Do you use gloves, wraps, or nothing?

Shoes have no place in a serious training program. A shoe is merely a piece of loose stuff between the foot and the ground, reducing balance and inhibiting the transmission of force from the legs to the floor. Shoes make the floor harder to stand steady on. The ones that incorporate high ankles prevent the ankle from getting used to training. The only legitimate use for a shoe is to cover an injury, like a torn callus or a cut, where the workout is important enough to do with the injury and it cannot be done without the covering. A desire to prevent callus formation does not constitute a legitimate use. If your gym makes a lot of money selling shoes, you have another reason to look for a different gym. And if you insist on using them, make sure they match your purse.

Clothes have no place in a serious training program. A piece of clothing is merely a piece of loose stuff between the body and the environment, reducing sweat production efficiency and increasing the effective weight used for bodyweight exercises. Clothes make benches harder to stick to. The ones that incorporate quik-dry(™) technology prevent the body from getting used to sweat management. The only legitimate use for a piece of clothing is to cover an injury, like a torn callus or a cut, where the workout is important enough to do with the injury and it cannot be done without the covering. A desire to prevent callus formation does not constitute a legitimate use. If your gym makes a lot of money selling clothing, you have another reason to look for a different gym. And if you insist on using them, MAKE SURE THEY MATCH YOUR PURSE.

Seriously all Rip did was think of a mildly clever line and build a completely ridiculous argument around it. If your reasoning for not wearing gloves is because they are "girly", you're an insecure loser.

Picturing me squatting naked is all the justification I need for training clothes.

Lol. Lifting barefoot or in extremely flat shoes is actually optimal and prevents injury.

Check rippetoe's actual stance on gloves for his reasons. Don't assume to know his position based on a one line joke quoted to you on the internet.

Someone wears gloves in this thread.

Lol. Lifting barefoot or in extremely flat shoes is actually optimal and prevents injury.

Check rippetoe's actual stance on gloves for his reasons. Don't assume to know his position based on a one line joke quoted to you on the internet.

Gloves have no place in a serious training program. A glove is merely a piece of loose stuff between the hand and the bar, reducing grip security and increasing the effective diameter of the bar. Gloves make bars harder to hold on to. The ones that incorporate a wrist wrap prevent the wrist from getting used to training. The only legitimate use for a glove is to cover an injury, like a torn callus or a cut, where the workout is important enough to do with the injury and it cannot be done without the covering. A desire to prevent callus formation does not constitute a legitimate use. If your gym makes a lot of money selling gloves, you have another reason to look for a different gym. And if you insist on using them, make sure they match your purse.

All I did was take that paragraph from Starting Strength about lifting gloves and change gloves for shoes/clothes. So it's pretty representative about his position.

I used to squat barefoot too, but I think oly shoes are more optimal. Plus most gyms won't allow you to squat barefoot.

Rippetoes claim that gloves "reduce grip security" and "make the bar harder to hold on to" is simply not true. I've tried them and can hold a far heavier bar with sticky gloves than I could with sweaty hands. I don't use them cause I want to work on my grip, but if somebody feels the need to use gloves I don't think it warrants the kind of reaction found in this thread.

I hear those are quite fashionable over in Europe. True?

Wouldn't know- I'm in New Zealand, which is literally the opposite side of the world. In fact, the polar opposite of my home would put me in rural Spain, just outside Madrid.

Rippetoes claim that gloves "reduce grip security" and "make the bar harder to hold on to" is simply not true. I've tried them and can hold a far heavier bar with sticky gloves than I could with sweaty hands. I don't use them cause I want to work on my grip, but if somebody feels the need to use gloves I don't think it warrants the kind of reaction found in this thread.

You ever tried just good ol' chalk? Fact of the matter is, more material between you and the bar means a thicker bar to hold, which does mean (eventually) that the glove may become a hindrance. A glove certainly beats sweaty hands, but have you ever compared how easy it is to hold onto a bar with gloves vs how easy it is to hold onto one with chalk?

In all fairness, this is a rather silly statement.

I'll admit, the number was rather arbitrary. I just imagined the TS gearing up for 135 with gloves and wraps just because he has "wrist issues."

Really it depends on strength levels. If you are have a better grip with gloves than a chalked over under grip, then it's likely your not pulling too much. There's no point in comparing gloves to "sweaty hands" when there's no reason to have sweaty hands; chalk is a much better option than gloves. If you get strong enough, at one point grip will be an issue, at this point, chalk with over/under grip is going to serve you when gloves fail. If gloves provided better grip, you'd see strongmen using them in competition. I wonder why we don't see that?

Back