We should be grateful with what we get.

Back