Does Eddie's loss prove the UFC isn't as deep as it seems?

NgPHwyj.png

no it just proves that dana ufc have more control of the outcome of things

ufc dana knew rda was having trouble making 55 thats why conor got inst title shot

why would eddie get a title shot against rda after going 2-1? with those two wins being boring decision there where so many 55ers that were more deserving than eddie at that time

if either chinny eddie or struggle to make weight rda won it would be a win win for dana once conor vs nate 2 was done

giphy.gif

why would eddie get a title shot against rda after going 2-1? with those two wins being boring decision there where so many 55ers that were more deserving than eddie at that time

Eddie beat Gilbert(SF LW Champion). When they weren't in the UFC, many people wondered who would win if they fought.

Strikeforce open to Bellator co-promotion, Gilbert Melendez vs. Eddie Alvarez: A potential fight...
posted by Nick Thomas on May 17, 2010

wvx2f7.jpg

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/5/17/1476096/strikeforce-open-to-bellator-co

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/ufc-188-eddie-alvarez-vs-gilbert-melendez-pbp-discussion.3009241/

Before loosing to Eddie, Gilbert had only lost to Benson & Pettis in Championship fights, in the UFC.

bdqa4nbccaiek7f.0.jpeg

ufc-181-crop.jpg

Eddie then beat Anthony Pettis. Pettis had just lost the LW belt to RDA and was the # 1 contender.

pettis%2Bvs%2Balvares.png

with those two wins being boring decision there where so many 55ers that were more deserving than eddie at that time

So after beating the # 1 contender, Eddie got the Title shot. And don't pretend that Khabib should have gotten the fight. At that time, his only big win was RDA and he had only fought once in the last 2 years. That is why Eddie got the Title shot.

Eddie got hurt in his last fight. That is why he lost. Watch the fight. When he got hit in the eye, you quickly can see that something is very wrong.

skip to (4:00)

Eddie-Alvarez-ONE-Championship-debut-injuries-748x370.jpg

Timofey is a well practicioned professional MMA fighter from Russia training with beasts.

These 4oz gloves we talking man, every able swinging puncher literally has a chance.

Btw, you see the oics of Eddie’s eyelids that dude busted in one of those shots? Shit happens in there.

Eddie Alvarez, who is a former UFC lightweight champ, just got demolished in the first round by a random fighter from Singapore. This got me thinking about depth of talent around the world. Traditionally the sport has been centered around the USA market and has been dominated by mainly USA fighters, but what if as MMA becomes more and more international, we start seeing the ONE and other promotions start to get elite fighters from remote locations?

I always wondered if like some dude in a bar in Kazakhstan, or China who could just have their way with modern fighters. Kind of like how BJJ changed the entire game, I wonder if there is some style that has yet to be tested or scene in modern MMA.

I think it proves how overrated Alvarez is.

Ufc rejected Brandon Vera is the current onefc heavyweight champ, so it's safe to say that ufc is still much deeper. And Eddie chin is just shot, he's been through many wars and been Ko'd few times
Add Rory McDonald, Mousasi, Bader.
Bellator
HW - Mitrione, Kongo, Sonnen, Kongo, Rampage
LHW - Bader, Davis
MW - Mousasi
WW- Rory, Fitch, Daley , Larkin
LW - Bendo

These guys on the most part went over on losing streaks and now dominate the second biggest MMA promotion.
Obvious exceptions

For me, it just confirms what I already believed, Eddie Alvarez is overrated. The guy got a title shot with a 2-1 record in the UFC. He fought Conor McGregor on a 3-1 record in the UFC. The way Conor finished him, told that me that I was not far off with my initial assessment of his quality.

You must not think very highly of the bums he KO'd: RDA and Gaethje.

He’s 35 now
He was 32 when he fought Conor
Conor took his soul, Dustin took the rest

Nah (IMO). He’s just flawed and inconsistent. Lost to Cerrone, snoozer win against Pettis, almost stopped by Poirier twice, fun back and forth wars with Melendez and Gaethje, and a big performance kind of out of nowhere against RDA. He’s looked blah plenty of times. Against guys who can crack it tends to get him knocked out.

A lot goes into the making of a champion. A champion, or even a top level contender in the UFC, needs more than just high-level skill. They also need good helpings of...
1. experience/wisdom
2. hunger
3. endurance/perseverance
4. a good gameplan
I think Eddie was missing some of the above in his ONE debut.

Jarl

It's not a question of depth but more that other organizations have top level talent as well. And more specifically, it was a style match up that wasn't great for Eddie. Nastuykhen has good striking and power and Eddie stood with him.

