Does Eddie's loss prove the UFC isn't as deep as it seems?

Nah man. Alvarez did absolutely nothing that fight.

Would still expect him to win a rematch though.

Eddie was landing and staying patient..probably too patient and that is probably why he got caught

Next fight he'll feel more comfortable in one

No, but it shows that the UFC isn't the only pool of talent in MMA. Eddie isn't the first guy to lose to a huge underdog.

All it proves is that anyone can get beaten with the right punch.

He’s 35 now
He was 32 when he fought Conor
Conor took his soul, Dustin took the rest

This was after the Conor fight...

OptimalRawEyas-max-14mb.gif

So was this...

RevolvingEasygoingArgusfish-size_restricted.gif
RevolvingEasygoingArgusfish-size_restricted.gif

What is the difference between the knees??? A hand on the mat??? So what???

giphy.gif

Conor McGregor is an amazing fighter. A lot of people seem to forget that.

giphy.gif

Conor%2BMcGregor%2Bvs%2BDustin%2BPoirier%2B2%2B(1).gif

UnitedBraveIvorybackedwoodswallow-size_restricted.gif

PlaintiveHandsomeGlobefish-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Eddie's been fighting for 16 years.

He was consistently a top 5 fighter for a decade.

But, I don't think he has It in him to take punishment anymore. He's getting up there In age..and unfortunately as Dana said, this is the last contract of his career.

The Gaethje fight was a great performance, probably the last one he had In him though. His boxing looked solid, body work was solid and he all around outclassed him.

Even In the poirier fights I don't think he looked great though. In either of them. At this point, probably a clear Indication that he's In the twilight of his career.

Eddie hasn't been worth a crap for a long time, even before the Conor fight.

He was 4-2 in the ufc.

Two of those three wins were split decisions where he wall n' stalled his way to a contested victory.

Ive always thought RDA beats him 9 out of 10 times and that eddie got a little lucky.

Then he beat gathje.

And yes, there's some really gopd fighters outside of the ufc.

NgPHwyj.png

no it just proves that dana ufc have more control of the outcome of things

ufc dana knew rda was having trouble making 55 thats why conor got inst title shot

why would eddie get a title shot against rda after going 2-1? with those two wins being boring decision there where so many 55ers that were more deserving than eddie at that time

if either chinny eddie or struggle to make weight rda won it would be a win win for dana once conor vs nate 2 was done

True, but he was 3-2 against the UFCs elite and was champ. He wasn't a journeyman. But you aren't wrong about those wars though. I think Gaethje took a lot out of Eddy. After fighting Gayjay fighters should take a year off and travel or something.
yeah that's a fair point. Gaethje was his last really good performance, he looked better In that fight than In a long time.

might've been the straw that broke the camels back though. Don't think he looked great In either of the Poirier fights after that. He's been fighting for 16 years, at some point you just can't take anymore.

Just saw the fight now and gotta say wow that shit was fuckin nasty

His style has never been indicative of being dominant. Has good wrestling but mainly stands up, and isn't the greatest at standup. Plenty guys out there are gonna starch him and likewise there's plenty guys he'll beat. Couple that with being older than ever, more shop worn than ever - Eddie ain't getting any better and the toughness that got him through some beatings dissipates.

And he knew that, hence the move to ONE FC for some big money in the twilight of his career. Can't blame the guy.

Conor didn't cherry pick anything lol.

Guess you forgot that he called out the Lightweight Champion when RDA was still carrying the belt. Then RDA pulled out of their scheduled fight at 196, which led to Diaz taking his place instead. He had no way of knowing Alvarez or anyone else would beat him before he got the title shot again.
U act like either 1 of those dudes is a champion calibre fighter.. Both RDA and Eddie got lucky because anyone who mattered was tied up in fights or injured at the time, eddie got his title shot of a fight he lost but you know, the judges gifting free wins to people. Look at my thread history from that time, i made threads saying that Eddie was one of the worst LW champions and that Conor will smash him and he did, yet people kept arguing with me.

