Does Eddie's loss prove the UFC isn't as deep as it seems?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Legendary, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Legendary

Legendary Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ

Eddie Alvarez, who is a former UFC lightweight champ, just got demolished in the first round by a random fighter from Singapore. This got me thinking about depth of talent around the world. Traditionally the sport has been centered around the USA market and has been dominated by mainly USA fighters, but what if as MMA becomes more and more international, we start seeing the ONE and other promotions start to get elite fighters from remote locations?

I always wondered if like some dude in a bar in Kazakhstan, or China who could just have their way with modern fighters. Kind of like how BJJ changed the entire game, I wonder if there is some style that has yet to be tested or scene in modern MMA.

2. Mr Fahrenheit

Mr Fahrenheit Blue Belt

I’m more inclined to say that it reminds us that (1) there’s more talent out there than we probably realize; and (2) the margin between winning at the highest level and coming up short on the second tier circuit isn’t as large as we sometimes think.

3. Satan's Daddy.

Satan's Daddy. Yellow Belt

He’s took a lot of damage like Gaethje.. Just one of them has a better chin afterwards.

FWRGeorgie likes this.
  4. WHITE ANDERSON

WHITE ANDERSON Brown Belt

it proves eddie is done
    physically has was done before UFC and now he is completely mentally checked out
    conor took his soul

5. Subfighter

Subfighter Yellow Belt

At the end of the day, they are all fighters made of flesh and blood. There is always a possibility someone like Khabib goes to some russian MMA event and gets KOed by some local talent. Unlikely? Yeah. Impossible? No.

Not long ago, bellator's BW champ (Caldwell) got submitted by Horiguchi in Rizin.
    I know Horiguchi used to fight for UFC, but he wasn't champ and he is in a japanese event now.

6. Kung Fu Tze

Kung Fu Tze Intergalactic Cowboy... Staff Member Senior Moderator

The guy was 3-2 in the UFC... and had been in wars from the start of his career... Not like Khabib went over there and got starched.

7. Legendary

Legendary Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ

Yeah, I think because of all the can crushers, or 0-4 pro fighters, we get the perception that regional fighters are cans, when in reality they just are not on PEDs and don't do it for money like top tier fighters do. Some of them are actually very skilled.

Shcooby Dooby Doo and Bigsquid like this.
  8. Michael LDN

Michael LDN Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

He’s 35 now
    He was 32 when he fought Conor
    Conor took his soul, Dustin took the rest

9. El Fernas

El Fernas Red Belt

Eddie's UFC record isnt exactly special, he got the belt but lost it in his first title defense, overall UFC record is 4-3-1, that NC should had been another loss, and i consider his win over Pettis a robbery...Eddie is not the best example of how deep is the UFC.

10. Vegeta

Vegeta It's over 9000!

Yes

1pedestrian likes this.
  11. Fesaine

Fesaine Purple Belt

Ufc rejected Brandon Vera is the current onefc heavyweight champ, so it's safe to say that ufc is still much deeper. And Eddie chin is just shot, he's been through many wars and been Ko'd few times

12. 1pedestrian

1pedestrian Purple Belt

Pretty much yes. ONE fighters have been severely underrated by casuals.

13. tonil

tonil ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

It's more like a case of Eddie as fighter and speaks more about him then the UFC I guess, for example Bader is
    doing just fine in Bellator.

Skarsgard likes this.
  14. TomTomNT

TomTomNT Purple Belt

All it proves is that Eddie got gifted a title shot, got lucky to win it, and was the least talnted LW champion ever, which is why Conor picking to go to LW made all the sense in the world at that time because that was one of the easiest fights for him of his career and him being a smart fight/business man he clearly saw an opportunity.

This is very similar to how Khabib wants Max Holloway, because he knows Max is much smaller then he is, will be easy to ragdoll and lay ontop of, Max also has no bjj threat unlike someone like Nate or Tony would present, and has no wrestling because Max is used to overpowering other FW to defend his takedowns and not actually using technique to defend them.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  15. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

True, but he was 3-2 against the UFCs elite and was champ. He wasn't a journeyman. But you aren't wrong about those wars though. I think Gaethje took a lot out of Eddy. After fighting Gayjay fighters should take a year off and travel or something.

16. Congo66

Congo66 Red Belt

Eddie was 4-3 with 1 NC in the UFC and he's 35.
    It's not like he was getting any younger or better and it's not like he hadn't knocked out before.
    That was his 3rd TKO loss in his last 5 fights.

17. 1pedestrian

1pedestrian Purple Belt

HW is just 1 weight class...

18. Hookhooks

Hookhooks Yellow Belt

If you are using specifically Alvarez as an illustration I think it's important to consider his style, age and milage. His style especially. A few hits in a different direction and his overall record or radically different. Still, i definitely agree that we are sort of blind to non UFC prospects and the skill levels of Asia and the Slavic regions. The world is deeper than the UFC would care to admit.

19. Congo66

Congo66 Red Belt

Well no it's not true he was 4-3 with 1 NC but the rest is fine.

FWRGeorgie and IngaVovchanchyn like this.
  20. Fesaine

Fesaine Purple Belt

Shinya Aoki, the guy got destroyed by Melendez is the current onefc lightweight champ. Aoki wouldn't even crack the top 10 in the UFC lightweight division