Fighters can be done at any time under the right circumstances.

Rousey vs. Cain.

Rousey vs. Floyd.

Eddie Alvarez, who is a former UFC lightweight champ, just got demolished in the first round by a random fighter from Singapore. This got me thinking about depth of talent around the world. Traditionally the sport has been centered around the USA market and has been dominated by mainly USA fighters, but what if as MMA becomes more and more international, we start seeing the ONE and other promotions start to get elite fighters from remote locations?

I always wondered if like some dude in a bar in Kazakhstan, or China who could just have their way with modern fighters. Kind of like how BJJ changed the entire game, I wonder if there is some style that has yet to be tested or scene in modern MMA.

No really just makes Conor look bad because that was his only impressive win since leaving 145. Eddie didn't deserve to fight for the UFC title, he was fast tracked because he was a Bellator champ that the UFC had to pay a fortune to poach. Lost to Cerrone then won two straight split decision over guys who are irelevant at 155 today to get his shot. Says more about Bellator's quality than the UFC's. UFC's 155 has(or had) at least a half dozen guys who should have been favored to beat Eddie probably more like 10(Khabib, Tony, Dustin, Max, G, Lee, Big Al, Barboza, Cerrone, Conor, Johnson that's 11). So him getting beat in One FC says nothing.

You could use the age excuse but the truth is Eddie never really proved he was on the same level as the best of this generation of 155'ers, struggled against a group of guys who are clearly not the best in the division. Cerrone, RAD and Pettis all had to leave the division because they weren't relevant anymore. Melendez went 1-5 and had to leave the UFC altogether. Conor was getting a title shot in his first 155 fight. If you give an undeserving fighter a title shot and they become champ they aren't speaking for the division.

Last edited:
What surprised me most is that Eddie was the smaller guy. The heck. I was expecting the opposite.

Was not surprised Eddie got beat up, 1) Eddie’s age and mileage, 2) That Central Asian Russian Timofey is nasty; lots of power in his hands.

He beat the just bleed god not too long ago. He probably wasn't used to fighting in Japan after so many years. New weight class, and other parameters etc etc.

I always wondered how Americans would do if they go overseas and are not allowed to cut too much weight. In nearly every combat sport, whether MT, Lethwei, Boxing, KB, or MMA, they nearly always are the bigger guys come fight time.

I still feel that if Matt Hughes had fought Sakurai on neutral grounds (or even in the UFC) but not permitted to cut weight and they both weigh the same (or no more than a 2-3 lbs difference) Sakurai would have defeated Hughes. But because Hughes had such a size advantage (and thus strength), Sakurai could not overcome it with his skills.

Why I’m mentioning the above... Well because Eddie was the smaller guy against his One FC opponent and so got handled. Mighty Mouse also looked to be a tad smaller than his opponent and thus had a hard time. Sure MM won, but he struggled up until that beautiful choke. The no name random Japanese guy actually did pretty good imo, better than some UFC opponents.

Perhaps Amrican/UFC fighters are not as good when size advantage is eliminated (and/or when they are the smaller guys)?

Alvarez has had a great career, fantastic overall resume. On a good day, under the right cirumstances, he was capable of beating any LW at that time (around the time of the RDA fight). But he is also capable of losing to any top 10 LW, even back in his prime. He's also been in lots of wars, & apparently the guy he fought is known for power punches. I think Matt Serra is awesome, but I mean this respectfully, if Serra can TKO GSP (the GOAT IMO), then anything is possible in MMA. Upsets happen in MMA much more because there are so many different ways to lose, to end a fight.

Eddie Juiced I think. Relied to heavily on the ped advantage and less on training skill set.

Well to be fair, OneFC's heavyweight champ Brandon Vera got mauled by Jon Jones

Eddie's biggest advantage over most guys at that level is that he's actually a very good grappler and a very good striker. He went out and just struck with a guy who's pretty much a striker... doesn't leave a lot of room to put all that high level experience to work. He fought like this was some guy he could just walk out there and KO. You're not gonna find too many kickboxers with spotless records -- going out there just kickboxing with everyone you're gonna take some losses.

As to the caliber of these no name guys, I've been super impressed with the guys coming off the contenders series. To get a high ranking, you need to win several big fights, and it takes time to get into that position. By the time you reach the top 10, you could've had the skills to be top 10 or champ for a couple years. One must never confuse rankings for a measure of skill. You see lower ranked guys listed as favorites over higher ranked guys in the betting lines all the time.
The guy was 3-2 in the UFC... and had been in wars from the start of his career... Not like Khabib went over there and got starched.
Yeah and I actually thought he should've been 1-4

Last edited:
Back