Does Eddie's loss prove the UFC isn't as deep as it seems?

Eddie was 4-3 with 1 NC in the UFC and he's 35.
It's not like he was getting any younger or better and it's not like he hadn't knocked out before.
That was his 3rd TKO loss in his last 5 fights.
4-3 … BJ Nod... Was giving him some credit with the two loses. But like mentioned, Ed has never been known for head movement and defense...

Timofey was 3-3 in his last 6 and wasnt a top 5 ONE fighter.

Alvarez went 4-3-1 in the UFC.

His loss doesn't say much of anything about the UFC's depth.

Alvarez is 35 and had many wars.
Gaethje, koed by Poirier (nearly twice), Conor ko, 2 fights with Chandler
His 16th year as pro fighter

Shinya Aoki, the guy got destroyed by Melendez is the current onefc lightweight champ. Aoki wouldn't even crack the top 10 in the UFC lightweight division
Melendez was juicing

Also, when Aoki was on top in Dream like back in 08, dream arguably had more world top 10 ranked lightweights than the UFC. Don't discount Hansen, Cavalcante, Kawajiri at the time, Alvarez. Along with Riberio and Ishida right outside the top 10.

Meanwhile the UFC had Penn, Sherk, and Florian.

A fighter is a fighter no matter whay org he is in.

This loss was real unlike when he fell over from Connie's exceptionally weak punches.

Eddie Alvarez, who is a former UFC lightweight champ, just got demolished in the first round by a random fighter from Singapore. This got me thinking about depth of talent around the world. Traditionally the sport has been centered around the USA market and has been dominated by mainly USA fighters, but what if as MMA becomes more and more international, we start seeing the ONE and other promotions start to get elite fighters from remote locations?

I always wondered if like some dude in a bar in Kazakhstan, or China who could just have their way with modern fighters. Kind of like how BJJ changed the entire game, I wonder if there is some style that has yet to be tested or scene in modern MMA.

He wasnt demolished

U didnt watch it and are spreading propaganda eddie was wining and got caught

it proves eddie is done
physically has was done before UFC and now he is completely mentally checked out
conor took his soul
I am conflicted, but I'm in similar thought territory.

When alvarez came over, i didn't know him, so i watched his fights, err, wars with Chandler. When he came over, he lost typ cerrone, right? Thats when i realized how hitable he is, despite his "fast recovery. " You see, in the world of early stoppages, if you get hit and you appear badly going down, it doesn't matter how fast you recover. Truth is the guy always looks bad when he's hit.

Insert conor and you see Conor doing what he does best, talking shit and handing out SOFT tkos. Eddie gets hit, goes down as usual, and you kinda cant be surprised.

Eddie surprised me a shit ton when he survived gay-chee.

this is the reason I would love to see some cross promotion fights.

we will never know who the greatest of all time is, if they never fight each other.

ufc does a good job at securing top talent, they also do a good job of watching it walk away.

they couldn't possibly scout the whole globe for top talent.

the ufc doesn't need or have the very best fighters anymore,

they have the sheeple in the us convinced they already do.

its more about entertainment than martial arts or sport at this point.

For me, it just confirms what I already believed, Eddie Alvarez is overrated. The guy got a title shot with a 2-1 record in the UFC. He fought Conor McGregor on a 3-1 record in the UFC. The way Conor finished him, told that me that I was not far off with my initial assessment of his quality.

It could just prove that the guy that beat him belongs in the UFC... <seedat>

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that if a promotion is less prominent than the UFC that its fighters must be less talented as well, but that isn't the case. That is a false correlation. These lesser known promotions might have some real killers in them, it's just that UFC hasn't taken notice yet (or the fighters themselves have no interest in going there.)

He wasnt demolished

U didnt watch it and are spreading propaganda eddie was wining and got caught
Nah man. Alvarez did absolutely nothing that fight.

Would still expect him to win a rematch though.

Another thing to consider is these smaller organizations do not do much drug testing. If Eddie came in clean he was foolish. Even MM looked way more jacked than his days in the UFC. Got to get with the program to compete with the guys jacked on PEDs.

All it proves is that Eddie got gifted a title shot, got lucky to win it, and was the least talnted LW champion ever, which is why Conor picking to go to LW made all the sense in the world at that time because that was one of the easiest fights for him of his career and him being a smart fight/business man he clearly saw an opportunity.

This is very similar to how Khabib wants Max Holloway, because he knows Max is much smaller then he is, will be easy to ragdoll and lay ontop of, Max also has no bjj threat unlike someone like Nate or Tony would present, and has no wrestling because Max is used to overpowering other FW to defend his takedowns and not actually using teqchnique to defend them.

Conor didn't cherry pick anything lol.

Guess you forgot that he called out the Lightweight Champion when RDA was still carrying the belt. Then RDA pulled out of their scheduled fight at 196, which led to Diaz taking his place instead. He had no way of knowing Alvarez or anyone else would beat him before he got the title shot again.

Back