Does Eddie's loss prove the UFC isn't as deep as it seems?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
Eddie Alvarez, who is a former UFC lightweight champ, just got demolished in the first round by a random fighter from Singapore. This got me thinking about depth of talent around the world. Traditionally the sport has been centered around the USA market and has been dominated by mainly USA fighters, but what if as MMA becomes more and more international, we start seeing the ONE and other promotions start to get elite fighters from remote locations?

I always wondered if like some dude in a bar in Kazakhstan, or China who could just have their way with modern fighters. Kind of like how BJJ changed the entire game, I wonder if there is some style that has yet to be tested or scene in modern MMA.

I’m more inclined to say that it reminds us that (1) there’s more talent out there than we probably realize; and (2) the margin between winning at the highest level and coming up short on the second tier circuit isn’t as large as we sometimes think.

He’s took a lot of damage like Gaethje.. Just one of them has a better chin afterwards.

it proves eddie is done
physically has was done before UFC and now he is completely mentally checked out
conor took his soul

At the end of the day, they are all fighters made of flesh and blood. There is always a possibility someone like Khabib goes to some russian MMA event and gets KOed by some local talent. Unlikely? Yeah. Impossible? No.

Not long ago, bellator's BW champ (Caldwell) got submitted by Horiguchi in Rizin.
I know Horiguchi used to fight for UFC, but he wasn't champ and he is in a japanese event now.

The guy was 3-2 in the UFC... and had been in wars from the start of his career... Not like Khabib went over there and got starched.

I’m more inclined to say that it reminds us that (1) there’s more talent out there than we probably realize; and (2) the margin between winning at the highest level and coming up short on the second tier circuit isn’t as large as we sometimes think.

Yeah, I think because of all the can crushers, or 0-4 pro fighters, we get the perception that regional fighters are cans, when in reality they just are not on PEDs and don't do it for money like top tier fighters do. Some of them are actually very skilled.

He’s 35 now
He was 32 when he fought Conor
Conor took his soul, Dustin took the rest

Eddie's UFC record isnt exactly special, he got the belt but lost it in his first title defense, overall UFC record is 4-3-1, that NC should had been another loss, and i consider his win over Pettis a robbery...Eddie is not the best example of how deep is the UFC.

Ufc rejected Brandon Vera is the current onefc heavyweight champ, so it's safe to say that ufc is still much deeper. And Eddie chin is just shot, he's been through many wars and been Ko'd few times

Pretty much yes. ONE fighters have been severely underrated by casuals.

It's more like a case of Eddie as fighter and speaks more about him then the UFC I guess, for example Bader is
doing just fine in Bellator.

All it proves is that Eddie got gifted a title shot, got lucky to win it, and was the least talnted LW champion ever, which is why Conor picking to go to LW made all the sense in the world at that time because that was one of the easiest fights for him of his career and him being a smart fight/business man he clearly saw an opportunity.

This is very similar to how Khabib wants Max Holloway, because he knows Max is much smaller then he is, will be easy to ragdoll and lay ontop of, Max also has no bjj threat unlike someone like Nate or Tony would present, and has no wrestling because Max is used to overpowering other FW to defend his takedowns and not actually using technique to defend them.

Last edited:
The guy was 3-2 in the UFC... and had been in wars from the start of his career... Not like Khabib went over there and got starched.
True, but he was 3-2 against the UFCs elite and was champ. He wasn't a journeyman. But you aren't wrong about those wars though. I think Gaethje took a lot out of Eddy. After fighting Gayjay fighters should take a year off and travel or something.

Eddie was 4-3 with 1 NC in the UFC and he's 35.
It's not like he was getting any younger or better and it's not like he hadn't knocked out before.
That was his 3rd TKO loss in his last 5 fights.

Ufc rejected Brandon Vera is the current onefc heavyweight champ, so it's safe to say that ufc is still much more stacked, and Eddie chin is just shot
HW is just 1 weight class...

If you are using specifically Alvarez as an illustration I think it's important to consider his style, age and milage. His style especially. A few hits in a different direction and his overall record or radically different. Still, i definitely agree that we are sort of blind to non UFC prospects and the skill levels of Asia and the Slavic regions. The world is deeper than the UFC would care to admit.

True, but he was 3-2 against the UFCs elite and was champ. He wasn't a journeyman. But you aren't wrong about those wars though. I think Gaethje took a lot out of Eddy. After fighting Gayjay fighters should take a year off and travel or something.

Well no it's not true he was 4-3 with 1 NC but the rest is fine.

HW is just 1 weight class...
Shinya Aoki, the guy got destroyed by Melendez is the current onefc lightweight champ. Aoki wouldn't even crack the top 10 in the UFC lightweight division

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back