Eddie Alvarez, who is a former UFC lightweight champ, just got demolished in the first round by a random fighter from Singapore. This got me thinking about depth of talent around the world. Traditionally the sport has been centered around the USA market and has been dominated by mainly USA fighters, but what if as MMA becomes more and more international, we start seeing the ONE and other promotions start to get elite fighters from remote locations?

I always wondered if like some dude in a bar in Kazakhstan, or China who could just have their way with modern fighters. Kind of like how BJJ changed the entire game, I wonder if there is some style that has yet to be tested or scene in modern MMA.
You're using an instance to prove a point despite multiple proofs saying otherwise. David Branch was dominating in WSOF, two division champ then became a gatekeeper at best in the UFC. Ryan Bader was a mid-top ten LHW with seemingly no chance of ever being champ and maybe not even making it to the title to two division champ in Bellator. Bellator especially consists of former UFC champs. You could argue that Moose could be champ in the UFC but he had a pretty fortunate run before leaving. Rory got handily beaten by Wonderboy. Guchi got beaten by MM then left and is dominating. If you look at a lot of the top talent in many of the other organizations they are former UFC fighter who either got cut or left because they would likely never be champion so the earning potential was better else where.

One loss decent prove anything, but if you think MMA begins and ends with the UFC you’re wrong, it’s a big world out there, lots of talent and very few formal mechanisms for recruitment, so not every good fighter makes it to the UFC.

The UFC has never been as deep as Dana makes it seem. From Pride to Strikeforce to now, etc etc etc.

Eddie Alvarez, who is a former UFC lightweight champ, just got demolished in the first round by a random fighter from Singapore. This got me thinking about depth of talent around the world. Traditionally the sport has been centered around the USA market and has been dominated by mainly USA fighters, but what if as MMA becomes more and more international, we start seeing the ONE and other promotions start to get elite fighters from remote locations?

I always wondered if like some dude in a bar in Kazakhstan, or China who could just have their way with modern fighters. Kind of like how BJJ changed the entire game, I wonder if there is some style that has yet to be tested or scene in modern MMA.
When WEC fighters moved to the UFC, that bubble was burst. Probably today newer fans didn't just forget that lesson; they never learned it in the first place.

But what's happening with Eddie Alvarez this week is probably not that. Instead, I suggest it's more like what happened when Gegard Mousasi went to Bellator. He eked out his first fight barely, and 3/4 of sherdoggers thought it proved he sucked. Then he won the next two fights and 3/4 of sherdoggers think he's the best MW in the world.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Never take sherdog opinion seriously the week after a fight.

U act like either 1 of those dudes is a champion calibre fighter.. Both RDA and Eddie got lucky because anyone who mattered was tied up in fights or injured at the time, eddie got his title shot of a fight he lost but you know, the judges gifting free wins to people. Look at my thread history from that time, i made threads saying that Eddie was one of the worst LW champions and that Conor will smash him and he did, yet people kept arguing with me.

RDA certainly was, he was on a killer win streak at the time. People were starting to already consider him possibly the greatest Lightweight ever before his loss to Eddie.

Eddie may have been a good style match up for Conor, but that still speaks volumes to Conor's ability as a striker. Not just anyone can do to someone what Conor did. And you can't accuse McGregor of avoiding the Lightweight Champion until a good style matchup came along, because he obviously chose to wait until only after he won the FW Title to chase after the gold.

Not really, Eddie wasn’t in the ufc for that long and despite winning a title his performances weren’t great. It’s just proves that his win I’ve RDA was a fluke and he’s a fringe top 15 LW

Contrary to what some would want you to believe, the much maligned unwashed masses that can be found on Sherdog knew exactly who Eddie Alvarez was, all along.

Kind of like how BJJ changed the entire game, I wonder if there is some style that has yet to be tested or scene in modern MMA.
What game was entirely changed by Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Got starched by Conor
Tons of Damage twice versus Dustin
Tons of damage versus Justin..

Dude is shot..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back