Does having kids kill all your personal ambitions?

Every species wants to reproduce, that drive is what allows a species to exist. if you do not reproduce you sims replace that real desire with the manufactured one of essentially saving a bunch of money for no reason other than to give it to other peoples kids when you die.

No if anything it's made me more ambitious and wanting to better myself.

Just wait until you beam with uncontrollable love and pride for that little boy or girl that is a part of you. It's a powerful experience that you can't appreciate until it happens. Love at first sight is a myth except when it comes to your kids.

My two little girls make me melt.

Well, that's super duper and all, but it does not disprove what I said one bit. If anything it reinforces my statement.

I feel this attitude is born of instinct and not rationality. Also, note that I started with the qualifier "if".

There's many things which I hold dear, yet feel no need to ram it down anyone's throat. It's called obsessing, and is generally unhealthy in any context.

Every species wants to reproduce, that drive is what allows a species to exist. if you do not reproduce you sims replace that real desire with the manufactured one of essentially saving a bunch of money for no reason other than to give it to other peoples kids when you die.

Holy blanket statement, Batman! Can't someone just live with a desire to make the world a better place without the inherent urge to reproduce? Must this all boil down to compensating for the lack of having a child? Is this to say that the childless live a wasted existence?

Kids make everything better, man. Believe it.

For the first year or so it was hard for me to focus on anything but parenting. Now I've reclaimed parts of my life. Overall my ambitions are the same, I just have less time to pursue them.

Well...I'm going to give the cop out answer of: it depends.

Some people abandon all adult life to focus exclusively on their kids.

Some people abandon their burdensome kids to a nanny to pursue their career.

Some people balance their love for their children with their career aspirations.

It depends on what they do, whether they like parenthood, what kind of parents they had, what kind of support they have, what kind of financial resources they have...

So. I don't understand anyone giving an absolute answer to this. We all know people who make their children the be all and end all of their lives. We also all know people who barely see their kids in favour of work.

The kids become the most important thing. If they turn out bad you're just a straight up failure IMO. It's on you to help them be great.

But they shouldn't kill all personal ambition. Once again this is for the kids. They need to see their parents accomplish things and be driven. Set a fucking example, don't just coddle the little fuckers all day long.

Been thinking about this one a bit recently, especially after seeing Mike Tyson's video were he says his titles are "garbage" and all he cares about is seeing his kid's happy.

That's a great and mature sentiment, but it's actually a bit disconcerting. I'd rather not have my brain chemistry change to the point that it ignores all of my own goals or achievements or ambitions in favor of someone else, even if it is my kid. I'd like to have a child and raise them and help grow one day, but not if it means my brain will hit some sort-of "suicide switch" like that. Or, if it does, I would want to wait until much later in life.

I'd be a lot less concerned about this if Tyson had said the belts are still nice to him, but he also cares about his kids, rather than tossing them off completely and calling them nothing. Material things like that aren't everything, but making a better life for your family, reaching your potential, and achieving excellence in your career aren't "nothing," IMO. You should take pride in it and there's a part of me that's wary of any experience that might make you lose that.

On hunch I'm going to guess that Mike Tyson isn't the best at articulating his point. And that is probably that when you have kids it puts other things in your life into a different perspective. In my case anyway it has made me appreciate quality time spent with the people that matter to me much more. There are tons of people with children that are very ambitious. How many childless presidents have we had?

i don't know about that, ever since i've had a kid i've been more focus and successful at work and i'm working on one of my personal goals to run a marathon

I think the important thing here is to know that when you have kids some of your personal ambitions are put on hold or do go out the window altogether, but if you choose to have children you should go into it knowing this. If you do not then that is a you problem.

If someone does choose to have kids and realize they will not be able to acheive some of their personal goals then how important were those goals to begin with?

From my personal experience I chose to have children and knew that some of my personal goals would suffer, I later found that the personal goals I had and could not acheive do not seem to measure up at all to the feeling of accomplishment I get being a parent.

There a lot of moms in the office I work in.
One thing I see a lot is that they all use it as an excuse to work less and go home early.

I hate them. I know a lot of other people use their kids as an excuse too.

Honestly my mother was a workaholic and never around when I was a kid, me and my siblings were alone all the time when we were kids. She became a very succesfull businesswoman when she was 40 years old and is now the boss of a company.

I managed to get pretty far in life honestly myself. I think parents just baby their kids way too much imo.

So...you give up your life to live vicariously through others. Sounds like giving up on yourself to me.

what life do people give up? Im 29 and dont have kids, but I really dont see what i would give up thats worth much once i have kids. I just laugh when people who dont have kids pretend like they are living this wonderful life. I mean all you can do is go out on the weekends and get drunk and party.....except that what do people give up. And i have reached an age where I have done enough of that. Lately Im starting to think that maybe I will be those lame 40+ with no kids who go clubbing looking for one night stands.....If I dont have a family of my own in the future, then whats the point? All everyone I know my age do is work 5 days a week for a shitty company who couldnt give fuck about them and get drunk on the weekends. it really isnt that meaningful life when you think about it

i think that one should have kids when dreams have already been realized. if not, then making those dreams come into fruition becomes a lot more difficult due to having more responsibilities.

I have a friend who was basically raised by nanny's because his parents were so focused on their careers. Needless to say he is a little F'd up.

Not good- about 1/2 the kids in my area are raised my nannys. We even have weekend nannys and nannies dropping kids off at daycare now.

i think that one should have kids when dreams have already been realized. if not, then making those dreams come into fruition becomes a lot more difficult due to having more responsibilities.

sometimes dreams wont realize and 99.9% of people dont realize their dream. We settle for jobs and careers we are content with.

Back